Windows 7 RC1 is Out!

Well here's the product page I found for Terry's model, though thier app should work accross all of thier products. They've got a driver download there too, maybe they've put up a newer one than you are getting through WUD...

Interesting. I would check the driver date. With any luck these are the drivers that are fully tested with Win7 RTM.

I had to play around with various drivers when I was getting the card detected after having removed it to prevent the Install BSODs. There's no problem with the device now as far as Device Management's concerned, (or WMC come to that - it identifies it correctly by name during the Live TV setup).
It just doesn't successfully tune in any signals, even when it detects the channels and their online program guide data.
WinTV7 incidentally Jus is absolute cr*p. I upgraded on vista from 6 to 7, but it was so bad I used Revo to flush it from the system and reverted to 6. I was having problems with WMC on Vista too at the time, so after I'd fixed/circumvented them I tried 7 again in case the MC problems had impacted the other app, but it was still terrible (it worked sort of, but some of the customization interface had disappeared, the documentation was non-existent, and half the features didn't work properly, so after I'd flushed it again, I didn't even bother with 6, but just used MC.
I had tried WinTV6 on 7000, but W7 wouldn't install it successfully, and 7000 MC worked straight out of the box perfectly, so I haven't actually tried any Hauppauge software on 7100. I've just been trying to get MC going.

Well I tried :frowning:

I guess there's nothing you can do now but wait and see. Or you could try contacting Hauppauge directly once W7's out if they still don't got up a W7 compatible driver. I did that with HP, and had them ship me out a CD free of charge for my printer at Vista's launch before they even posted it on their site.

HP still don't support either my printer or scanner on Vista. That's my main reason for keeping XP bootable.

Terry,
I have the Hauppauge HVR2250 on my Win 7 RTM rig and it works fine, just as long as I install ONLY the driver (from their website). Although their software does work in it's basic form, various other aspects of it don't so have learnt to omit it.
Is your problem a missing Windows 7 driver? Have you tried installing the driver from the product page (above) in compatibility mode?

I use Windows Media Center exclusively for TV reception.

Last edited:
If I had RTM, things might be better Peter, but this is 7100RC, and it's not a driver problem. I'm pretty sure it's an unfixed fault in 7100WMC which WUD is not applying due to problems of its own.
I'm currently downloading the RTM 90 day trial from the Link Mak gave.
I'll let you know whether it goes onto my hardware as easily as 7000 or as poorly as 7100.
More to follow.

Last edited:
Hauppauge's support is limited to only a few models at this time for W7. Like Peter said his model's working, so its a matter of time before they get the others up to date.

Well I'm happy to report that the 7600 Enterprise build 90 day trial is almost back to 7000 standard for ease of installation.
The build installed cleanly and quickly with all my kit attached, no BSODs.
Not quite as good as 7000, my graphics and monitor still set to generic VGA, but a quick set of three "update drivers" from my Vista Driverstore had them sorted quite quickly, and the MC recognized, configured and tuned-in my twin DTV without problems.
I've been using it all day - all my posts here today have come from 7600.
So far -so good
Just goes to show that my original assessment of 7100 was correct - It was a "c*mpl*t* l**d *f sh*t".
I've no idea how such a backward step got into what seemed such a clean development before and since.

Still "all's well etc etc", so thanks for the link Mak. I can start now what I was never able to get to with the RC, customizing it and loading it up with apps to see what it's really like to work with.

Glad that the RTM build is more to your liking Terry. I have been using it since the 6th and i love it. I dont even dual boot anymore. But of course i also loaded up 35 games on here to test compatibility so i needed almost all 200Gb of space i had on the drive. XD

All 35. there was 3 other games which are not installed which dont work. There is Starcraft, Starcraft Brood War and Star Wars Knights of the old republic.

32 Bit Compatibility List
64 Bit Compatibility List

That is everything i have installed and tested so far. Yes it needs a bit of updating as well. The 35 games installed do include the games that come with Windows. As i have all my shortcuts in the Games Folder which has Solitaire and that in it as well. I jsut opened it up and read the amount of items it registered.

Just discovered something which you all probably know but was puzzling me.
I kept reading of the wonderful Aero-snap in reviews, but found it was non-functional on every version of W7 I ever tried.
Turns out to be a combination of insufficiently precise description of the feature, and my own personal quirk of "pushing" rather than "dragging"
You don't "drag the window to the edge of the screen", you "grab the window and drag the cursor to the edge of the screen"
When, like me, you grab the right hand side of the bar and push left, or vice versa, absolutely nothing happens until the window has almost disappeared. It's not until the cursor finally reaches the edge that the snap occurs.

Last edited:
I find I can minimise a Windows that way, but can't get it to maximise again without resorting to the conventional method using the usual button near the top right corner of the browser window.

These features don't always work as they are supposed to.

Last edited:
You need to drag it away from the top edge Peter. Otherwise it retains its half-screen shape.
(I'm talking about the 2 half-screens side by side feature btw, not the "drag to the top and it maximizes" feature. I can't see a use for that at all. It's far quicker just to click the "max" button, and that way the window returns to its previous position on restore.)
When max min and restore are simple one-click functions, I can't think why they need to invent a more unwieldy way to do it.

Last edited:
I understand. I guess it's a case of "each to his own" as to how one does these things. I keep forgetting all about these little features.

If you drag to the edge of the screen its a little hard to notice but you'll know when to release when a line appears around the border of the screen. When you're maximizing its still quicker to just double-click the title bar of the window though in my opinion. I think you can also use Win + <- and Win + -> for moving windows to the side, though I still wish they didn't take out the right click menu for those features (stupid jump lists).

That's my point Jus,
the line appearing has nothing to do with the window position. It happens only when the cursor reaches the edge in question. In my case that's when the window has all-but disappeared into cyberspace.

Back