Uninstalling Vista...

Thanks for those kind words Pete!
What you can do is just pass the word around, these forums are new, and NST (NeoSmart Technologies) loves to help.. but only if people can find out about it and know to post their issues here :smile:

Jane said:
Thanks for those kind words Pete!
What you can do is just pass the word around, these forums are new, and NST (NeoSmart Technologies) loves to help.. but only if people can find out about it and know to post their issues here :smile:
That's the least I can do!

Sarge said:
Can anyone tell me: why NO ONE wants to keep Windows Vista?! Is it that bad?!
No, it's not bad. I just didn't like it. I'm too dependent on my computer to run a beta OS. And it's only beta so there's still a lot of bugs. And well, I must say, I like XP better. I think Vista is too overloaded with lots of unuseful stuff - but that's only my opinion. I just like to keep it simple, and Vista gives me too many new impressions at one time. I'd rather wait for the final release. But at that time I probably switched to Mac - it's only a matter of time. Until now, I run XP, and happy that I do.

O Wise Ones…

I “unwisely” installed Vista Beta 2 on my home XP pc without backing up anything and am way “up” the proverbial river, sans paddle!

Searching for help online I came across your Ramblings of a Computer Guru “So You Overwrote…” article. Hope was reborn but I’m at the end of my wits (not a far trip!) and need clarification on some of your steps.

Please take pity …

I’ve copied the 6 files you noted over to the “Windows.old” folder.

§ When you write “burn Vista to a DVD” - exactly which part of Vista needs to be burned?
§ I found your VistaBootPRO file and am able to download that – would it help me?
§ Microsoft mailed me the Vista dvd (Beta 2 x86 English, 0406 Part #X1-71068-02 Bootable) - can I use it?

You’ll see I’m “challenged” in these areas and will happily rise up and call you “blessed” – if you can only share just a little more knowledge.

Many thanks in advance,
In all seriousness – “SAVE ME!!!!!” :unamused:

Hello GA, and welcome to the NeoSmart Forums ;D

You can use the Vista DVD you have instead of "burning" one, and if you read the guide it explicitly mentions where it would be useful to use it - just follow the steps with your Vista DVD and all should work fine. You don't need to use VistaBootPRO.

I think I followed directions as stated with this result:

F:\Users\Daddy>cd \

F:\>bootsect.exe /nt52 all /force
Target volumes will be updated with NTLDR compatible bootcode.

Could not map drive partitions to the associated volume device objects:
Access is denied.
F:\>

Any ideas as to what went wrong?

Many thanks,
G. A.

You have to do that step either

1) With UAP off
2) In safe mode
3) Logged in as administrator.

Hope it helps :smile:

Hi guys nice to find a sub forum for Vista... thankyou... and I hope the responce keeps it going. When I found your guide for rescuing XP I was encouraged but I have an added complication and was wondering if there might be a workaround for it as well? I had/have a RAID 0 array in place wich Vista recognizes, however I did not install the RAID drivers during the Vista installation :crazy: and so when I attempt to change the directory from the command prompt to in my case F: it is not recognised. Is there any way I can retain my RAID 0 array, save my windows.old or XP and reinstall Vista? I have all the needed files in the Vista partition except MSDOS.SYS and I also have VistaBootPro or is it inevitable that I will need to start from scratch?

Not at all Tim - but first, welcome to NeoSmart Technologies :smile:

Don't worry, you don't need to reformat your XP.
I need you to boot into the Vista DVD recovery console, and try the letters from C:\ to F:\ and X:\

Just go:
Code:
c:
cd \
dir

That will list the folders in drive C
Do this for each of the letters, until you find a letter that the DIR command returns the windows.old folder.

Good luck!

All went well ! thankyou GURU for your help :smile: my START - All Programs - directory is empty and XP is saying it can't find my "document and settings ( my user name ) desktop settings " but I'm hoping that's just a directory naming/location thing. Once again thankyou .... as I learn I will browse these forums and if I can help others I will .

Your very welcome Tim.

As for your current issue: has the drive letter changed? Is it still C:\ or is it something else (that is if it was C:\ before Vista....)?

It would certainly be appreciated if you'd stick around and help others too - after all, that's how the non-profit model works :grinning:

And remember, if you need anything else, we're here :wink:

(PS, easy way to help NeoSmart: tell people about us! We may be new, but that doesn't mean we're no good!!)

No the drive letter hasn't changed it was F:\ in XP prior to installing vista and it was F:\ in vista this was the letter assigned after my two hard drives where made into a RAID 0 array. However in the vista recovery console all was listed under C:\ ...... I did change the computer name in vista baybe thats the problem ?

I'll be telling people for sure ! :smile:

Yes Documents and Settings does exist it's in the root directory of F:\ in the Windows.old.vista folder. I copied this folder to the root directory F:\ however it's greyed out and is not accessible.

I have three folders in my F:\ directory they are Windows, Windows.old.vista and Windows.vista

At boot as the system loads XP it tells me that it can't load a user profile or a tempoary user profile and goes ahead and allocates a machine ID based user profile. I have no administration access so I'm a bit stuck. Thanks for your interest :smile:

That was a mistake: your windows.old folder had the required folders - but they were hidden.
When you copied the other folder from the .old directory to it you overwrote the existing settings.

The *files* are still physically there in you username folder in D&S, but besides that your settings are wiped.

Sorry!

Hi
I just tried to uninstall Vista from my c: drive but during renaming I get message that Recycled could not be found.

Please help.

Back