Win 7 can only boot into Selective Startup

Lionman

Hi everyone. I installed EasyBCD 2.4. I have 2 hard drives in an HP dv7 6187cl laptop. I had Linux Mint installed in 4 partitions on the second hard drive as seen below. Only the sizes are different.
Linux Partitions for dual boot on 2nd HD.PNG
I had to reinstall Windows 7 back onto the first HD because of too many problems with the old install. I was able to get into Win 7, install updates, add some programs, etc. Then I installed EasyBCD and added Linux Mint to EasyBCD.
EasyBCD Overview.PNG
Then I went into Linux and made some changes; no problems. But when I went to boot into Windows, at first the screen was black with no cursor. Then tapped F8 and could get into safe mode w networking. Then I could get into MSCONFIG and get Selective Startup only but not the full load of Windows 7. If I click Normal Startup, the Safe Mode option gets automatically checked on the Boot tab.
Msconfig General Tab.PNG
Msconfig Boot tab w normal startup.PNG
When I uncheck Safe boot, the General tab will only do a Selective Startup and my Synaptics touch pad does not work with the smart scroll settings as well as I think other programs may be affected.
Uncheck Safe boot.PNG
General tab w Safe boot unchecked.PNG
Sorry to insert so many images but I think the old saying "a picture is worth a thousand words" is helpful here.

Below is an image of my Disk partitions:
Disks Partitions.PNG
Any help is appreciated. Also, I don't understand why the Linux entry # 2 in EasyBCD is Drive R when drive R is the HP Recovery partition.
The problem began with adding Linux to EasyBCD. I have researched all over the net, but no answers. Like I say, I can now get into Linux fine from Grub but only into Win 7 Selective Startup.
Thanks again for your all's help.
Lionman

Hi everyone. I installed EasyBCD 2.4. I have 2 hard drives in an HP dv7 6187cl laptop. I had Linux Mint installed in 4 partitions on the second hard drive as seen below. Only the sizes are different.
Linux Partitions for dual boot on 2nd HD.PNG

I had to reinstall Windows 7 back onto the first HD because of too many problems with the old install. I was able to get into Win 7, install updates, add some programs, etc. Then I installed EasyBCD and added Linux Mint to EasyBCD.

EasyBCD Overview.PNG

Then I went into Linux and made some changes; no problems. But when I went to boot into Windows, at first the screen was black with no cursor. Then tapped F8 and could get into safe mode w networking. Then I could get into MSCONFIG and get Selective Startup only but not the full load of Windows 7. If I click Normal Startup, the Safe Mode option gets automatically checked on the Boot tab.
General tab w Safe boot unchecked.PNG

Msconfig Boot tab w normal startup.PNG

When I uncheck Safe boot, the General tab will only do a Selective Startup and my Synaptics touch pad does not work with the smart scroll settings as well as I think other programs may be affected.

Sorry to insert so many images but I think the old saying "a picture is worth a thousand words" is helpful here.

Below is an image of my Disk partitions:
Disks Partitions.PNGDisks Partitions.PNGLinux Partitions for dual boot on 2nd HD.PNGEasyBCD Overview.PNGMsconfig Boot tab w normal startup.PNGGeneral tab w Safe boot unchecked.PNGMsconfig Boot tab w normal startup.PNGDisks Partitions.PNG

Any help is appreciated. Also, I don't understand why the Linux entry # 2 in EasyBCD is Drive R when drive R is the HP Recovery partition.
The problem began with adding Linux to EasyBCD. I have researched all over the net, but no answers. Like I say, I can now get into Linux fine from Grub but only into Win 7 Selective Startup.
Thanks again for your all's help.
Lionman

Last edited:
Back