Vista wont load login screen, black screen with cursor

jasonta

After an update from AVG virus protection, the system rebooted then would not come up with the login screen. It stays black with just a movable white cursor. I have tried repair and it says there is nothing to repair, I have tried last known good configuration and nothing. I have tried system restore and there is no restore points. Chkdsk did not come up with anything nor did a memory check. Everything comes out clean. I tried booting from the CD given but it wont let me access the upgrade portion without being in windows so I can try to reload the files without wiping out my hard drive but that didnt work either. I then slipstreamed sp1 onto a bootable and tried that but still same thing. Any other suggestions or options? If I access programs from the Command Prompt on the system repair menu they open with out any problem. I have a dell inspiron 1720 laptop with Vista Home Premium 32bit. :x

Addendum:

I forgot to mention that the same thing is happening when trying to load into safemode as well.

Last edited:
I am having the same exact issues you are having. I installed the Vista recovery CD and everything and is cannot repair it. I also even tried to intall Windows XP SP2 and for some reason it won't load up. Wish I could just fix it or get a new OS on it. Soo freaking aggravating.

Back