Vista recover disc not compatible

Glitter22

I've downloaded (and tried) both the 32 and 64 recovery discs but although I get to the blue screen with the options install/repair when I select repair I get a message box saying system recovery options O/S Windows Vista but when I click Next another box tells me "This version of System Recovery Options is not compatible with the version of Windows you are trying to repair"

What am I doing wrong? I'm using an Acer laptop which is 13 months old and had vista pre-installed.

EDITED TO ADD

I've now got the 32 bit disc to work but...... it now says startup repair cannot repair this computer automatically - is there anything else I can try?

Last edited:

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Look at the "details" link. Post what it says here.

Glitter22

It says

Problem Event Name StartupRepairV2
Problem signature 1: External Media
Problem signature 2: 6.0.6000.16386.6.0.6001.1800
Problem signature 3: 6
Problem signature 4: 589833
Problem signature 5: Corrupt File
Problem signature 6: CorruptFile
Problem signature 7: 3221225705
Problem signature 8: 3
Problem signature 9: WrpRepair
Problem signature 10: 1117
OS Version 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
Local ID: 1033

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Enter the command line tool and run "chkdsk c: /r"

Glitter22

It won't let me do anything - just keeps returning to the original message:

windows failed to start. a recent hardward or software change might be the cause.

file CLFS.SYS

Info windows failed to load because a required file is missing or corrupt.

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
try running "sfc /scannow"

patch41

I've downloaded (and tried) both the 32 and 64 recovery discs but although I get to the blue screen with the options install/repair when I select repair I get a message box saying system recovery options O/S Windows Vista but when I click Next another box tells me "This version of System Recovery Options is not compatible with the version of Windows you are trying to repair"

What am I doing wrong? I'm using an Acer laptop which is 13 months old and had vista pre-installed.

EDITED TO ADD

I've now got the 32 bit disc to work but...... it now says startup repair cannot repair this computer automatically - is there anything else I can try?
i ran sfc/scannow and message said could not repair all files, some files corrupted i downloaded the repair disc and burned it to iso then found out from microsoft that i need repair disc compatible with sp2 that may be your problem, i cannot find a site with repair disc sp2...only sp1 good luck, patch41

JustinW

Super Moderator
Staff member
Unplug any extra external drives you have plugged in. Correct command for an offline Windows system on c: is:

sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows\