Vista BCD Corrupts every six startups

djdsk8

Have a new system with a fresh install of Vista Ultimate x64. Installed all updates available. Installed Office 2007. Works great for about six startups then the BCD gets corrupted and the error message comes up:

BCD missing or corrupt

I followed the on screen instructions and used the DVD to repair and it worked fine fro about six startups then corrupted again.

So I followed the instructions and manually repaired the Vista bootloader.
Recovering the Vista Bootloader from the DVD - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

that worked for another six startups. So on to using the EasyBCD and followed the instructions for rewriting with it (Very easy by the way!) and yet again it worked for another six startups and Corrupted again.

*note every startup I use Outlook and adobe PDF reader - these are the only programs that run.

Any idea why it keeps corrupting? I've racked my brain like crazy on this one and can't make sense of it. the BCD is perfect and works fine then just corrupts (not exactly six startups but usually around there). Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

I'm sorry I do have other software that I forgot to mention. I have Avast anti-virus home edition installed. (avast.com) Also I have malwarebytes anti-malware installed. (malwarebytes.org)

I'm only using the built in firewall from vista, nothing else.

You got a virus on there. If your current tools aren't detecting it, you'll need to try with some other scanners. Windows doesn't have a habit of lying down on the job every six startups, at least not normally anyway.

You could try scheduling a chkdsk for the Vista partition at next start-up in case the BCD's sitting on a bad patch of HDD. If it finds a bad block and removes it from use, an intermittent problem would resolve itself.

To do that, run
Code:
chkdsk.exe c: /f /r
and it'll say it needs to run at next reboot.

Last edited:
Haven't you missed the "chkdsk" CG ??

It will schedule for the next boot anyway if you do it through explorer/properties/tools for the Windows partition.

Check your hard disk for errors

You can help solve some computer problems and improve the performance of your computer by making sure that your hard disk has no errors.
  1. <LI class=step>Click to open Computer.
    <LI class=step>Right-click the hard disk drive that you want to check, and then click Properties.
    <LI class=step>Click the Tools tab, and then, under Error-checking, click Check Now.
    windows
    If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    To automatically repair problems with files and folders that the scan detects, select Automatically fix file system errors. Otherwise, the disk check will simply report problems but not fix them.
    To perform a thorough disk check, select Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors. This scan attempts to find and repair physical errors on the hard disk itself, and it can take much longer to complete.
    To check for both file errors and physical errors, select both Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors.
  2. Click Start.
Depending upon the size of your hard disk, this may take several minutes. For best results, don't user your computer for any other tasks while it's checking for errors.
Note

• If you select Automatically fix file system errors for a disk that is in use (for example, the partition that contains Windows), you'll be prompted you to reschedule the disk check for the next time you restart your computer.
Sorry this doesn't format well copy/pasted from Vista help
see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265 for legible version.

Last edited:
Back