Vista Hibernate not working after dual boot

MpDay

Hello,

I have a Vista Ultimate machine, running from C:. This is my default configuration, because I always work in Vista.
Because gaming performance really s*cks in Vista, I added an XP installation on a clean D: partition. (D: is on the same physical disc).

After installing XP, the Vista boot disappeared, so I used EasyBCD to rewrite it. This all worked fine, and now I can choose Vista or XP at start-up.

But, since I always use hibernate in Vista... it stopped working after I added XP.
When I press Hibernate, the screen turns blank for about 4 seconds, and then the locked screen appears again! The system never shuts down. For some reason, the locked screen always appears when I press Hibernate.

I have checked the power settings, and set: "Always allow the computer to sleep", just in case. In CMD, I have disabled and enabled Hibernation: "powercfg -h on". This re-creates the hiberfil.sys file, so all looks fine.

However, the event log gives me this System Error when I try to hibernate:
Source: volmgr
Event ID: 45
The system could not sucessfully load the crash dump driver.

I have tried the Vista SRT (Startup Repair Tool), but it doesn't fix the problem.
BTW, this is my bcdedit config:

Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier {bootmgr}
device partition=C:
description Windows Boot Manager
locale en-US
inherit {globalsettings}
default {current}
resumeobject {079c179b-f3ac-11db-9423-e9ab32df7d26}
displayorder {current}
{ntldr}
toolsdisplayorder {memdiag}
timeout 30
Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {current}
device partition=C:
path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description Microsoft Windows Vista
locale en-US
inherit {bootloadersettings}
osdevice partition=C:
systemroot \Windows
resumeobject {079c179b-f3ac-11db-9423-e9ab32df7d26}
nx OptIn
Windows Legacy OS Loader
------------------------
identifier {ntldr}
device partition=C:
path \ntldr
description Microsoft Windows XP

I always thought it had something to do with the resumeobject, but I don't know what to do.
Do you guys have any idea why hibernate stopped working, or how to fix this issue?
Thank you!

Hi MpDay, welcome to NeoSmart Technologies.

Provided you used EasyBCD "Reinstall bootloader feature" and not the "Reset BCD data" then this is not an EasyBCD-related error.

All EasyBCD does when you use the Manage Bootloader page is tell the MBR whether to launch the XP or Vista bootloader at startup. It doesn't actually change any of the settings or options in the bootloader itself, so that "resumeobject" is the same as it was before.

It sounds to me like your hiberfil.sys file has an issue - but it could be one of many things.

Can you standby?

(topic moved to Vista Support).

Thank you for the quick reply.

Yes, stand-by works just fine. Actually everything works just like it should, only hiberation fails.
Indeed, I have used the Rewrite BCD feature of the program. I tried this several times, after I noticed hibernate stopped working.

I don't know how I can further investigate this. The event log only reports the System Error with the "Crash dump driver". There's no minidump or whatsoever.

The hiberfil.sys file is fine. When I user powercfg -h off, the file disappears. When I reboot, I re-create the file using "powercfg -h on", and the hiberfil.sys file is created again. I already de-installed Daemon-tools, because this is a known program for having hibernate issues.

Vista Updates - MsBetas.org

Check that out. Those are some updates that Microsoft has released that were not part of the Windows Update program. I know that is at least 1 in there that deals with a Hibernation/Standby problem.

Other than that it sounds like most laptops using Vista. I would say SP1 will resolve most of your problems. But that wont be out for another month or so. Sorry.

Hi there, new to the forum.And I have the EXACT same problem!!

I can't find any documentation regarding this issue anywhere...

In Vista, I'm able to put my laptop to sleep, restart, shutdown, everything's working as usual except for the hibernation.

In XP, I'm able to perform every power related operation without any trouble.

I tried so many things, reinstalling all my drivers, uninstalling software, nothing solves yet.

I also had only Vista installed, then I installed XP in a second partition and the problem started to happen.

What is this? And why isn't this happening to everyone?

