Windows Vista SP1 RTM is already on testers machines!, Build 18000

Special thanks to those of you who tested SP1 RC Refresh 2 (6001.18000). That was our very last release candidate and it was, in fact, the very same bits as the final release. (It was a Release Candidate in the truest sense of the word.) Those of you who installed the SP1 RC Refresh 2 will not need to update to the final version-you already have it.

That should answer your question, Peter :smile:

Addendum:

oh, and slip-streamed SP1 DVDs are now available!

Last edited:
lol, no, I meant for those with MSDN, etc.... I'm downloading the slipstreamed DVD off of Connect now, but I'm not sure if it's up on MSDN yet.

Pity they made it so difficult to slipstream manually. XP SP2 was a breeze if I recall.

Addendum:

Is it worth $350US/year just to get these things early I ask myself.

Last edited:
I finally got them. But only the x86 build was on the MSDN for now. They have the x86, x64 and the dual DVD update. But only the full Vista with SP1 for x86.

With the difficulties I've read with slipstreaming/integrating SP1 into Vista DVD I wonder how average people like me are going to deal with it.
I guess if I ever have to reinstall I'll just have to bite the bullet and then install SP1 straight afterwards.

From what i have heard M$ is going to offer the Vista SP1 DVD to people with legit serials. I think you might have to pay a small fee for shipping but that is it. If even that. From what i know after they deploy it to the net and get everyone updated they plan on pushing it out on DVD to people who want it. But they have to get it deployed for every language first.

Well they did that with XP SP2 and probably will do it here and with XP SP3. The difference being that XP's SP's are easily slipstreamed and Vista's are not.

It's nice to know that Windows Update recognizes my SP1 as the RTM, plus that my Windows is genuine...update 940510 just installed.
The "Microsoft spies are at it again" group is already screeching about it online. All those poor sods with illegal Vista installations who unwittingly install it, will suddenly find that they have an inoperable system or have to go through hoops to get things working again.
When the update is installed, no functionality of your operating system will be affected. If no exploits are detected, the update silently exits. If exploits are detected, you will be provided a link to a Web site that describes how you can remove the exploits. When the exploits are removed, you may be asked to use a valid product key to activate your copy of Windows. If you do not want to remove the exploits, Windows may disable the exploits and then ask you to use a valid product key to activate Windows.
My heart bleeds.....NOT

http://msmvps.com/blogs/donna/archive/2008/02/27/microsoft-released-kb940510-for-vista.aspx

Last edited:
Thanks for the update. I just checked and sure enough i have this update available to me as well. Installing now. I know mine is legit and already activated. If not i would not be able to have the uptime counter running at 5+ days already. :tongueout:

Back