Vista Bootloader Problems

Well currently there is no guides on how to restore a Vista profile. I looked. So that was the best option to link you to how to create and transfer the old profile over. :brows:

That is the best suggestion i have for you at this time. Either that or run only the Admin account.:tongueout:

You'll find your old data in C:\Users\YOUR_USER_NAME_HERE\*

Create a new account in the "Users" control panel applet, and copy the files to there.

When I boot into safe mode, all it gives me is a black screen with the words "Safe Mode" on each corner of the screen. I can move the cursor around, but that's it.

It sounds as if your Vista install went south for the winter. Unless Guru has any ideas to me it seems only a re-install is the final answer.

OK, well like Mak said, you really don't have any other option.

You'll have to get your hands on a Vista DVD and format and re-install.

Thanks to MS stupidity and naivette, there is no longer a "Repair reinstall" option.

No. Provided you don't actually format, they'll still be there but you'll have to manually retreive them from a folder called Windows.old

Well, now I have another problem. I formatted the drive, and ALL the data was erased. It's back to when it started, and it STILL WON'T INSTALL! It's still stuck at 0%! Now what do I do?

Is it a legit DVD? Only thing i can think of is that it isnt a legit DVD and that the files wont extract. Sorry had to edit this post since i didnt see it continued on to the next page. >.<

Last edited:
Alright so then you have a legit DVD that is not repairing nor isntalling Vista. The only thing left is to use something like GParted and format the drive. Maybe there is something left on the drive from teh previous install that is preventing it from installing now. Vista doesnt do a full format it only does a quick format which is not always the best option.

Do you have a XP disc?

I don't think this is a legit or not issue, I've seen the Extracting 0% error on PCs with damaged hard drives and/or partitions.

Luckily for me I keep my operating systems on one drive and data on another, so I just formatted the first and reinstalled Vista.

In one of the previous posts he mentioned he doesn't have an XP CD, or else he could have used the "fixmbr" command.

Back