Windows 7 SP1 RTM Released to OEM

No hurry. It's academic now.
I decided to let chkdsk loose on the one most easily recreated and it was fine, so I did the other too, and now both are "clean" again, but I can't see any obvious changes in the registry mounted devices info, so no wiser on the whereabouts.
Still a bit concerned about W7's recent wobbliness though.

Got it installed with no problem in both my PC's Win 7 Ultimate partitions (x64) but it steadfastly refuses to install in my Dell Mini 1010 netbook with Win 7 Ultimate x86.

While the netbook is limited on processor speed (1.33ghz) and memory (1gb) I have loads of free HDD space and have disabled all protection including Avast A/V, Comodo F/W (both free) and even Windows Defender, even turned off any updating that might occur.

The error occurs almost at the end of the install "Error-E_Fail(0X80004005)" and when I look that up it states to disable A/V and antispyware which I've done.

Any ideas?

The only other problem with the PC installs is that now Windows Mail (hacked) no longer works (again)...have asked for help in the tutorial thread over at SevenForums with that. I would imagine that fix is fairly simple.

Edit: Replacing msoe.dll with the original version cures the WM issue.

Last edited:
Computer Guru,

“I'm considering installing Linux and running everything in a virtual machine, never actually using the Linux install; but that way I can just create VMWare snapshots and revert to them if anything goes wrong...”

What about using Windows XP to backup Windows 7. Then when Windows 7 messes up you can restore the operating system to a prior state selectively. Also, last I looked it was $189.

VMware Workstation 7.1
http://store.vmware.com/store?Actio...are&id=ProductDetailsPage&productID=221027300

My thread seems to have morphed into a Linux discussion thread and I still would like some ideas on the install SP1 error in my netbook.

All I can gather from research with the same error when installing Vista SP2 (for instance) is that the SP needs to rewrite the boot files and this Win 7 partition is the 2nd (D:smile: of 2, the first being XP (C:smile: and I use EasyBCD/iReboot to boot between.

Any idea how I can get around it?

I didn't have this issue in my PC with the x64 multi-boot systems, so this is getting weirder and weirder. I even uninstalled all protection thinking that would help, it didn't.

Last edited:
Peter, try running msconfig and starting up Windows in minimal mode, rebooting and installing from there. But make sure to enable the Windows Installer Service or it won't work.

PoC: I already have multiple XP and VMware licenses. Have you ever tried the snapshots in VMware? It's so easy to use and makes taking and restoring images of a system (even while it's running!) a real snap.

Thanks Mahmoud,

In one Tute I read re: this error it said, in a multi-boot scenario, to make that partition Active, but I can't see that doing anything with boot files and possibly will prevent multi-booting anyway, what do you think?

Why would booting up using minimal resources make a difference?

(Just edited the above post to remove those smilies, sorry about that).

Addendum:

Oh God, I marked D: active and now the netbook wont boot at all darn it. What should I do?

It says

"NTLDR is missing
Press Ctrl_Alt_Del to restart"

Edit: To make matters worse, if I put my XP SP3 disk in (using an external CD/DVD drive) and go to do a repair installation I can't get beyond F8 - 'I agree' the CD must be damaged - then I discovered netbook keyboards are different, you have to press Fn - F8..

The trouble is I don't get a repair option for XP, dammit.

I am in the Recovery Console but not sure what to do next.

Addendum:

I'm trying THIS but can't seem to find the correct drive letter for the external drive.

In the Rec. Console it has given drive letter E: to XP C: to Windows 7 and no matter what I do it keeps saying wrong path.

Edit: OK I finally figured out G is my optical drive and I replace ntldr and ntdetect.com successfully but it still wont boot.

HELP !!

I tried fixmbr etc...doesn't work. Bootcfg can't find any disks etc. etc. If there was a simple way to unmark my Win 7 drive as active in XP's recovery console I'd do it but Google has let me down in that respect.
I think the only solution is to forget XP altogether and format the drive and install Windows 7.
Now...I wonder if I can merge partitions as well as delete them in the installation.....doubt it and have never tried it before....

I guess you guys are out of ideas.

Last edited:
Sorry, Peter, didn't see this until now. Stuck in meetings all day from lunch onwards.

You can change the active drive from the command line via the diskpart command.

You can also use the Windows Vista or 7 CD to access the Windows Vista or 7 recovery environment w/ its improved tools.

Thanks for getting back to me, I was starting to panic. Fortunately I managed to find the cure. Unfortunately DISKPART doesn't function the same way in the Recovery Console - all you can do is create/delete a partition in there.

I finally managed to get into Windows using the solution here: Simple "ntldr is missing" fix with boot floppy, CD-R, or USB flash

The first thing I did was make C: active again.

Managed to edit EasyBCD entries and it appears that I can now boot between systems again on my netbook thank goodness.

This doesn't solve the issue that the service pack wouldn't install. I guess I'm going to have to wait until it comes down the pipe from WU then enlist the free MSFT help that's one is supposed to get with any such update.

Last edited:
Welcome back to the land of the living. Glad EasyBCD came through for you. I think Windows XP has a minimal diskpart, but the Windows Vista/7 CDs don't.

Try installing it in the minimal Windows mode with msconfig?

No, but I found a Technet thread about it and they have had the same issues exactly and the minimum startup didn't help there. They basically were told to wait until WU then see what happens.

Strange as the WU one is usually the one to fail not the direct install.

The only MAC thing I have is my IPad and that's for when I am too lazy to use my PC or Netbook.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting that Terry, now I am hoping to high heaven that its version number matches the one I got because for some unknown reason Windows conveniently wiped out that restore point in both the Win 7's I have on this machine, and on my netbook.

If the air turns blue over the northern hemisphere, you know my hopes have been dashed and I'm off to a retreat somewhere high in the Himalaya....LOL

Addendum:

By the way, it's Feb 16 for MSDN/Technet according to Seven Forums.

Last edited:
Everyone over at SevenForums is now biting their fingernails praying that the checksum will be the same for the actual release and the torrent we all used.

I guess we'll all know on the 16th, those of us on Technet, or 22nd for the rest of the hoi polloi.

I'm especially anxious as the darn thing wiped all my restore points including its own on all of the installations, and on my netbook it refused to install at all so I used a slipstreamed disk to reinstall the system altogether, so I shall be really overjoyed if I have to reinstall 3 OS's.

:scared::wtf::tongueout:oint:

I've got one Windows machine max. I got tired of managing them all. My other systems pretty much take care of themselves. Though I've got the rest of my family to worry about. ZoomText is important to my dad for example. Hope this service pack update doesn't mess things up.

Back