vista startup problems

pearbelle

hi all
hope someone here can help i am having problems starting up my Toshiba laptop operating windows vista
after a lot of looking around on the net and trying all sorts of solutions (and prob making the situation a whole lot worse) i have finally decided that the time has come for me to give in and seek your expertise..:??

i downloaded your vista recovery disk
and have booted from the disk
gone into "repair your computer" where in system recovery option i can see my OS (windows vista home premium(recovered)upon clicking "next" i get start up repair window where it says "your computer was unable to start.. then i get start up cannot repair this computer automatically and ask if i wish to send results to Microsoft
these are the results
problem event name startuprepairV2
problem signature 01 external media (PREVIUOSLY "auto failover")
problem signature 02 6.0.6000.16386.6.0.6001.18000
problem signature 03 6
problem signature 04 1441814 (previously "196610")
problem signature 05 failure during set up
problem signature 06 missingbootmanager(previously "failure during setup")
problem signature 07 0
problem signature 08 1 (previously "0")
problem signature 09 wrprepair (previously "unknown")
problem signature 10 0 (previously "1168")
OS version 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID 1033

if i follow your instructions in
Recovering the Vista Bootloader from the DVD - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki
step 1: ok
step 2: ok
step 3: when i enter "del C:\boot\bcd bootrec.exe /rebuild"" i get "Invalid switch - "rebuild""
after i restart and go through the motions again i get same as above with exception of problem signature 04 this time its 1507351
to step 4:
not 100% sure what i should be replacing the X: with i have vista (C:smile: Data(D:smile: WinRE(F:smile: Boot (X:smile:
bootrec.exe /fixmbr
x:\boot\bootsect.exe /nt60 all /force gives me
"Repairs critical disk structures The following commands are supported"

del C:\boot\bcd
"could not find C:\boot\bcd"

bcdedit /createstore c:\boot\bcd.temp
"the store creation operation has failed Cannot create a file when that file already exixts"

bcdedit.exe /store c:\boot\bcd.temp /create {bootmgr} /d "Windows Boot Manager"
"the system couuld not find the file specified"

bcdedit.exe /import c:\boot\bcd.temp
"the operaation completed successfully"

bcdedit.exe /set {bootmgr} device partition=C:
"the system cannot find the file specified"

bcdedit.exe /timeout 10
"an error has occured setting the element data. the system cannot find the file specified"

del c:\boot\bcd.temp
"here i dont get any response command prompt just moves on to next line waiting for further prompt"

bcdedit.exe /create /d "Windows Vista" /application osloader
"the entry <c8145c0c-3461-11de-8c46-fe65dfba3cd4> was successfully created

bcdedit.exe /set {c0dfc4fa-cb21-11dc-81bf-005056c00008} device partition=C:
"the ststem cannot find the file specified"

bcdedit.exe /set {c0dfc4fa-cb21-11dc-81bf-005056c00008} osdevice partition=C:
"an error occured while attempting to reference the specified entry. The system cannot find the file specified

bcdedit.exe /set {c0dfc4fa-cb21-11dc-81bf-005056c00008} path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
"the syatem cannot find the file specified"

bcdedit.exe /set {c0dfc4fa-cb21-11dc-81bf-005056c00008} systemroot \Windows
"the system cannot find the file specified

bcdedit.exe /displayorder {c0dfc4fa-cb21-11dc-81bf-005056c00008}
"the syntax of the command is incorrect"

bcdedit.exe /default {c0dfc4fa-cb21-11dc-81bf-005056c00008}
"the syntax of the command is incorrect

i have restarted my computer and get windows boot manager screen where i get message "windows failed to start.
File: \boot\bcd
info the windows boot configuration data file is missing required information.

where am i going wrong PLEASE HELP

Hi Pearbelle, welcome to NST.
The invalid switch "rebuild" should have been "rebuildbcd"

Did you follow the important note at the end of step 2 ?

The automatic "startup repair" is not the most brilliantly written piece of software. It only fixes one thing per pass, you might need repair or creation of bootmgr, MBR or boot/BCD or any combination of them.

Do the whole boot the CD/DVD, "repair your computer" "startup repair" sequence 3 times at least before you start manually playing with the boot.

It's never failed to fix the Vista (or W7) boot for me without need for manual intervention.

hi Terry
Thanks for rapid response
yes i tried the whole boot the CD/DVD, "repair your computer" "startup repair" sequence 3 times and i am after doing it again and this time i keep getting "startup could not detect a problem"
where do i go from here??

You are selecting your system from the list before clicking "next" ?
I don't see how the boot can fail with a "missing boot/BCD", but the repair can say "no problem"
There's a possibility that you're just unable to access the HDD.
Have you tried disconnect/reconnect a few times to clean up the pins on all the HDD leads while the system is powered off, in case you've got a dirty contact somewhere that's preventing proper communication with the disk.

No am not selecting my system before clicking next but guess it could have been highlighted so tried it again 3 times making sure my system was not highlighted and each time get a message saying that "startup cannot repair this computer automatically"
I have tried disconnect/reconnect a few times i have tried starting on just battery power i have tried starting on AC power with battery removed also.

ok well when i DO NOT highlight my system i get "startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically" each of the 3 times i start up and when i DO highlight my system i also get "Startup cannot repair this computer" the first time and "Startup cannot detect problem" 2nd time and "startup repair cannot repair this computer automatically" the 3rd time
help please this is getting very frustrating

Addendum:

if i continue to start up more than 3 times this pattern of "Startup cannot repair this computer" the first time and "Startup cannot detect problem"next time continues

Last edited:
Hello.
Have you recently installed a service pack or update? Googling the "0xc0000034" error you had, it sounds like it may occur after installing SP1.
Have you tried System Restore or booting into Safe Mode? Maybe "Last Known good configuration" mode will help..