My laptop is a Toshiba Portegé M400 (tablet pc) and it worked JUST FINE before installing XP.

The only thing I can think of right now is, since this event is related to the HDD, my HDD needs RAID drivers. But everything seems to function so well... I never had a BSOD in this machine.

Can someone provide with a clue? Any thoughts appreciated :smile:

Addendum:

Installed yet another Vista (Started Edition, not activated) in a new partition.

Boot Manager was automatically updated and from the new Vista I'm able to hibernate properly.

But my old Vista is still not hibernating, for the same unknown reason.

I'm performing an upgrade "from Vista to Vista" (installing over the old Vista) to see if that works.

Regards

Last edited:
It could be that when you "downgraded" your PC it messed with the settings on teh laptop and is preventing the PC from using Hibernation. Sicne a new fersh install works just fine it leads me to think that installing XP has someone messed with the Vista original install. Since it is basically a downgrade.

You say it works in the XP install but not the original Vista. Were you able to do it originally in Vista before installing XP?

It could be that when you "downgraded" your PC it messed with the settings on teh laptop and is preventing the PC from using Hibernation. Sicne a new fersh install works just fine it leads me to think that installing XP has someone messed with the Vista original install. Since it is basically a downgrade.

You say it works in the XP install but not the original Vista. Were you able to do it originally in Vista before installing XP?
Yes.

Original conditions:
- Partition 1: Vista (NTFS)
- Partition 2: personal files (NTFS)

Procedure to install XP:
Split Partition 1 in two:
- Partition 1: Vista (NTFS)
- Partition 2: empty (NTFS)
- Partition 3: personal files (NTFS)

At this point it's still possible to hibernate.

Install XP in second partition;

Boot from Vista DVD and restore the boot loader from the command line available in the recover tools (bootsect /nt60 all)

At this point, I don't know whether it's possible to hibernate in Vista.

Booted to the installed Vista and added the XP entry in bcdedit.

- XP is running fine;
- Vista is running fine except for hibernation (screen goes black as usual but, after a couple of seconds, goes to the locked account screen - like if you just had turned your PC back on after hibernating).
- System Events logs an error with volmgr (id 45) for each time I try to hibernate.

If you have any further questions, please bother :smile:

Regards

So it is a issue with the volume manager not just the hibernation. So it seems that it was the XP isntall that messed with the Vista install. It seems that it has messed with the Volume Controller. I will see if i can find any info on this.

So it is a issue with the volume manager not just the hibernation. So it seems that it was the XP isntall that messed with the Vista install. It seems that it has messed with the Volume Controller. I will see if i can find any info on this.
Thanks for your concern.

The thing that bothers me the most is that this issue is undocumented @ microsoft's KB. (a simple search for "volmgr" within "windows vista" returns 3 articles, if i can recall, and none of them is directly related to this particular behavior).

Look, here's the System Event below, it's always the very same error:
- System

- Provider

[ Name] volmgr

- EventID 45

[ Qualifiers] 49156

Level 2

Task 0

Keywords 0x80000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2008-01-02T23:10:01.141Z

EventRecordID 39539

Channel System

Computer xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Security
- EventData

\Device\HarddiskVolume1

0000000001000000000000002D0004C006200000100000C000000000000000000000000000000000
Dados binários:

Em Palavras
0000: 00000000 00000001 00000000 C004002D
0008: 00002006 C0000010 00000000 00000000
0010: 00000000 00000000

Em Bytes
0000: 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 ........
0008: 00 00 00 00 2D 00 04 C0 ....-..À
0010: 06 20 00 00 10 00 00 C0 . .....À
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

I guess this is indirectly related to the BitLocker functionality.
This means that not all Vista releases might be affected; only those with BitLocker available.

The thing is, I don't know how to correct the situation. I can't post the full error message here, because it's not in English. I'll just simplify it:

- I can't "upgrade from Vista to Vista" because Setup shows a warning about BitLocker being in an unknown state.

