Vista recover disc not compatible

Glitter22

I've downloaded (and tried) both the 32 and 64 recovery discs but although I get to the blue screen with the options install/repair when I select repair I get a message box saying system recovery options O/S Windows Vista but when I click Next another box tells me "This version of System Recovery Options is not compatible with the version of Windows you are trying to repair"

What am I doing wrong? I'm using an Acer laptop which is 13 months old and had vista pre-installed.

EDITED TO ADD

I've now got the 32 bit disc to work but...... it now says startup repair cannot repair this computer automatically - is there anything else I can try?

Last edited:
It says

Problem Event Name StartupRepairV2
Problem signature 1: External Media
Problem signature 2: 6.0.6000.16386.6.0.6001.1800
Problem signature 3: 6
Problem signature 4: 589833
Problem signature 5: Corrupt File
Problem signature 6: CorruptFile
Problem signature 7: 3221225705
Problem signature 8: 3
Problem signature 9: WrpRepair
Problem signature 10: 1117
OS Version 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
Local ID: 1033

It won't let me do anything - just keeps returning to the original message:

windows failed to start. a recent hardward or software change might be the cause.

file CLFS.SYS

Info windows failed to load because a required file is missing or corrupt.

I've downloaded (and tried) both the 32 and 64 recovery discs but although I get to the blue screen with the options install/repair when I select repair I get a message box saying system recovery options O/S Windows Vista but when I click Next another box tells me "This version of System Recovery Options is not compatible with the version of Windows you are trying to repair"

What am I doing wrong? I'm using an Acer laptop which is 13 months old and had vista pre-installed.

EDITED TO ADD

I've now got the 32 bit disc to work but...... it now says startup repair cannot repair this computer automatically - is there anything else I can try?
i ran sfc/scannow and message said could not repair all files, some files corrupted i downloaded the repair disc and burned it to iso then found out from microsoft that i need repair disc compatible with sp2 that may be your problem, i cannot find a site with repair disc sp2...only sp1 good luck, patch41

Unplug any extra external drives you have plugged in. Correct command for an offline Windows system on c: is:

sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows\

Back