XP & Win7 Boot Help

You shouldn't have need to do that any more. That's what Easy2 does.

Thats the advice we have given a million times in the past, before Easy2 removed the need, but you were unlucky enough to have something about your HDD setup which stopped Easy2 (or the bootgrabber component) from working.

Glad you're OK now though, even by the old-fashioned route.

Hi guys,

@Terry:
. . . you were unlucky enough to have something about your HDD setup which stopped Easy2 (or the bootgrabber component) from working.

I had to LOL out loud when I read that! :grinning: It wasn't until a month ago that I was finally able to install XP SP2 without having to rebuild everything. I've got my computer super tweaked (startup = 48 seconds; shutdown = 8 seconds) and I think that may have been part of the problem.

@Jake: No problems, just a question; I get the W7 bootscreen with W7 and XP, yet in msconfig, W7 is the only thing listed. How do I add XP to the W7 msconfig? Will it cause any conflicts? Or, should I just leave well enough alone?

So far, I'm not that impressed with W7 — especially after coming over from XP. Maybe it's just because it's a Release Candidate, but so far I've found about 20+ things you can't do and there's no tweak for it. WMP12 leaves something to be desired, and from all I've read, I'll have to add a GB of RAM (I've got 1GB now), replace my video card (128MB AGP) and Sound Card.

It does have some nice features, but I'm a meat-and-potatoes kinda guy and I really don't need to sync my iPhone and my NanoTunes and make a DVD of it. By the way WMP12 will crash the computer if you put in a DVD. Also, mp3 files and avi files don't play, either.

msconfig is describing the configuration of the running system. It has nothing to do with any other OS which might be sitting on the HDD.

Hi Terry,

Thank you. I was just wondering because in XP it shows both XP and XP(2) when I have my 2nd XP HDD plugged in. With W7, it only shows itself.

Hi Terry,

Thank you. I was just wondering because in XP it shows both XP and XP(2) when I have my 2nd XP HDD plugged in. With W7, it only shows itself.
That is because XP and W7 use two different bootloaders.:wink: XP's msconfig can show the two XPs because it reads from the BOOT.INI as it is the configuration file for that OS. But in the W7 msconfig, on the other hand, it cannot show the two XPs because the configuration file for W7 is BCD, and it is not aware of the configuration file of XP. However, if you had two W7s, then you would see both in W7's msconfig, but would not see either one in XP's msconfig. :smile:

Back