Vista keeps freezing

{Ron!n}

Distinguished Member
I recently installed World in Conflict. Ever since whenever i open My computer or My Documents windows explorer freezes. I uninstalled World in Conflict but the same thing still happens. (whenever i open my computer i press once on a file and it freezes)
Any Ideas?

P.S. ive checked online and havent found anything about world in cinflict issues. I have Kaspersky and it says nothing found same with Spybot.

Have you got a pre-WiC system restore point ?
If so use it while it still exists to get back to a clean system then research what caused the problem.
So far Vista SR has got me out of a couple of messes left behind by dodgy in/uninstall problems.

I think ill try that.
BTW System idle process is the only thing taking up cpu around 97

Addendum

I did a System Restore but it hasnt helped much. I Can reacha step further than before but it still freezes

Last edited:
Did you let Vista chose the restore point ? It's not terribly clever about it. It'll always pick the latest and if you've just install/uninstalled there will probably be two from that process alone so you'll need to go back 2 or 3. Tell it you want to pick your own point - they're all timestamped.

Oh dear-
B*gg*r*d Then !
At least you can be fairly sure it's nothing to do with WiC though

I dont think so. After i did the System Restore it stopped freezing all the time. Only when i open the WIC cd. Before it would do it even if i opened My Computer or My DOcuments. DOes that mean the cd is bugged? (so far its only been with the WIC CD hopefully it stays like that :wink:

Do you have any other 3rd party software you could use to open the CD instead of explorer ? (Treesize? ACDSee ? some other photo handling app that will examine the directory structure ?) That way you should be able to see if it's explorer or the CD at fault.

^ good idea... He can use cmd.exe and cd into the directories, then use dir to list the contents.

Addendum:

It's probably easier to just stick that CD/DVD in a different PC and see if it does the same there?

Last edited:
Guru,
I love the way you assume anyone geeky enough to come here has a supply of spare PCs .
(I've got 2 old ones in my museum of IT btw, back to a 75Mhz W95 set up.)

As a matter of fact i do have another notebook. I think i might have let it slip in another thread so gurus not at blame. Ill try that and see what happens

I didn't think of that !
That's what comes from living in the middle of nowhere, without any neighbours.

Back