- I can't activate/deactivate BitLocker via Control Panel due to the following error (translated):
"The System Volume isn't correctly configured to allow the use of BitLocker. BitLocker's critical system files aren't available. Use «Windows Boot Restore» (they must be talking about the install DVD) to restore these files."

I need help restoring these files, really... I'm not having luck with it. I already tried the Restore from Vista DVD. I'll just do it again and see how it works out.

Addendum:

Just a detail: I have NEVER used BitLocker.

Last edited:
Now BitLocker is a Vista Ultimate feature that isnt installed by default. It is a Ultimate Extra that you have to download and install seperately. So this issue you are coming across seems very odd to me.

I am guessing hte Vista disc you have is a Vista Basic or Home Premium for which you got when you purchased the system or the OS originally correct? It isnt a Vista Ultimate disc.

Now M$ has said that each DVD would contain every version of Vista it would just be the serial on how it would dertermine which features were installed.

So let me ask this. Did you get a Ultimate serial? If so would you be willing to backup your data, format and re-install and see if this error continues? Because it seems that a upgrade is impossible that only a fresh install will help you out there. I am just hoping Microsoft didnt lie about the fact that each disc contains every version of Vista.

To me honestly this sounds like the only resolution to the problems you are having. Unless Mahmoud has a better idea.

I haven't a clue. Only thought is to install the latest chipset drivers in hopes that they fix something with volume manager?

Could be a possibility. this seems really strange that they give BitLocker errors on a system that never had it installed let alone when it is a Extra that isnt installed by default...

OK, for the 3 posts above:

- BitLocker is a feature available only in Vista Enterprise and Ultimate.

- I have Vista Ultimate installed.

- M$ speaks true, every DVD contains all the versions, it's the serial that determines which one is to be installed (if you provide no serial at the time you install, you can choose to install any version).

- BitLocker IS INSTALLED with these versions (Enterprise and Ultimate), it's like part of the O.S. itself, the thing is, it comes "deactivated" by default.

- I have NEVER EVER opened up the BitLocker utility and/or tried to "activate" it. Until today, of course.

I just thought it COULD have something to do with it, because this is the only clue that I've had so far, apart from the volmgr error.

Because BitLocker is part of the O.S., it might have to do some check before letting the system hibernate. If not, there would be the risk of being unable to boot when you turned it on.
I know this is a strange behavior, because BitLocker is disabled. No second thoughts, it's disabled. I would need to have the boot manager in a separate partition IF I wanted to activate it. And if I try to do that, it will display that "system files missing" error, posted above.

Then in the case of standby, it wouldn't have to do that check, because the system doesn't boot when you "wake it up" again.

And yes, I've already said that a clean install DOES hibernate.

The only thing that prevents me from clean installing is that I need an entire day to configure all my applications. It's quite a few of them...

EDIT: alright I missed some information...
- Chipset drivers don't solve anything. I've already installed 4 different versions of drivers for my chipset.

- I have an Ultimate DVD, with an Ultimate serial and an Ultimate installation in my tablet PC :smile:

- I tried to upgrade to the Ultimate version as well. Also tried other versions that wouldn't support BitLocker, but they don't let me upgrade just as well... The warning in the installer is this: "Setup was unable to determine if BitLocker Drive Encryption is in use."

Last edited:
OK, for the 3 posts above:

- BitLocker is a feature available only in Vista Enterprise and Ultimate.

- I have Vista Ultimate installed.

- M$ speaks true, every DVD contains all the versions, it's the serial that determines which one is to be installed (if you provide no serial at the time you install, you can choose to install any version).

- BitLocker IS INSTALLED with these versions (Enterprise and Ultimate), it's like part of the O.S. itself, the thing is, it comes "deactivated" by default.

- I have NEVER EVER opened up the BitLocker utility and/or tried to "activate" it. Until today, of course.

Well most of this info is known. The only reason i was double guessing is because the versions of Vista that i have used all came from MSDN and were all full versions. No upgrades and nothing but Ultimate installs for me. I really should try to use HP or Enterprise since i do have them....

