Vista 64 Booting freezes after crcdisk.exe

oshan

I've been trying to solve this problem for months. Now I am thinking my config for Easybcd might be an issue.

I have a dual boot XP/Vista Ultimate 64. Xp boots fine but Vista freezes after crcdisk.exe.
If I do a manual reset Vista will ultimatelly boot after about 12 minutes.

Do you guys have any idea if my hunch is right?

Hi oshan, welcome to NST.

A member here (can't recall whom) had a similar problem. In a x64 dual-boot, booting into Vista after booting into XP results in Vista not booting until you physically turn off the machine and then boot into Vista. Booting into Vista after restarting from within Vista (basically, staying away from XP) would work fine.

I'm not sure what their solution was, but it was a bug in Windows not the dual-boot setup.

Do you by any chance have 4GB of RAM?

>Booting into Vista after restarting from within Vista (basically, staying away from XP) would work fine.
Mine has the same issue no matter what the previous OS was.

>Do you by any chance have 4GB of RAM?
Yes, As a matter of fact I do!

I thought I remembered something to do with 4GB of RAM!

This may sound crazy, but try booting with 3GB or less - does it solve the problem? IIRC, it did for that other member.

I don't know what else to recommend. crcdisk hangs are usually associated with missing, corrupted, or incompatible SATA/RAID drivers - are you using either of those configurations?

I'm using Sata but not Raid. I suspected it might be a Sata driver, When I spoke to Microsoft they were unable to confirm this.

Do you just have SATA disks or is there a SATA/IDE mix ?
If you do have an IDE disk mounted, try disconnecting it temporarily to see if the problem disappears.

I'm using Sata but not Raid. I suspected it might be a Sata driver, When I spoke to Microsoft they were unable to confirm this.

OK, try updating the drivers. Grab the latest from the OEM's site (not the motherboard manufacturer, but the chipset manufacturer - most likely Intel).

Your saying to download the latest MOBO drivers for my Board from intel (In this case MSI G33M)
Gosh I didn't think of that, I should have when I saw the mess that is the MSI support site.

Addendum:

Gosh, No luck. :frowning:
Latest MOBO drivers (from Intel)and no luck.... I was so sure that would work.

Last edited:
Sorry, I somehow missed your reply.

Well, the motherboard drivers and the SATA/RAID chipset drivers aren't necessarily one and the same.
What's the link to the file you downloaded?

That one is for USB, AGP, and other onboard chipsets for your motherboard, to the best of my knowledge it doesn't contain the SATA drivers that you need.

Oshan, find out what the current SATA controller is (ICH*, JMicron, etc.) and post the controller's model number here.

Forgive my ignorance, but where would I find out?
I Looked in system information but couldn't find it.

Last edited:
Back