have tried system restore but tells me there is no previous restore point (even though i'm sue i did create on before after removing a virus)
have tried "safe mode" but get directed to windows error recovery
have tried last known good configuration but get directed to windows error recovery
have tried "start windows normally" after i get "system cannot detect problem" but still get directed back to windows error recovery
Havent installed SP1 (think it was already on )
havent installed any updates(that i know of)
am googleing error 0xc0000034 at the moment

Hmm...I happen to be looking into your problem right now, and am finding out there have been quite a few users with this particular problem. What's worse is though all these people reported the issue (in the same thread) to Microsoft, it is not looking like they were doing anything to fix the issue. Until I found this post...
CAUSE

This error occurs when either of the following conditions is true:
The Windows Boot Manager (Bootmgr) entry is not present in the Boot Configuration Data (BCD) store.
The Boot\BCD file on the active partition is damaged or missing
Please look into this article for resolution :
I'll take a look into that article right now...

Jake

Last edited:
Type Bootrec /RebuildBcd, and then press ENTER
this gives me successfully scanned windows installations
total identified windows installations 0
the operation completed successfully
I dont get an installation path of a windows directory
Bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
"The operation completed successfully"

ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
"
the system cannot find the file specified"

Bootrec /rebuildbcd
"scanning all disks for windows installations
Please wait this might take a while
successfully scanned windows installations
total identified windows installations 0
the operation completed successfully"
I restart normally but still get windows error recovery
if i go back to command prompt to restart bootrec /rebildbcd
i get same results
(Dont know if this helps but my brother has confessed to trying to install RegCure to clean up registry keys(Its his laptop)just before problem started)

Addendum:

am going to continue with method 3 as per the Microsoft link you supplied

Last edited:
Addendum:

am going to continue with method 3 as per the Microsoft link you supplied
Yeah, that will probably be your best bet now.
I seriously doubt RegCure has anything to do with it. I use the tool myself actually, and it happens to be #1 of the best reviewed registry cleanup programs. Most likely the problem was caused by something else, but I have no idea what.

Jake

most like he deleted some registry entries he shouldn't have...
not having much luck with method 3 either

1. Put the Windows Vista installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer.
  2. Press a key when you are prompted.
  3. Select a language, a time, a currency, and a keyboard or another input method, and then click Next.
  4. Click Repair your computer.
  5. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.
  6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.
  7. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:cd /d Partition:\Windows\System32
    Note Partition represents the letter of the partition on which Windows Vista is installed. Typically, this is partition C.
  8. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:bcdedit /enum all
    In the Windows Boot Loader section of the output from this command, note the GUID that is listed for resumeobject. You will use this GUID later.
  9. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:bcdedit -create {bootmgr} -d "Description"
    Note Description represents the description for the new entry.
  10. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:bcdedit -set {bootmgr} device partition=Partition:
    Note Partition represents the letter of the partition. Typically, the letter is C.
  11. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:bcdedit /displayorder {GUID}
    Note GUID represents the GUID that you obtained in step 8.
  12. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:bcdedit /default {GUID}
    Note GUID represents the GUID that you obtained in step 8.
  13. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:bcdedit /timeout Value
    Note Value represents the time in seconds before the Windows Boot Manager selects the default entry that you created in step 12.
  14. Restart the computer
I get as far as number 9 and just get "the system cannot find the file specified" i think it has something to do with {bootmgr} do i type this as is or does this represent a different value

Are you sure its number 9 that you get that message...? It shouldn't be saying the file doesn't exist, when you are trying to create it...

Would you mind posting the exact commands you ran that led up to this message?

ok steps 1-6 are fairly straightforward
step 7:Type the following command, and then press ENTER:cd /d Partition:\Windows\System32
Note Partition represents the letter of the partition on which Windows Vista is installed. Typically, this is partition C.
"I typed cd /d c:\windows\system32 and this changes command line from x:source to c:\windows\system32"
step 8:Type the following command, and then press ENTER: bcdedit /enum all
In the Windows Boot Loader section of the output from this command, note the GUID that is listed for resumeobject. You will use this GUID later.
"beside c:\windows\system32 i type bcdedit /enum all and press enter this gives me
windows boot manager
identifier <bootmgr>
device partition=F
default <default>
displayorder <default>
timeout 30
windows boot loader
identifier <c8145c0c-3461-11de-8c46-fe65dfba3cd4>
description windows vista
windows boot loader
identifier <default>
device partition=c
path \windows\system32\winload.exe
description Windows Vista <TM> Home Premium <recovered>
osdevice parttition=c
systemroot \Windows
resumeobject <312b4eb6-34b5-11de-956e-806e6f6e6963>
resume from Hibernate
identifier
<312b4eb6-34b5-11de-956e-806e6f6e6963>
device partition=c:
path \wWindows\system32\winresume.exe
description Windows Vista
<TM> Home Premium <recovered>
inherit <resumeloadersettings>
filedevice partition=c:
filepath \hiberfil.sys
pae yes
debugoptionenabled no
step9Type the following command, and then press ENTER: bcdedit -create {bootmgr} -d "Description"
"I type bcdedit -create <bootmgr> -d "boot manager"
and get the system cannot find the file specified"

I think i am putting wrong value in for description here in step 9

Descriptions just how it appears to you when you are presented with a boot menu. It could say anything.

step9Type the following command, and then press ENTER: bcdedit -create {bootmgr} -d "Description"
"I type bcdedit -create <bootmgr> -d "boot manager"
and get the system cannot find the file specified"

I think i am putting wrong value in for description here in step 9
You need to enter
Code:
bcdedit -create {bootmgr} -d "Windows Vista"
using braces instead of < and > operators.

Back