Vista Blue Screen & unable to boot

misskitty

I am new and willing to learn about computers. Please be patient :smile: I have a Dell Inspiron 1501 with Vista Home OS. I am caught in a cycle. The blue screen code is OxOOOOC1F5. I have a recovery CD (I have a partition and not the real Vista disc) and that did not work. I tried the Vista X 64 Recovery Disc (I tried to boot from the CD ROM drive from accessing F 12). I could hear the disc spin a couple of times but nothing happened. I have run the tests for all the systems on this lap top and nothing failed. Is it dead? Help:angry: Frustrated too!

I would be so grateful for your expert help!

misskitty

Hello misskitty, welcome to NST

When you press F12 and select to boot from the cd drive, you need to press a key to continue when it prompts you to. Otherwise, it'll go on to boot from the hard drive. See our wiki for the recovery proccess as well once you've managed to boot from your recovery disc.

misskitty,

I have had the exact same problem with mine, (except the error code and Inspiron), and I was living in torture. I tried a lot of different things, but only one worked, re-install Windows. Yes, you read right. You have to call Dell, give your info, and then request the CD. Please don't try to fix it. Some technicians might be able to fix it, but the blue screen usually means "Get me re-installed". Just request the CD, and it should be in your mail box in 3-5 business days. :smile:

NOTE: You will have to delete all of your files on your hard drive, since you have to re-install Windows using a "Clean Install" or something like that.

P.S.: Please contact me if you need any help with re-installing Windows.

Justin:

I do not get the prompt to press another key........what do I do then?

misskitty

Addendum:

Master Chief:

How much do they charge you for a vista disc? I am considering cost versus a new computer since they are virtually disposable and the new ones cost less. However, I want to make a cost wise decision.

Thanks for your advise. Let me know about the disc and other advise you might have.

miss kitty

Last edited:
You need to put your CD/DVD drive (or whatever they call it in yours) first in the boot sequence in the BIOS, and then you will get the prompt to press a key to boot from the CD. So press a key. :wink:

Justin:

I do not get the prompt to press another key........what do I do then?

misskitty

Addendum:

Master Chief:

How much do they charge you for a vista disc? I am considering cost versus a new computer since they are virtually disposable and the new ones cost less. However, I want to make a cost wise decision.

Thanks for your advise. Let me know about the disc and other advise you might have.

miss kitty
Misskitty,

The CD is free of charge. Unless you have already ordered the CD, they should not charge you. Don't worry, they won't even charge you of shipping. No problem for the advice.

MasterChief0312

:wink:MasterChief- I called Dell and they want $10 for a new vista operating disc (I have one-I could not boot from that either) and $80 for the Vista disc :frowning: I don't really like Vista. Could I wipe my computer clean (even though I can't boot it) and install Windows XP 98? I hope I make sense :smile:

Thanks so much for your efforts to help me.

misskitty

:wink:MasterChief- I called Dell and they want $10 for a new vista operating disc (I have one-I could not boot from that either) and $80 for the Vista disc :frowning: I don't really like Vista. Could I wipe my computer clean (even though I can't boot it) and install Windows XP 98? I hope I make sense :smile:

Thanks so much for your efforts to help me.

misskitty
Easily. :smile: I like XP better than Vista, too.
Just boot your Windows XP installation CD (assuming you have one), use the built-in partition program to format your Vista partition, and then install XP onto it. Its not that difficult. The key thing to remember is (if you have multiple partitions) the approx. size of your Vista partition, so you can tell them apart from the other partitions, from the setup program. IIRC, the partition seen as C: from the setup program is the partition marked to "active", and the rest of the partitions are lettered after it, in order. So you may not necessarily see the same drive letters for the partitions from the setup program that you do from Vista. So, go by the size.
Then you should have a working XP install.

Jake,

I can get a legitimate xp on ebay so it could be here in a few days. When I put the cd in and boot from it will it ask me to format the vista partition as part of the set up process?

Will you be available for guidance in case I get stuck :smile:

misskitty

Jake,

I can get a legitimate xp on ebay so it could be here in a few days. When I put the cd in and boot from it will it ask me to format the vista partition as part of the set up process?
Not exactly. I don't think it will ask you to format the Vista partition by itself. You will need to tell it to. :brows:
Unfortunately, its been a while since I've installed XP, and its difficult to recall the exact steps. But I believe you will get to a screen where you can select the Vista partition, and then press "F" or some other letter to format it. Then just continue with the installation as normal.
Will you be available for guidance in case I get stuck :smile:

misskitty
Yes, of course. :smile: But if you run into a problem, it'll be good to post graphic screenshots of the situation, so I can follow along better, and figure out a solution. Like I said, its hard for me to visualize right now the exact steps of the XP format/installation process. :wink:

Cheers..

