Win7 & WinXP Dual boot JAM

Clone Win7 Disk WORKED...

The clone worked and repair was not even necessary. Thanks a TON. Only problem remaining is how to get back the netldr and whatever boot stuff is needed for the XP drive. When I run the XP setup disk, it blue screens me after the preliminaries. Can EasyBCD or something else just restore standard stand alone XP boot info? I can boot into Win7 with the XP drive as my D drive. Thanks again!

Win7 vs Xp drive

If I'm running on the Win7 disk and I execute this will it screw up my Win7 boot? The XP drive is only the D drive and I hope it doesn't mess up now the working Win7 drive. Thanks

Opps, so its boot files that are missing...
EasyBCD > Tools > Autoconfigure Boot.ini should re-create them in the right location for you in addition to correcting any problems with your boot.ini. Ignore my last post :smile:

You'll need to add an entry to the W7 BCD for XP if you want to dual-boot it, or remove the W7 HDD and fixboot from an XP installation disk to put the NTLDR bootsector back on the other HDD.

XP installation disk blue screens me when I try to do repair. I can't believe that all of a sudden all of my drives developed i/o errors on them. I'll try cloning the disk which worked on the Win7 problem and if that doesn't work I'll have to settle for the other solution. Thanks!

You may need to change disk operation mode in the BIOS from RAID/AHCI to SATA/IDE before you can boot from XP's disc.

XP installation now does not even see the XP drive. The drive boots fine under dual boot config with Win7 in front of it. I ran several advanced scans and the drive has no defects or errors. Pretty weird. I may have to settle for this drive booting as 2nd drive in dual boot situation.

Terry, I'd like to thank you for all your help. Things aren't perfect but at least I can use them. If I have to make any changes I hope you'll be around.

Things ARE perfect now. I managed to use EasyBCD to rewrite and fix all 3 of the boot sectors so I now have 3 independant removeable and bootable drives, I can put them in any slots and in any order and just hit the F12 key to change the boot drive at will. Thanks again!

Back