Vista/XP Bootloader Prob With EasyBCD - NTLDR?

flamenko

I have Vista RC1 on C and XP on D. When I install from Vista and use easy BCD then go back and try XP, it says that I cant because of a problem with /NTLDR.

So...I go and repair XP. The bootloader then does not work and it always goes into XP. So I repair Vista...

once again bootloadrer but XP ntldr prob.

Thoughts???

Hiya Flamenko, and welcome to NeoSmart Technologies!

You'll need to enable viewing of hidden and system files then copy c:\ntldr to all your partitions.

Hiya Flamenko, and welcome to NeoSmart Technologies!

You'll need to enable viewing of hidden and system files then copy c:\ntldr to all your partitions.
------------
I installed EasyBCD on my 32-bit Windows Vista laptop. As soon as installed it, and before rebooting, I realized I did not need it, and thefore sought to uninstall the application. It was not listed among installed programs viewable in the control panel. However, the program itself had a radio button to uinstall itself. Finding no other way to perform the uninstall, I rebooted the computer. On rebooting, the process was interrupted and the screen prompted: "NTLDR is missing". What is the simplest way tp get my computer back to tne state before I attempted the installation of the program?

Thank you.

Hi BDS, welcome to the boards,
Do you mean you clicked the Uninstall Vista Bootloader button !
EasyBCD is not the bootloader, it's a utility program used to edit the bootloader.
What you appear to have done, is tell the system you don't wan't Vista any more in a dual boot, you're reverting to XP.
DON'T PANIC !
Vista is still there, and you should be able to get it back working by booting the Vista DVD and asking it to perform a repair. If your PC came with Vista pre-installed, and you haven't got a DVD, what's the current state of your system? Are you dual booting ? What's working?

Hi BDS, welcome to the boards,
Do you mean you clicked the Uninstall Vista Bootloader button !
EasyBCD is not the bootloader, it's a utility program used to edit the bootloader.
What you appear to have done, is tell the system you don't wan't Vista any more in a dual boot, you're reverting to XP.
DON'T PANIC !
Vista is still there, and you should be able to get it back working by booting the Vista DVD and asking it to perform a repair. If your PC came with Vista pre-installed, and you haven't got a DVD, what's the current state of your system? Are you dual booting ? What's working?
----
Your analysis apears spot on. Vista was preinstalled, and I have no dual boot, only an interrupted boot of Vista. Sounds as though Ineedto boot from something other than C drive to fix, right?

Thank you.

Those lovely people at Neosmart will come to the rescue. Go to
http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/Recovering+the+Vista+Bootloader+from+the+DVD
and you'll see a link to download an ISO image which you can burn to a CD.
This contains a copy of the Vista Boot recovery, which you can then use to repair the Vista bootloader.
----------

Wonderful! I will give it a try. Thank you for taking the time on this one.

Addendum:

Success! The Wiki provided good instructions and the ISO image of the Vista boot recovery, after I used it a couple of times in the automatic mode, fully restored the Vista boot.

Many thanks.

Last edited:
Back