win 7 and xp on gs 270

gumdrop

Hi.................I have win 7 pro installed on a dell gx270 on sata. I have both xp pro on an ide drive from this machine and an acronis image of the xp created on this machine. But win 7 was installed with no xp in place. Can I add the ide drive or will that cause a change to the sata configuration or add an empty ide drive and then recover xp from the acronis image. How I then get the boot manager to see xp I will leave for later. Right now I just don't want to mess up the win 7 installation. Help please.

If XP came from this PC in the first place, then there's no reason why it shouldn't dual-boot alongside W7.
You won't do any harm by trying.
Just put it in place, boot W7, run EasyBCD and add an XP entry (auto - let it detect and configure).
If XP fails to boot, post back.

xp ans win 7 restore points

Thanks for your response. The boot manager now lists xp as a choice.

XP is a removable ide drive with an installed caddy. I will only use XP, disconnected from the net, to run xp programs that I cannot run on win7.

When not needed I will remove the drive and replace it with an empty drive. As Easy bcd will not see the xp drive I presume the listing will dissapear at boot up and return when I then put the xp drive back in its caddy. Is this correct.

I also read that I will need to use Stop_XP.reg file. to stop the resore points being removed from win 7 . Am I correct that all existing restore points presently on win 7 will disappear when I first boot with XP and only then begin again when I use the above to solve the problem.

Could you point out anything that I've got wrong in this. Many thanks for your time.

If XP came from this PC in the first place, then there's no reason why it shouldn't dual-boot alongside W7.
You won't do any harm by trying.
Just put it in place, boot W7, run EasyBCD and add an XP entry (auto - let it detect and configure).
If XP fails to boot, post back.

Back