Unmountable boot volume

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

phatorbit

First off I have read every forum and post out there on this so far and none of them apply. Here it is, i have a compaq laptop v5000. I get the old umountable boot volume.

List of things tried

1. Cannot boot CD, selected the correct options in the bios and even the alternate boot screens and it did not work. (no floppy by the way) I have two different cd's and I have verified that they both work.

2. None of the boot options work, safe mode, networking prompt, last known, etc.

3. I have reset the bios to the orignal defaults with no change.

Since I CANNOT BOOT TO ANY KIND OF CD I desperately need some help. I have seen people out there with this problem who post the same way I do, but people always post the same dumb responses that dont apply and say "hope it helps"

I would love to boot the windows CD and chkdisk this or fixboot but I cannot boot. SO PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!:x

Hi phatorbit, welcome to NeoSmart Technologies.

Well, I won't waste your time suggesting stuff you know don't work, so to get to the point:

1) You're sure that your BIOS is configured to bot from the CD.
2) You're sure the CDs work.
3) You still can't get it to boot.

Therefore, logically, the only other option is that your computer is physically not working the way its supposed to and cannot boot/read from the CD drive.

If this is the case, then your only other options are to try to boot from a USB drive or sticking the drive in another PC and fixing it from there.

Addendum:

This isn't a bug in NeoSmart software, so it's in the wrong forum.

Topic moved.

Last edited:
I do not believe that the CD-ROM drive is physically damaged. The CD still spools up like its going to read it so I dont think that its broke...The USB idea is probably my best bet. I will have to get windows PE, im not sure if that USB thing will even work. lol

Addendum:

Hey Guru, what if I took apart the laptop and found the CMOS battery and flashed the bios by hand. I have no clue where the CMOS is on this compaq but if it is worth a shot I will try it.

Addendum:

and yes Guru to all of the above

Last edited by a moderator:
Trying to take apart the laptop yourself is risky at best. There are so many little screws and other things that could just get lost. Plus the mother boards on most laptops are upside down. So that the components are facing the inside since the keyboard lays on teh back of the motherboard.

I have opened a few laptops up to work on them and even i would be scared to do this. A Drive removal is far easier than a CMOS battery removal. I would try to get a USB drive and get it hooked up to another PC. The CD Drive may spin up but since it doesnt read from it it still could be dead or damaged.

"flashing the CMOS by hand" isn't possible. Unless you mean resetting it - but that's no different than resetting it from within the BIOS itself.

even if in the boot options a flash drive or usb drive is not listed if I plug one in an reboot it should show up in the bios right?

If so, then it seems like

A. boot into windows PE

or

B. screw the hard drive and just go get a device to retrieve the data.

If anyone else knows any better way, you win...

Why not just use a LiveCD and get the info off? then use a XP CD or Vista DVD adn re-install Windows?

even if in the boot options a flash drive or usb drive is not listed if I plug one in an reboot it should show up in the bios right?
It depends on your motherboard. Mine does, but I've seen others that don't.

Why not just use a LiveCD and get the info off? then use a XP CD or Vista DVD adn re-install Windows?
Because, according to the OP, he cannot boot from the his CD drive at all.

I am going to install windows USB sticke edition 60mb on my flash drive and attempt to boot Guru. If this doesn't work what device do i need to read a laptop hd in a pc?

You will need a IDE to USB cable. They go for about $20 or so from online retailers. You can also use a external enclosured that uses internal hard drives. Those are a bit more expensive. About $40 or more.

ok, well i booted into bart PE on my flash drive and I am at a C: prompt with dos......a littl help here.

Being the victim of a crashed computer does not give you the right to be rude to those that try to help - please refrain from making personal attacks and keep all conduct professional at all times.

Mak is right - he didn't say "follow the steps in this document to the letter" but he gave you a reference to use, which would be all you need if you simply thought it through.

Solution: copy the programs used in the guide mak linked to onto your flash drive with another PC, then use them from the DOS prompt.

well anyways then, I am in BartPE, i got the USB to boot into it and i am at what would be the desktop for BartPE, how would I go about repairing my boot.ini or what needs to be done Guru

Try to be as detailed as you can so I can get out of your hair lol :smile: I am at the desktop on BartPE, now it is an act of god that I have made it this far. Sry again Mak, no offense, just furious wit this comp. I need to know to either re-install windows on top of itself (you techs know why) or repair the boot.ini. I have tried using the dos command fixboot, fixmbr, but neither work. I suspect because they are not there. I am running a check disk on the C: right now, but I am not sure with what it will help. I am better off than I was two days ago because I can see stuff on the screen now, I feel like I beaten the hard part so we are almsot there, heeeeeelppp!

Addendum:

I read the article on how to rebuild the boot.ini and I understand how to do that. The problem I have is that I do not understand how to replace the recreated boot.ini file with the corrupt, I know that you could use dos commands but I cannot really access the C drive from BartPE, you know what I mean?

No idea what you mean actually.. sorry.

How do you mean you cannot access drive C:\?

Well its like this, when I am in bartPE I can get to the dos command. I change the drive letter to my CD ROM which actually works, I can load the install windows screen but it wants to install it on the flash (aka not enough room and not what I want) and I can go to the X: drive, which is the temp C: for bartPE and the B: drive which is the RAM drive. I can run a chkdsk on the C, but I cannot change the drive letter to C: and copy anything to C in dos. I try using the A42 tool or w/e and it can see the local disk C: but not access it. Just try to think of it as I just got to BartPE, what should I do if want to fix the boot.ini or reinstall windows ontop of itself. Step by step simple instructions would be great :smile: lol hope this helps, i am watching the forum second by second

Addendum:

i resolved the issue. thank you to all who helped:frowning:

dude makaveli , you CANT READ, stop, please

At least i am trying to help. You came here for help. Which is what i am trying to provide. The resources are out there yet you keep asking for help. I am doing my best with the limited knownledge that you have given us. I cant fix a PC from who know how far away with only being able to read what the problem is. With not knowing what was done to create this issue.

Try to be as detailed as you can so I can get out of your hair lol :smile: I am at the desktop on BartPE, now it is an act of god that I have made it this far. Sry again Mak, no offense, just furious wit this comp. I need to know to either re-install windows on top of itself (you techs know why) or repair the boot.ini. I have tried using the dos command fixboot, fixmbr, but neither work. I suspect because they are not there. I am running a check disk on the C: right now, but I am not sure with what it will help. I am better off than I was two days ago because I can see stuff on the screen now, I feel like I beaten the hard part so we are almsot there, heeeeeelppp!

Addendum:

I read the article on how to rebuild the boot.ini and I understand how to do that. The problem I have is that I do not understand how to replace the recreated boot.ini file with the corrupt, I know that you could use dos commands but I cannot really access the C drive from BartPE, you know what I mean?

I understand the frustration of this all. But maybe a Linux Distro on your USB would have been better than Bart PE? At least with a Linux Dostro you can work on the C:\ drive easier.

i resolved the issue. thank you to all who helped

So what was the problem and how did you fix it? Please inform us so that we can help out others who have this issue. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back