Vista/XP Bootloader Prob With EasyBCD - NTLDR?

flamenko

I have Vista RC1 on C and XP on D. When I install from Vista and use easy BCD then go back and try XP, it says that I cant because of a problem with /NTLDR.

So...I go and repair XP. The bootloader then does not work and it always goes into XP. So I repair Vista...

once again bootloadrer but XP ntldr prob.

Thoughts???

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Hiya Flamenko, and welcome to NeoSmart Technologies!

You'll need to enable viewing of hidden and system files then copy c:\ntldr to all your partitions.

BDSBoston

Hiya Flamenko, and welcome to NeoSmart Technologies!

You'll need to enable viewing of hidden and system files then copy c:\ntldr to all your partitions.
------------
I installed EasyBCD on my 32-bit Windows Vista laptop. As soon as installed it, and before rebooting, I realized I did not need it, and thefore sought to uninstall the application. It was not listed among installed programs viewable in the control panel. However, the program itself had a radio button to uinstall itself. Finding no other way to perform the uninstall, I rebooted the computer. On rebooting, the process was interrupted and the screen prompted: "NTLDR is missing". What is the simplest way tp get my computer back to tne state before I attempted the installation of the program?

Thank you.

Terry60

Telephone Sanitizer (2nd Class)
Staff member
Hi BDS, welcome to the boards,
Do you mean you clicked the Uninstall Vista Bootloader button !
EasyBCD is not the bootloader, it's a utility program used to edit the bootloader.
What you appear to have done, is tell the system you don't wan't Vista any more in a dual boot, you're reverting to XP.
DON'T PANIC !
Vista is still there, and you should be able to get it back working by booting the Vista DVD and asking it to perform a repair. If your PC came with Vista pre-installed, and you haven't got a DVD, what's the current state of your system? Are you dual booting ? What's working?

BDSBoston

Hi BDS, welcome to the boards,
Do you mean you clicked the Uninstall Vista Bootloader button !
EasyBCD is not the bootloader, it's a utility program used to edit the bootloader.
What you appear to have done, is tell the system you don't wan't Vista any more in a dual boot, you're reverting to XP.
DON'T PANIC !
Vista is still there, and you should be able to get it back working by booting the Vista DVD and asking it to perform a repair. If your PC came with Vista pre-installed, and you haven't got a DVD, what's the current state of your system? Are you dual booting ? What's working?
----
Your analysis apears spot on. Vista was preinstalled, and I have no dual boot, only an interrupted boot of Vista. Sounds as though Ineedto boot from something other than C drive to fix, right?

Thank you.

BDSBoston

Those lovely people at Neosmart will come to the rescue. Go to
http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/Recovering+the+Vista+Bootloader+from+the+DVD
and you'll see a link to download an ISO image which you can burn to a CD.
This contains a copy of the Vista Boot recovery, which you can then use to repair the Vista bootloader.
----------

Wonderful! I will give it a try. Thank you for taking the time on this one.

Addendum:

Success! The Wiki provided good instructions and the ISO image of the Vista boot recovery, after I used it a couple of times in the automatic mode, fully restored the Vista boot.

Many thanks.

Last edited: