Windows 7 start up problem

Everytime I start up my laptop I get this error(I am on a different laptop atm since I can't use the one having the problem a all)
Intel UNDI, PXE-2.0 (build 083)
Copyright (c) 1997-2000 Intel Coporation

For Atheros PCIE Ethernet Controller v2.0.1.9(12/15/09)

Check cable connection!
PE-M0F: Exiting Intel PXE ROM.
No Bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key
I am using a Toshiba Satellite C655D-S5043.I am not sure how this problem happened because I got it like this from my mother when she got a new computer.I searched for a fix for this but couldn't find a good one. Also someone said that I should check my HDD/SSD or something like that but all I could find on that was HDD/SSD: None .

That is telling you that there is no hard drive in the system. Since it shows None under the hard drive information then the BIOS is not recognizing the drive at all and the machine must have the hard drive replaced or sent in for repair to find out why it is not detecting the hard drive.

Very simple (free) thing to try first.
Eject and reinsert the HDD several times to clean up the contacts.
Sometimes it can be that easy.

uhm whats an MBR and How do I get to my HDD?(sorta new to computer stuff like this)

EDIT:I found my HDD and removed it and put it back in multiple times and it still didn't work.Could I just buy a Win7 Installation disk and reinstall everything?

Last edited:
In that case, either the HDD is dead, or the connections to it are faulty.
Try putting it in another PC to verify that it's not the latter.
Assumimg it's the former, there's no option other than buying a new HDD.
You can contact the OEM for recovery media if you didn't make any backup from the hidden recovery partition while the HDD was working.
That should be cheaper than buying a new copy of Windows, though it might be an opportunity to upgrade to W7 if it wasn't already the OS, provided that the other laptop specs are up to it.
If the HDD is accessible in another PC, then the laptop will need to go in for repair and, depending on the cost, ditching it for a newer one might be a more cost effective option.

Back