Verizon FiOS

The trouble is with many ISP's today is they grab headlines announcing fantastic download speeds but then they go and slap a cap on download bandwidth which more or less cancels out any benefits if you are a heavy downloader.

Exactly. Instant, high-speed, portable internet is the Holy Grail of systems designers.

Take every, any gadget in the sci-fi movies you see ("it's the year 3030, and big things are happening!") - they're all about instant access to info on the go. Real-time communication, large bandwidth, and satellite powered. In-flight entertainment where any movie or MP3 you ever heard of is available. Cars that communicate with one-another on a real-time transportation grid. Smart devices. With that kind of speed, everything really is on-demand and in real-time.

Addendum:

The trouble is with many ISP's today is they grab headlines announcing fantastic download speeds but then they go and slap a cap on download bandwidth which more or less cancels out any benefits if you are a heavy downloader.

Fortunately, this does not happen in Southeast Asia. I've heard from users in Taiwan, China, Korea, and Japan with 100mbs+ broadband internet (which is considered normal there! :|) who don't have the download limits we do.

When I stuck up the Vista recovery disc on the blog, I had to disable downloads after 24 hours because Chinese users got hold of the link: Forget Mashable; It's the Chinese You Should Worry About! The NeoSmart Files

Reason: what's a 120MiB download to the people there?

Last edited:
Sadly no. We are in the mist of trying to find a new home. So signing up for a 1 year contract will not be gainful for us. As we dont know if where we plan on moving to would haev FiOS or not. Which at that point we would have to pay the early termination fee. Which totally sucks.

But the only good thing is if we do move to a place that provides it i can get the best service available to me at that time. Teh 50Mb package as we will be closer to the wife's work. Not so much spent on Gas and more spent on my internet. :smile:

Till then i will have to suffer with my unlimited 4Mb connection. :frowning:

Alex, good luck with the move. That's something I've done so many times over the course of my life.
CG - unfortunately in North America caps seem to be the norm rather than the exception. That may change as technology changes, and various law suits get settled.
Rogers (my ISP) advertises blazing speeds then slaps a 100gb/month cap on everyone - crazy.
Their excuse is that a few torrent users were stealing too much bandwidth away from "legitimate" users. I thought ALL paying customers were supposed to be "legitimate".
So much for their advertising for their new "lightning fast" fibre-optic network that had limitless capacity. Maybe they should have stayed with their carrier pigeon network....LOL.
The trouble is that they are the only cableco in town so we are stuck. The alternatives wont work either because they are too slow (dial-up) or I am not in direct line of view for a satellite dish link.

speaking of carrier pigeons heres a joke i recently heard:
As carrier pigeons advanced so did the number of pigeons being sent, instead of one per message two had to be sent.

One to carry the message and the other one to say : Youve got mail :smile: :smile:

Alex, good luck with the move. That's something I've done so many times over the course of my life.
CG - unfortunately in North America caps seem to be the norm rather than the exception. That may change as technology changes, and various law suits get settled.
Rogers (my ISP) advertises blazing speeds then slaps a 100gb/month cap on everyone - crazy.
Their excuse is that a few torrent users were stealing too much bandwidth away from "legitimate" users. I thought ALL paying customers were supposed to be "legitimate".
So much for their advertising for their new "lightning fast" fibre-optic network that had limitless capacity. Maybe they should have stayed with their carrier pigeon network....LOL.
The trouble is that they are the only cableco in town so we are stuck. The alternatives wont work either because they are too slow (dial-up) or I am not in direct line of view for a satellite dish link.
I have a 10GB/Month cap, so don't feel too sorry for yourself :tongueout:

But, yes, that really does suck... I was reading the headlines a week or two back about Time Warner (they own an ISP?) saying that the age of "unlimited downloads" was over, and that pay-as-you-go plans were going to become the norm :frowning:

Time Warner is the old Adelphia which goes thru Road Runner. Which is my ISP. I have not had any cap put on me as of yet. I constantly have things uploadign or downloading. The Vista ISO is one thing that is constantly in uTorrent which is always open on my PC.

I have yet to get a email (Maybe cause i dont have my ISP email setup) or a postage message with anything to do with this stuff. The only reason i like Verizon is that they are neutral.

BetaNews | Verizon exec: No 'policing the Internet' for us

They have stated that they will not "Police" the internet for their users. Which is what i like to hear. Gives me more of a opportunity.

As for the move. I know it will go well. I have moved enough times. This will be the first with the baby though. It will be for the better in the long run. Just tough to leave after 5 years...:wink:

Doesnt apply to me. :smile:

"Consumption Based Billing" will only apply to new customers. An online tool will enable both existing and new subscribers to track their bandwidth usage, " however only new subscribers will be charged incrementally for bandwidth usage above the cap."

I have had the service for over 2 years. So i will not be charged for the usage above the cap. So i am still good with the unlimited bandwidth.

You are lucky. When Rogers announced caps (exactly 3 seconds after announcing internet service in general) nobody escaped.

^ LOL.

My provider started filtering bittorrent traffic after I subscribed, they didn't bother with applying it to new users only. The difference is, we don't have laws protecting consumer's rights here :wink:

Back