Windows Vista SP1 RTM is already on testers machines!, Build 18000

I believe the updater has changed. Cause it was still labeled as RC1 when it was released. It is now RTM. So they would have to change the updater to show the change in at least that part of the code. :wink:

I just wish that someone somewhere would settle this question; is RC Refresh 2 SP1 RTM or isn't it?

I'd also love to know why it made my hidden Ultimate Language Packs updates vanished as soon as I installed any of the SP1 betas.

I would like to know why i couldnt install Dreamscene. But sadly these answers may never be found. At elast not until RTM does get rleeased and someone can go thru the code of it line by line. :wink:

I would like to know why i couldnt install Dreamscene. But sadly these answers may never be found. At elast not until RTM does get rleeased and someone can go thru the code of it line by line. :wink:

That's weird. You have Ultimate? Dreamscene is supposed to be exclusively for Ultimate. At least I managed to get that, not that it mounts to much really.

I installed SP1 and i dont seem to have any issues. But it doesnt seem to fix any significant ones either ( my computer still wont wake up from sleep).

Ron!n,

Can you tell me the build number please?

1. Open Registry Editor (by typing Regedit in Start Search or by going to a command prompt and entering regedit)
2. Navigate to the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion
3. In the right pane, you will see lots of registry subkeys. Check the following Key
BuildLabEx
This contains build and revision number. For example, Vista SP1 Refresh 2 (the purported RTM) has the following build number: 6001.18000.rtm.080118-1840
This is what I have - installed as SP1 RC Refresh 2 of course. But some circles are suggesting that RTM is build 2040

well this is what i have:
BuildLabEx: 6001.1800.x86fre.longhorn_rtm.080118-1840
I didnt exactly get this copy of SP1 form MSDN or anything but it is SP1

I have SP1 RTM on my desktop, but I still can't get it to install. I think I'm going to format and re-try, because this current Vista install is freezing (not BSODing, just freezing) for no explicable reason.

OK, finally got SP1 RTM (from Connect) installed. Peter, here's the build tag:

x64: 6001.18000.amd64fre.longhorn_rtm.080118-1840
x86: 6001.18000.x86fre.longhorn_rtm.080118-1840

Compared to Ron!n and Mak's build tags above, this one has an extra 0 in 18000 (unless that was a typo on Ron!n's behalf).

Thanks for that info. I think that they made a typo perhaps.
In other news I finally got a reasonable explanation for why my Vista Ultimate Extra Language Packs have vanished from my hidden updates - wait until SP1 is released in all the different languages, then they should reappear as optional updates.
I hope that is the case.
Now I wonder if I should, when SP1 is finally officially released to the public, uninstall this refresh 2?

Well Guru you are right. I was a mistype. The labels are the same. I have only installed Refresh 2 and since the builds are the same i wont bother to unisntall Refresh 2. I will try to see how long this one works.

I don't think it has an expiry date. The only concern I have hanging on to refresh 2 is the question of whether or not it's blocking other updates.
Question 2, if I do remove it I assume that I would also have to remove that registry entry too (the one that told WU to download it)?

I don't think it has an expiry date. The only concern I have hanging on to refresh 2 is the question of whether or not it's blocking other updates.
Question 2, if I do remove it I assume that I would also have to remove that registry entry too (the one that told WU to download it)?
No. MS has confirmed to me that that registry entry is harmless.

I'd recommend uninstalling just to be safe; Windows Update is quirky enough as it is without pre-release builds and so on...

I thought so. I'll wait, however, until the final is released to Joe Public. I don't want my Vista to slow down again - SP1 made quite a difference!!

Thanks!

:smile:

Back