Uninstalling Vista...

Computer Guru said:
Hey, are you comfortable opening your PC?

The easiest way to do it would be to temporarily attach the HD we're working on to the other PC, work on it there from within Windows, then move it back. It would be a lot faster.
It's a laptop... But otherwise I could do it.

OK.
Yeah, so just copy those files over (preferable to copy them from an XP install (i.e. the other computer) instead of Vista), and then boot into the XP DVD and do those steps on the previous page.

Computer Guru said:
ps_hansen said:
Computer Guru said:
OK, no problem.
Grab those files from the other computer, and copy them to the Windows.old folder :smile:
Oh... I thought I should copy those from Vista's Windows folder!?
No.
From the root directory.
For example, if Vista is installed to E:\ those files would be in E:\
Okay... But well, none of the files are there. Vista is installed in C:\ and contains

Program Files (with all the programs I had when I was running XP)
temp
Users
Windows.old
Windows
BOOTSECT.BAK
ntsign_incr.txt

Those are the only files in the root...

ah... you need to enable the viewing of hidden files and folders and protected OS files and folders.
Open My Computer
Press "alt"
Press "Tools" | "Folder Options" | "View"
Check "Show Hidden Files and Folders"
Uncheck "Hide Protected Operating System Files"

Computer Guru said:
ah... you need to enable the viewing of hidden files and folders and protected OS files and folders.
Open My Computer
Press "alt"
Press "Tools" | "Folder Options" | "View"
Check "Show Hidden Files and Folders"
Uncheck "Hide Protected Operating System Files"
Haha... Stupid me... I couldn't figure out where those menus were... Well, I'll try it...

lol... that's OK, the Vista UI has drastically changed over XP's... hopefully for the better though ATM it doesn't much look it... :frowning:

Computer Guru said:
lol... that's OK, the Vista UI has drastically changed over XP's... hopefully for the better though ATM it doesn't much look it... :frowning:
Well, I am watching an awful amount of files being listed on my screen now, all of them located in Windows.old. So what I wait for now is to write

Code:
shutdown -r -t 0

if I have understood it correctly...

yeah.
ATM it is copying Windows.old back to the main drive.
The next command simply tells the PC to restart. :smile:

Oh, I almost forgot.
Before you restart, you need to remove the Vista bootloader.

Still in the recovery console (where you are now):
Code:
cd x:\boot\
bootsect.exe /nt52 all /force

sorry!

Computer Guru said:
Oh, I almost forgot.
Before you restart, you need to remove the Vista bootloader.

Still in the recovery console (where you are now):
Code:
cd x:\boot\
bootsect.exe /nt52 all /force

sorry!
I removed the Vista bootloader with VistaBOOTPro before I got the console...
The shutdown command doesn't work... It just says 'shutdown' is not regocnigzed as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Glad you used VBPRO in time!

Just close the cmd window
Code:
exit
press 'x' on the screen, and reboot :smile:

(if all else fails, shutdown via the power switch :smile:)

W00T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so happy for you... And glad you got it to work.. I'm surprised it was that easy though!!!

OK, I'll be writing a guide soon... Congrats Peter!

Computer Guru said:
W00T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so happy for you... And glad you got it to work.. I'm surprised it was that easy though!!!

OK, I'll be writing a guide soon... Congrats Peter!
That sounds like a good idea. Please send me a link when you have written it. I'll be happy to post a link on my website.

Computer Guru said:
Oh yeah.
Delete all the .vista files now.. you're done :smile:
I don't need to delete the .vista files. I am able to delete the whole partition, make a new one and format it. So there's absolutely nothing left on my C drive.

Hey guys! At this very moment I'm sitting in front of my pc - running XP. Just wanted you to know. It can be done. It's not impossible. Thank you!

Peter, it was our pleasure. We hope you'll stick around the NeoSmart forums and help others as well, you sure do seem to know your way about Vista!

Seriously though, it's a rare find for someone to trust us implicitly and watch us delete their bootsector but be willing to risk it, the final credit goes to you!

Of course I'll stick around... I really like the site. I didn't doubt trusting you guys, I just wanted this to work and was almost willing to do anything. Please let me know if I can do something for you. As soon as my website is up running I'll definitely post a link to this site! I love it.

Back