Jake

Jake,

Do you guys have instructions for posting screen shots? I know what you mean but have not done that before. I would like to read up on it while I am waiting for xp disc. It is so frustrating when you have a sick computer........:brows:

misskitty

Jake,

Do you guys have instructions for posting screen shots? I know what you mean but have not done that before. I would like to read up on it while I am waiting for xp disc. It is so frustrating when you have a sick computer........:brows:

misskitty
Its simple actually. Just follow these simple steps:
While viewing a thread on these forums, hit the "POST REPLY" button at the top or bottom of the page, and in the page that comes up, scroll down (using the scroll bar at the right side of the page), and you should see a button called "Manage Attachments".
So click that button, and a new window will pop up. In that new window, click "Browse", and then after navigating to where you stored the screenshot, select it, and click "Open". Now, click on the "Upload" button to upload the image.
Then type whatever you want in the new post area, and hit "Submit Reply".
And you will see the image you uploaded has been attached to your new post.

Jake

And you can take screen shots on a sick computer? I will talk to you again a in a few days when I get the xp disc

Thanks a million!

misskitty

And you can take screen shots on a sick computer? I will talk to you again a in a few days when I get the xp disc

Thanks a million!

misskitty
No, you will need to use a digital camera to take the pictures, and then you can transfer them to whatever computer it is you're using to make posts here, and upload them here.

misskity and Justin,

Wow, you guys sure have talked alot since I've last viewed this thread...

misskitty,

I'm sorry I haven't said anything to you about the CD, I'm pretty busy, so I can't really check the forum/thread out. Anyways... Dell should HAVE NOT charged you for it. Please send me a "PM" so I can help you further on it, if you want. I agree with you and Justin, XP is better (in our opinion), if you don't want Vista, I understand, I was glad to help you in your problem. BTW: How much is the CD for XP you bought? I really want XP on my computer. Even though I have Windows Vista Home Basic, and isn't much of a bother, I still would like XP. :smile: Anyways, glad to help, and please contact me about the XP CD.

Appreciate it,

MasterChief0312

XP CD

MasterChief and Justin,

I looked on ebay and they have a coa with key for 98 xp for about $60. I am counting on you guys to help me install this - I appreciate all the help both of you have given me. Going to order CD today.

miss kitty

Addendum:

Jake,

I am looking at xp pro. Do I really need service pack 3?

MasterChief - no problem if you are busy. I understand. I found xp pro on ebay for 67.50 sp2 and 79.99 for sp3. They have the key and coa.

Let me know what you guys think. I appreciate both of you helping me.

miss kitty

Last edited:
Not that big of a difference between the price of the SP2 and the SP3 CDs, but service packs are free (if you have a legimate product key)...:wink:
As for me, I prefer to have the latest updates of software (especially when it comes to Windows).

Jake,

I have XP Pro installed Yes! Thank you. It was easy as you said. I am having trouble with a wireless connnection. Does XP have the ability to detect other available connections such as in the neighborhood like Vista does? I am having trouble setting up a connection. I have a Dell Inspiron and it has a wireless card in the lap top (I reloaded the Dell drivers NOT the operating system for the boot disk for vista. The reason I cannot hook up to my wireless system is we seem to have lost the driver disk. dlink was not available to talk to tonight and they did not have a download of drivers for my modem on their website. Any suggestions ?? I also noticed in the tool bar on the main screen I do not have a computer icon in the right corner, does that mean anything? Awaiting your reply........

misskitty:grinning:

Jake,

I have XP Pro installed Yes! Thank you. It was easy as you said. I am having trouble with a wireless connnection. Does XP have the ability to detect other available connections such as in the neighborhood like Vista does? I am having trouble setting up a connection. I have a Dell Inspiron and it has a wireless card in the lap top (I reloaded the Dell drivers NOT the operating system for the boot disk for vista. The reason I cannot hook up to my wireless system is we seem to have lost the driver disk. dlink was not available to talk to tonight and they did not have a download of drivers for my modem on their website. Any suggestions ?? I also noticed in the tool bar on the main screen I do not have a computer icon in the right corner, does that mean anything? Awaiting your reply........

misskitty:grinning:
Hey misskitty. :smile:
Yes, I had the same problem after loading XP on my laptop (a Dell Studio 1535). The wireless wouldn't work...because I needed the driver for it. If you tell me your specific model, I can maybe help you find a driver that would work in your case. The Vista drivers wont work with XP.

Jake,

I am not sure if you got my last message so forgive the repeat if you did. I installed XP Pro !Yes! with your expert encouragement. I did get an error and on the 3rd try the program did download. The problem is I cannot get an wireless connection (my neighbor has an unsecured one). I cannot connect to mine here as I have a missing D-Link driver disk (I will be talking to D-Link for a replacement, there were no downloads online). The XP does not (as Vista does) have the part where you can connect or look for connections. Does the error have something to do with this? or am I not doing something to connect. Do I reload xp and see if the error message comes up again so I can send it to you? I noticed I do not have the computer icon in the lower right of my screen. Please help. Thanks

misskitty

Addendum:

Jake, oops I now see you did reply. Sorry. It is a Dell Inspiron 1501.

Thanks for replying and helping me. Will I eventually need the d-link driver disk to connect to my wireless system (I assume so but do not want to chase rabbits :smile: ).

misskitty

Last edited:
Back