Yes you are correct about the BitLocker being installed on Ultiamte and Enterprise. It is part of the OS the "extra" is a addition to the BitLocker utility that is supposed to "enhance" the experience. What ever that truly means.

I am with you. I have never opened up or used the BitLocer tool sicne i have so many passwords to remember i would hate to lsoe the BitLocker Pass an dlose my stuff. Plus i format and install like every other month so having it is pointless to me.

You say the Chipset does nothing. So this comes down to a volume manager bug or something with bitlocker. So let me ask this. How did you create the partitions? Did you use the Disk Management tool in Vista or a 3rd party application like GParted?

You say the Chipset does nothing. So this comes down to a volume manager bug or something with bitlocker. So let me ask this. How did you create the partitions? Did you use the Disk Management tool in Vista or a 3rd party application like GParted?
My partitions are managed with Paragon Partition Manager, version 8.5, build 1473 (07.03.07 ) Professional. Vista Compatible, they say. And, as far as I know, true. I've always used it and never had problems. And trust me I've changed my partitions a couple of times through time BEFORE messing up with XP installs (I have separate partitions for software, personal files and backups), and I was still able to hibernate all along...

Look, I'm going to do some last resort moves. I just got an Acronis product.

I'm backing up my entire HD and then I'm going to perform a "clean" Vista install over my active (first) partition.

I'll install EVERYTHING I have currently installed in this O.S. and I'll be trying to hibernate once in a while.
If I'm successful 'till the end, I'll backup the system again.
Then I'll add the entry for XP (already in my second partition) to Vista's boot manager.

If in the end I'm able to work with both systems with no issues, then I can only imagine that the problem is related to the operations performed either by XP installation or bootsect.exe, the util from Vista's Installation DVD.

Well basically I'm trying to fix the problem but I'm also trying to reproduce it. I want to report it to M$ in case this is reproducible. SP1 should contain a fix for this.

However I'm not in the mood of installing XP again. I needed to borrow an USB Floppy Drive in order to install the HDD drivers. Then I needed a floppy. Then I needed a floppy that would function.

Not so common hardware in my PC:
- HDD needs drivers to be recognized and used by Windows (laptop supports RAID 0 with spare drive plugged into the CD-DVD slot);
- System supports TPM, although it has always been disabled in the BIOS.

Have you tried to use nlite to slipstream those drivers right into your XP install to avoid all this?

Have you tried to use nlite to slipstream those drivers right into your XP install to avoid all this?
I tried that a couple of times (in both driver integration modes: PnP and the other one) but the XP installer (boot from CD) just wouldn't recognize my HDD.

So I used an USB floppy drive, since my BIOS supports USB floppy drives as legacy devices.

That was TOSHIBA's recommendation anyway (readme file together with the controllers).

EDIT: at this point, I have done a clean Vista install, erasing only my first partition.

Vista is now with all my applications and updates, hibernating as it should. I'm going to perform a backup and then mess up the boot manager :tongueout:

I doubt it will stop hibernating this time...

The only strange thing, for now, is my Vista's Start Menu is scrolling really slow... explorer.exe consumes a lot of CPU power when I try to scroll it.

By the way, BitLocker no longer displays an error, and I'm able to "upgrade" to Vista :wink:

This is so messed up :grinning:

I've never had a Vista install without that slow-scrolling bug!

Easy :smile:

- right-click over the start button (bottom-left corner), choose properties;
- go to Start Menu Tab;
- In "privacy", DE-select both items (highlights of newly installed/used applications and files).

This will immediately solve the problem. Newly installed programs will no longer be highlighted.

You can go there again afterwards and re-activate those items, but if you install lots of new applications all at once, it will slow down again.

EDIT: Well, my dual-boot system is now totally up and running. And I'm totally lost; I can't reproduce the problem. I hope this issue doesn't affect many users in the future.

It might be XP's installation OR bootsect.exe operations from the Vista DVD. Those are my final guesses.

Thank you so much for your support, guys, I've had such a good time :grinning:

Last edited:
Back