vista startup problems

They look like this:

{ }

You will need to hold down Shift and press the same keys the brackets [ ] are on. They're right next to "P" on most keyboards...

ok got that and re-entered "bcdedit -create {bootmgr} -d "Windows Vista"
"An error occured while attempting the specified create operation The specified entry already exists"

You don't specify the identifier when you're creating the entry, bcdedit automatically generates one.

OK, sorry, my bad.
Do
instead. Basically, the description can be anything, just as long as it does not have the same name as an existing entry.
I have tried putting in "boot manager" but get same response
"An error occurred while attempting the specified create operation. The specified entery already exists"

Well, try something random:
bcdedit -create {bootmgr} -d "random" :brows:
and it should work. As stated before, it doesn't really matter what you call the new entry. Just name it whatever you want (excluding of course the two ones we already tried:lol:smile:.

You can have two entries with the same description, shouldnt matter. Identfiers like {bootmgr} are well known identifiers like drive letters are well known to be associated with partitions inside Windows. Underlying it however well be its true identifier. A quick look at the {bootmgr} entry under debug mode in EasyBCD or bcdedit /v should tell you what its really being referred to as inside your bcd store.

Now that I've spat out enough technical jargon, you should try the manual steps for rebuilding your bcd store from scratch from our wiki, available here. If that fails a reinstall well be needed.

Ok, right...I'm sorry. Justin is correct. The article I pointed you to is for if one of the following conditions is true:
  • The Windows Boot Manager (Bootmgr) entry is not present in the Boot Configuration Data (BCD) store.
  • The Boot\BCD file on the active partition is damaged or missing.
But, its obvious now that you must already have a {Bootmgr} entry in your BCD. So there is no need to run that command then. Just skip it, and follow the rest of them. If it still doesn't boot after you're finished, then I'll try to dig something else up.

So do:
Code:
bcdedit -set {bootmgr} device partition=C:
bcdedit /displayorder {312b4eb6-34b5-11de-956e-806e6f6e6963}
bcdedit /default {312b4eb6-34b5-11de-956e-806e6f6e6963}
bcdedit /timeout5
and then restart the computer, and see if you can boot normally.

Addendum:

Another thing...looking back over [post=36759]this post[/post], I see the boot manager entry is currently pointed at your F: partition, which unless it is "system" and "active", and contains the bootmgr, may explain your problem. :wink: The commands I just gave you will set the {bootmgr} entry to point at your C: partition instead, which hopefully is correct. If you know otherwise, and know for sure which partition is "system" and "active", then make sure to type that in, in place of "C:".

windows boot manager
identifier <bootmgr>
device partition=F
default <default>
displayorder <default>
timeout 30

Last edited:
Another thing...looking back over [post=36759]this post[/post], I see the boot manager entry is currently pointed at your F: partition, which unless it is "system" and "active", and contains the bootmgr, may explain your problem. :wink: The commands I just gave you will set the {bootmgr} entry to point at your C: partition instead, which hopefully is correct. If you know otherwise, and know for sure which partition is "system" and "active", then make sure to type that in, in place of "C:".

Not sure if i am understanding this properly - this time round its giving me device partition=c in the boot manager

Addendum:

ok bear with me here i am going to run through steps 1 -14 of http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927391/en-us again. When i get to step 14 to restart my computer is there a command i type in command prompt to do this or do i just click the X in top corner to close it and restart then?

Addendum:

now i have another problem when i get to step 8 Type the following command, and then press ENTER:bcdedit /enum all
In the Windows Boot Loader section of the output from this command, note the GUID that is listed for resumeobject. You will use this GUID later.
I get windows boot loader 5 times all with 4 different values for resumeobject {GUID} which one do i use?

Last edited:
Not sure if i am understanding this properly - this time round its giving me device partition=c in the boot manager
After you ran the above commands? If so, that is to be expected, since the "bcdedit -set {bootmgr} device partition=C:" command is supposed to set the device partition of the {bootmgr} entry to C: :wink:
Addendum:

ok bear with me here i am going to run through steps 1 -14 of http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927391/en-us again. When i get to step 14 to restart my computer is there a command i type in command prompt to do this or do i just click the X in top corner to close it and restart then?
Yes, if you want to use the command line to restart, you can just type in
Code:
shutdown -r
after you get done with those commands. Hitting the X in the top right corner should also restart it too, though. Just make sure once it restarts to go into your BIOS, set the boot sequence to boot your HDD first again, instead of the CD, take the CD out of the tray, and attempt a normal boot to see if it worked.
Addendum:

now i have another problem when i get to step 8 Type the following command, and then press ENTER:bcdedit /enum all
In the Windows Boot Loader section of the output from this command, note the GUID that is listed for resumeobject. You will use this GUID later.
I get windows boot loader 5 times all with 4 different values for resumeobject {GUID} which one do i use?
Hold on...could you post the output of that command again? I seem to remember there being only one "resumeobject" GUID from your earlier post...:wink:

EDIT: You want the one directly following "resumeobject", i.e. <312b4eb6-34b5-11de-956e-806e6f6e6963>. Ignore the other ones, they are just identifiers, not the GUID you're supposed to enter in. If you just type the commands in my last post (which include the GUID you have), then there is no need to worry, because I copied it from your earlier post.

Last edited:
Ok here goes!
7)cd /d c:\Windows\System32

Returns
“changes from x:source> to c:\windows\system32”

8)Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
bcdedit /enum all
Returns
Windows Boot Manager
identifier {bootmgr}
device partition=c:
default {default}
displayorder {9b426e0f-369e-11de-83ea-806e6f6e6963}
{default}
timeout 5

windows boot loader
identifier {c8145c0c-3461-11de-8c46-fe65dfba3cd4}
description windows vista

windows boot loader
identifier {c8145c0d-3461-11de-8c46-fe65dfba3cd4}
device partition=c:
path \windows\system32\winload.exe
description windows vista <TM> home premium <recovered>
osdevice partition=c:
systemroot \windows
resumeobject {312b4eb6-34b5-11de-956e-806e6f6e6963}

windows boot loader
identifier {c8145c0e-3461-11de-fe65dfba3cd4}
device partition=c:
osdevice partition=c:
systemroot \windows
resumeobject {54463651-35df-11de-9976-806e6f6e6963}

windows boot loader
identifier {c8145c0f-3461-11de-8c46-fe65dfba3cd4}
device partition=c:
osdevice partition=c:
systemroot \windows
resumeobject {9b426e0f-369e-11de-83ea-806e6f6e6963}

windows boot loader
identifier {default}
device partition=c:
osdevice partition=c:
systemroot \windows
resumeobject {e878d1d1-36a1-11de-948e-806e6f6e6963}

resume from hibernate
identifier {312b4eb6-34b5-11de-956e-806e6f6e6963}
device partition=c:
inherit {resumeloadersettings}
filedevice partition=c:
filepath \hiberfil.sys
pae yes
debugoptionenabled no

resume from hibernate
identifier {54463651-35df-11de-9976-806e6f6e6963}
device partition=c:
filedevice partition=c:
filepath \hiberfil.sys
pae yes
debugoptionenabled no

resume from hibernate
identifier {9b426e0f-369e-11de-83ea-806e6f6e6963}
device partition=c:
filedevice partition=c:
filepath \hiberfil.sys
pae yes
debugoptionenabled no

resume from hibernate
identifier {e878d1d1-36a1-11de-948e-806e6f6e6963}
device partition=c:
filedevice partition=c:
filepath \hiberfil.sys
pae yes
debugoptionenabled no

9)Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
bcdedit -create {bootmgr} -d "bootmanager"

“returns
an error occurred while attempting the specified create operation.
The specified file already exists”

10)Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
bcdedit -set {bootmgr} device partition=c:
“returns
The operation completed successfully”

11)Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
bcdedit /displayorder {GUID}
Note GUID represents the GUID that you obtained in step 8.
which one do i use ???

Addendum:

i continue on with the rest of the steps using the first resumeobject i received
11[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
bcdedit /displayorder {312b4eb6-34b5-11de-956e-806e6f6e6963}
“returns
the operation completed successfully”
12[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
bcdedit /default {312b4eb6-34b5-11de-956e-806e6f6e6963}
returns
“the operatio completed successfully”
13[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
bcdedit /timeout 5
returns
[FONT=&quot]“the operation completed successfully”[/FONT]

I click on the X in the top corner to close command prompt and remove disk and click to restart computer
When computer restarts i get
windows boot manager
"status: 0xc0000034
info: an unexpected error has occurred"

Last edited:
Ok, I see now what your problem is. You have multiple Vista entries in your BCD, all pointing at the C: partition, when you really only need one (the one that works), and set that one to default. When you start up, do you get to a menu?

If not, run
Code:
bcdedit /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu yes
and then you should get to the menu. Then, after that, you need to try every entry in your BCD, to see if it boots with any of them. If not, then you need to try changing drive letters for the first windows bootloader entry, until you find one that works. So start from the D drive letter, and work your way up alphabetically, until you find the one that works. Otherwise, if you already know the drive letter of your Vista partition (as seen by the system itself), then just go ahead and tell it that's where the winload.exe is.
You also try going through the drive letters for the boot manager entry alphabetically too, so for instance, do
Code:
bcdedit -set {bootmgr} device partition=D:
and then while that is set to D, go ahead, and go through all the drive letters (starting at D) alphabetically for the first windows bootloader entry, until you find a combination that works. The reason is, I'm not sure what partition on your system contains the bootmgr, and BCD, or for that matter which partition contains the /Windows/system32 directory (and "winload.exe"), so I can't tell you which combination would work in your case. Just keep in mind the bootmgr entry in your BCD is supposed to point at the partition that contains bootmgr (which will be your "active" partition), and your windows boot loader entry(ies) is supposed to point at your partition that holds Vista, and hence the /Windows/system32/winload.exe file.

So once you do that, your Vista system should now boot, and you can make whatever adjustments you want to make to the BCD from EasyBCD.

To set the first windows bootloader entry in your BCD to a different partition, run the following commands:
Code:
bcdedit.exe /set {312b4eb6-34b5-11de-956e-806e6f6e6963} device partition=X:[FONT=Arial]
[/FONT]bcdedit.exe /set {312b4eb6-34b5-11de-956e-806e6f6e6963} osdevice partition=X:
where "X" is replaced with the drive letters (starting from D), as you cycle through them in alphabetical order.

Last edited:
when i type in bcdedit /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu yes and hit enter i don't get any menu all i get is "The operation completed successfully"

And I see now what you were doing wrong in the manual repair steps in the wiki.
if i follow your instructions in
Recovering the Vista Bootloader from the DVD - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki
step 1: ok
step 2: ok
step 3: when i enter "del C:\boot\bcd bootrec.exe /rebuild"" i get "Invalid switch - "rebuild""
As Terry said in Post #2, those commands needed to be
Code:
del C:\boot\bcd 
bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd
As you can see, they are actually two separate commands, and you're not supposed to try to combine them into one command, as you did. :wink:
Your next mistake was:
after i restart and go through the motions again i get same as above with exception of problem signature 04 this time its 1507351
to step 4:
not 100% sure what i should be replacing the X: with i have vista (C:smile: Data(D:smile: WinRE(F:smile: Boot (X:smile:
bootrec.exe /fixmbr
x:\boot\bootsect.exe /nt60 all /force gives me
"Repairs critical disk structures The following commands are supported"
If F: is your "boot" partition (i.e. the "system" partition that contains your boot files, namely bootmgr, and boot/BCD), which means you'll need to change the bootmgr entry in your BCD to point back at that partition, instead of C: (since you changed it as per my instructions, though I stated, I thought clearly enough, to replace it whatever drive letter was your "system" partition), then the command you needed to run there was
Code:
cd /d C:\Program Files\NeoSmart Technologies\EasyBCD\bin
bootsect.exe /nt60 F: /force
since bootsect.exe is not on our recovery disk, but does exist in the EasyBCD /bin directory.
And then here, it
del C:\boot\bcd
"could not find C:\boot\bcd"

indicated that you were already missing the BCD file (though you recreated it running the next couple of commands) if you posted what you did, in order:
bcdedit /createstore c:\boot\bcd.temp
"the store creation operation has failed Cannot create a file when that file already exixts"

The above command was not able to create it because apparently this was not the first time you had run it, hence the message that the file already existed.
bcdedit.exe /store c:\boot\bcd.temp /create {bootmgr} /d "Windows Boot Manager"
"the system couuld not find the file specified"

That would seem to indicate that you either deleted the file after running the command before it, or wrote it right into your post, though you typed it wrong originally when you ran the command (though that is only a guess). Basically, it does not add up.
bcdedit.exe /import c:\boot\bcd.temp
"the operaation completed successfully"

Another strange occurance, because how could it restore from that file, if it did not exist? :brows:
bcdedit.exe /set {bootmgr} device partition=C:
"the system cannot find the file specified"
Here you should have entered F: in, instead of C. :wink:
bcdedit.exe /timeout 10
"an error has occured setting the element data. the system cannot find the file specified"
Here, this may be a small mistake Guru made when he wrote the guide. I believe one would have to specify the BCD before being able to set the /timeout value, so you could have probably entered it right after the following command:

bcdedit.exe /store c:\boot\bcd.temp /create {bootmgr} /d "Windows Boot Manager"

and specified the file like this:

bcdedit.exe /store c:\boot\bcd.temp /timeout 10

That probably would have worked, but it is not really all that important, and certainly not your fault.
del c:\boot\bcd.temp
"here i dont get any response command prompt just moves on to next line waiting for further prompt"

No problem. You can be sure it deleted the temporary BCD file, though.
bcdedit.exe /create /d "Windows Vista" /application osloader
"the entry <c8145c0c-3461-11de-8c46-fe65dfba3cd4> was successfully created
Now, this where you obtained the GUID you were supposed to enter in, but instead you entered the following:
bcdedit.exe /set {c0dfc4fa-cb21-11dc-81bf-005056c00008} device partition=C:
"the ststem cannot find the file specified"

so naturally, the command did not work. What you were supposed to enter there was this command:

bcdedit.exe /set
{c8145c0c-3461-11de-8c46-fe65dfba3cd4} device partition=F:

if F: is indeed your "system" and "active" partition. Notice that there I replaced what Guru wrote with the GUID returned to you after you ran the command before it, which is what you were supposed to do.
bcdedit.exe /set {c0dfc4fa-cb21-11dc-81bf-005056c00008} osdevice partition=C:
"an error occured while attempting to reference the specified entry. The system cannot find the file specified

Another mistake...

It should have been:

bcdedit.exe /set {c8145c0c-3461-11de-8c46-fe65dfba3cd4} osdevice partition=F:

Remember, you always replace that GUID in the instructions with your GUID.
bcdedit.exe /set {c0dfc4fa-cb21-11dc-81bf-005056c00008} path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
"the syatem cannot find the file specified"

Once again, the command should have been

bcdedit.exe /set {c8145c0c-3461-11de-8c46-fe65dfba3cd4} path \Windows\system32\winload.exe

and again...
bcdedit.exe /set {c0dfc4fa-cb21-11dc-81bf-005056c00008} systemroot \Windows
"the system cannot find the file specified
it should have been run as

bcdedit.exe /set {c8145c0c-3461-11de-8c46-fe65dfba3cd4} systemroot \Windows
bcdedit.exe /displayorder {c0dfc4fa-cb21-11dc-81bf-005056c00008}
"the syntax of the command is incorrect"
Again, the command should have been:

bcdedit.exe /displayorder {c8145c0c-3461-11de-8c46-fe65dfba3cd4}
bcdedit.exe /default {c0dfc4fa-cb21-11dc-81bf-005056c00008}
"the syntax of the command is incorrect

and finally...

bcdedit.exe /default {c8145c0c-3461-11de-8c46-fe65dfba3cd4}
i have restarted my computer and get windows boot manager screen where i get message "windows failed to start.
File: \boot\bcd
info the windows boot configuration data file is missing required information.

where am i going wrong PLEASE HELP
All of that is of course water under the bridge now, but re-reading this thread, I just thought I would point out those mistakes you made in the commands, so you can learn from them. :wink: Possibly your system would be booting now had you followed the wiki guide, as it was written, but anyway, regardless, follow my last instructions, and your system should be booting again relatively soon.

Jake

Addendum:

when i type in bcdedit /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu yes and hit enter i don't get any menu all i get is "The operation completed successfully"
Well, congrats. :brows: That means it worked.
Now reboot, and see if you get a boot menu.

Last edited:
ok well thanks for the congrats but am afraid they are a little premature.....
when i restart i get the Toshibe loading screen and then i am getting windows boot manager screen where i am asked to select my operating system when i press enter i get windows error recovery window ....

ok well thanks for the congrats but am afraid they are a little premature.....
when i restart i get the Toshibe loading screen and then i am getting windows boot manager screen where i am asked to select my operating system when i press enter i get windows error recovery window ....
You should see multiple entries in your BCD menu, if I read your BCD info right...
Follow the rest of the instructions I gave in [post=36951]Post #33[/post] (not just the instruction to run the "displaybootmenu" command), and then post back with the results.

EDIT: And btw, what does that error recovery window tell you?

Last edited:
sorry but i am unsure as to where i go from here having tried to follow the instructions (to the best of my understanding) you posted in #33
bcdedit /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu yes returns "The operation completed successfully"

"the operation completed successfully"
bcdedit.exe /set {312b4eb6-34b5-11de-956e-806e6f6e6963} device partition=X:

when i replace the x: with d: i get

bcdedit.exe /set {312b4eb6-34b5-11de-956e-806e6f6e6963} osdevice partition=X:
when i replace the x: with d: i get " the element data type specified is not recognized or does not apply to the specified entry. Run "bcdedit /?" for command line assistance"
when i replace he x: with e: i get " an error occurred while attempting to reference the specified entry. the system cannot find the file specified"
when i replace the x: with f: i get " the element data type specified is not recognized or does not apply to the specified entry. Run "bcdedit /?" for command line assistance"
when i replace the x: with c: i get "the element data type specified is not recognized or does not apply to the specified entry. Run "bcdedit /?" for command line assistance"
if i leave it at x: i get "the element data type specified is not recognized or does not apply to the specified entry. Run "bcdedit /?" for command line assistance"
Sorry but I am not sure if i am following your instructions correctly(probably not) or what you are asking me to do in post #33

when i restart and get to windows boot manager screen it ask me to
choose an operating system to start (Only one there)
to specify an advanced option for this choice press f8
if i press f8 it takes me to advanced boot options screen
where i can choose from
safe mode safe mode with networking
safe mode with command prompt
enable boot logging
enable low-resolution video (640x480)
LAST KNOWN GOOD CONFIGURATION (ADVANCED)
directory services restore mode
debugging mode
disable automatic restart on system failure
disable driver signature enforcement
start windows normally
if i select to start my operating system i get windows recovery screen where it says:
windows failed to start. a recent hardware or software change might be the cause. to fix the problem:
1. insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer
2. choose your language settings and then click next
3. click "repair your computer"
other options
if power was interrupted during startup, choose to start windows normally
safe mode
safe mode with networking
last known good configuration (advanced)
start windows normally

Sounds as if your bootmgr is in working order now which is a start. Give startup repair from our recovery disc or a vista dvd if you've got one to see if it'll append a working entry to the boot menu.

sorry but i am unsure as to where i go from here having tried to follow the instructions (to the best of my understanding) you posted in #33
bcdedit /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu yes returns "The operation completed successfully"
Ok, just to clarify...
Do you have any idea of which partition (which drive letter) is your "system" partition, and which partition is the partition that contains your Vista system (i.e. your "boot" partition, which holds your Vista OS)?
If so, I think we can solve this almost immediately.
What I was basically suggesting is to set your bootmgr entry in the BCD first to D (like you did), and
bcdedit.exe /set {312b4eb6-34b5-11de-956e-806e6f6e6963} device partition=X:

when i replace the x: with d: i get
Ok, so instead of D, for the above command, try running F. And then do the same for the below command.
bcdedit.exe /set {312b4eb6-34b5-11de-956e-806e6f6e6963} osdevice partition=X:
when i replace the x: with d: i get " the element data type specified is not recognized or does not apply to the specified entry. Run "bcdedit /?" for command line assistance"
when i replace he x: with e: i get " an error occurred while attempting to reference the specified entry. the system cannot find the file specified"
when i replace the x: with f: i get " the element data type specified is not recognized or does not apply to the specified entry. Run "bcdedit /?" for command line assistance"
when i replace the x: with c: i get "the element data type specified is not recognized or does not apply to the specified entry. Run "bcdedit /?" for command line assistance"
if i leave it at x: i get "the element data type specified is not recognized or does not apply to the specified entry. Run "bcdedit /?" for command line assistance"
Sorry but I am not sure if i am following your instructions correctly(probably not) or what you are asking me to do in post #33
Ok, so I'm not sure why its telling you "the element data type specified is not recognized or does not apply to the specified entry" for the above command. It should be working flawlessly.
when i restart and get to windows boot manager screen it ask me to
choose an operating system to start (Only one there)
to specify an advanced option for this choice press f8
if i press f8 it takes me to advanced boot options screen
where i can choose from
safe mode safe mode with networking
enable boot logging
enable low-resolution video (640x480)
LAST KNOWN GOOD CONFIGURATION (ADVANCED)
directory services restore mode
debugging mode
disable automatic restart on system failure
disable driver signature enforcement
start windows normally
if i select to start my operating system i get windows recovery screen where it says:
windows failed to start. a recent hardware or software change might be the cause. to fix the problem:
1. insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer
2. choose your language settings and then click next
3. click "repair your computer"
other options
if power was interrupted during startup, choose to start windows normally
safe mode
safe mode with networking
last known good configuration (advanced)
start windows normally

Hmm...do you by any chance have multiple hard drives on your system? Maybe one of them contains another BCD.

Back