Vista keeps freezing

I recently installed World in Conflict. Ever since whenever i open My computer or My Documents windows explorer freezes. I uninstalled World in Conflict but the same thing still happens. (whenever i open my computer i press once on a file and it freezes)
Any Ideas?

P.S. ive checked online and havent found anything about world in cinflict issues. I have Kaspersky and it says nothing found same with Spybot.

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
When it freezes, hit ctrl+shift+esc and see if anything is taking up a lot of CPU.

Terry60

Knows where his towel is.
Staff member
Have you got a pre-WiC system restore point ?
If so use it while it still exists to get back to a clean system then research what caused the problem.
So far Vista SR has got me out of a couple of messes left behind by dodgy in/uninstall problems.

I think ill try that.
BTW System idle process is the only thing taking up cpu around 97

Addendum

I did a System Restore but it hasnt helped much. I Can reacha step further than before but it still freezes

Last edited:

Terry60

Staff member
Did you let Vista chose the restore point ? It's not terribly clever about it. It'll always pick the latest and if you've just install/uninstalled there will probably be two from that process alone so you'll need to go back 2 or 3. Tell it you want to pick your own point - they're all timestamped.

i picked my own. i chose the one before WIC. It was the oldest one there 4 hours before i installed WIC

Terry60

Staff member
Oh dear-
B*gg*r*d Then !
At least you can be fairly sure it's nothing to do with WiC though

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Perhaps it has something to do with the SD card drivers you were installing the other day?

I dont think so. After i did the System Restore it stopped freezing all the time. Only when i open the WIC cd. Before it would do it even if i opened My Computer or My DOcuments. DOes that mean the cd is bugged? (so far its only been with the WIC CD hopefully it stays like that :wink:

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
It is possible that the CD is scratched or damaged.

Terry60

Staff member
Do you have any other 3rd party software you could use to open the CD instead of explorer ? (Treesize? ACDSee ? some other photo handling app that will examine the directory structure ?) That way you should be able to see if it's explorer or the CD at fault.

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
^ good idea... He can use cmd.exe and cd into the directories, then use dir to list the contents.

Addendum:

It's probably easier to just stick that CD/DVD in a different PC and see if it does the same there?

Last edited:

Terry60

Staff member
Guru,
I love the way you assume anyone geeky enough to come here has a supply of spare PCs .
(I've got 2 old ones in my museum of IT btw, back to a 75Mhz W95 set up.)

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
:lol:

Or go to a neighbor/friend's house and try it there :smile:

As a matter of fact i do have another notebook. I think i might have let it slip in another thread so gurus not at blame. Ill try that and see what happens

Terry60

Staff member
I didn't think of that !
That's what comes from living in the middle of nowhere, without any neighbours.