What Drivers?

Hello.

Newbie here! :smile:

Got a puzzling question. I have used EasyBCD to successfully make my portable HDD bootable with the Win7 Bootloader. (It is simply a western digital hdd in a hdd caddy 2.5inch)

On this disk I have lots of ISO's a couple of them being an ISO for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008.

I've tried to install both operating systems in different situations recently and been faced with a problem. The Bootloader boots, I select my choice (say Win7 for example) it boots the Win7 dvd, asks me for my location, I input that (UK) and hit next - then it asks me for some missing drivers and I dont know what it needs - it doesnt specify.

It does NOT have a raid system, just a simple desktop PC. I thought it might either need the USBtoSATA bridge driver or a driver for the western digital HDD, i obtained both from another source (using device manager, right click the device, select properties, hit the driver tab, get info on driver files and copy all driver files to a location, all these were .SYS files) however this didnt work.

Anyone know what driver I need? really bugging me I'm at the end of my wick with this.

Are you sure it's not the window where there is a 'Load Driver' at the bottom left? That's the window where you also choose where to install it. That 'Load Driver' you can ignore as that would only apply if you were needing to load a RAID array for example..

Desktop? Looks like a laptop to me.

I've been Googling this problem and you aren't unique by any means.....so here are a few suggestions from the web....

Are you trying to install directly from the ISO or have you burned it to a disc and is this the final version of Windows 7?

It could be a bad burn or a bad ISO image to start with. Or it could simply be that the optical drive's firmware needs updating assuming there is an optical drive or the drive is old and not compatible with that system in the first place.

Have you tried installing from a USB?

Pardon me? Have you read the post? I'm trying to install Windows 7 from a USB HDD using a DVD ISO and EasyBCD.

What exactly is your question?

Edit: Yes the above is a netbook, but so far the same problem replicates on a Server, a desktop, a notebook and this: a netbook.

There are no DVD drives in a netbook. And the firmware on the other systems doesnt need updating.
If I burn the ISO to disk and install from a disk it works, so the ISO is not a bad one. The OS has been installed using a disk on another machine, the version of windows is irrelevant.
So... what exactly am I doing wrong if I'm using software that allows you to emulate a disk, using an ISO. Not all that good if it doesnt work. I've explored all BIOS options... its not that.....

Last edited:
I gave up trying to do that with mine and bought an external DVD drive.

There has to be something I'm missing, will research further.

What I meant is, doing a native install from USB. Sorry, I was in a hurry and didn't flesh out my post.

Don't do disk emulation via ISO mounting. Now that you've used EasyBCD to make the USB disk bootable, just copy the *contents* of the ISO onto the USB drive, and with EasyBCD create a WinPE entry rather than an ISO entry to the bootloader, pointing it to install.wim.

Right I've copied the contents of the disk into a folder on the USB HDD. When I try to add either install.wim or boot.wim, EasyBCD locks up and exits. I'm ready to punch someone in the face now....

There is nothing wrong with the ISO, or the contents, the problem here is EasyBCD.

Who programs this? Can we not contact a coder? This has to be a MAJOR bug in the software.... surely....

What version of EasyBCD are you using?

Addendum:

..and does it exit or do you close it when it hangs?

Last edited:
Can we not contact a coder?
You have been talking to the man
Instead of offering physical violence, why don't you try asking him for a refund of the enormous outlay of cash you spent for EasyBCD ?

You made me doubt myself - I have double-checked and it certainly doesn't hang or crash, even on a *very* slow USB disk (it freezes for a second when adding the entry on a 2GB LG USB stick from 2001 that's about as slow as a floppy drive. On a new 16GB Toshiba stick, it doesn't even blink).

Make sure you're using the latest beta from EasyBCD 2.1 Beta Builds - The NeoSmart Forums

Is there anything helpful in this tutorial I found over at Seven Forums?
Thank you!
Thats a good work around for now, will trial run on Friday when I get a chance.
However, the problem I have is that I install various versions of Win7/Win Vista/Server2003/Server2008/XP and so I need a large 500gb USB HDD to store on all the images (WIM) and/or ISO's. That way I can launch the setup that I require for the situation I'm supporting for that day. This work around will only give me one option and will require me getting numerous 4GB USB disks which I dont want to do

Can we not contact a coder?
You have been talking to the man
Instead of offering physical violence, why don't you try asking him for a refund of the enormous outlay of cash you spent for EasyBCD ?
HAHA... sorry I didnt mean it that way.... Just frustrated at the situation. :??

You made me doubt myself - I have double-checked and it certainly doesn't hang or crash, even on a *very* slow USB disk (it freezes for a second when adding the entry on a 2GB LG USB stick from 2001 that's about as slow as a floppy drive. On a new 16GB Toshiba stick, it doesn't even blink).
Make sure you're using the latest beta from EasyBCD 2.1 Beta Builds - The NeoSmart Forums
I'll say it again, this is on a USB HDD, a normal 2.5inch sata HDD inside a usb caddy NOT a USB STICK. I install many version of OS's and so cannot fit them all on a USB Stick.
It most certainly does crash when I try it. I will post up the message later on today for you. Last night, overnight, I ran read/write tests on the HDD which passed. I am using the most up to date version of EasyBCD
If you want me to do you a film, I will do that also.... give me some time and I'll post it up tonight.
Cheers.

Jonnie,

I, EasyBCD, and your PC don't care if it's a USB stick or a USB drive or a USB whatever. It's all one and the same to the OS.

And "latest version of EasyBCD" isn't helpful - what exact version are you using? 2.0.2? 2.1 Beta build xxx?

Back