Get the fix for the boot error “winload.exe is missing or corrupt” in Windows Vista, 7 or 8.
Automatically fix the winload.exe is missing or corrupt error with Easy Recovery Essentials!
See how it works here or Download Easy Recovery Essentials to fix this error
Your “Status” error code may be 0xc000000d, 0xc000000e, 0xc000000f or different variations, but the file will still be “winload.exe”. This depends on your Windows version and other variables that are computer-specific.
If the Status error code is 0xc000000e, also have a look at the Fix for “0xc000000e” article covered here.
Sample winload.exe is missing or corrupt error at startup in Vista
Windows Boot Manager Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem: 1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer. 2. Choose your language settings, and then click "Next." 3. Click "Repair your computer." If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance File: \Windows\system32\winload.exe Status: 0xc000000f Info: The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt
Fix winload.exe is missing in Windows Vista, 7, 8
Windows Setup CD/DVD Required!
Some of the solutions below require the use of the Microsoft Windows setup CD or DVD. If your PC did not come with a Windows installation disc or if you no longer have your Windows setup media, you can use Easy Recovery Essentials for Windows instead. EasyRE will automatically find and fix many problems, and can also be used to solve this problem with the directions below.
Fix #1: Rebuild the BCD with Bootrec.exe
BCD stands for Boot Configuration Data, contains boot configurations options and controls how your Windows is started.
Bootrec.exe is a tool built in the Windows Recovery Environment (Windows RE) that can repair boot configuration data and master boot records. You can access Bootrec.exe using a Windows installation disc.
- Insert your Windows install disc and boot from it
- Press any key at the “Press any key to boot from CD or DVD” message
- Choose Repair your computer after you select the language, time and keyboard method
- Select your Windows installation drive (usually
C:\) and click Next
- Select Command Prompt in the System Recovery Options box
bootrec /rebuildbcdand press Enter:
- Wait for the program to finish
Fix #2: Use Easy Recovery Essentials
Easy Recovery Essentials, our Windows recovery and repair disk, can fix this error automatically and much faster using its built-in Automated Repair program. It supports Windows XP, Vista, 7 or 8.
- Download Easy Recovery Essentials. Choose your version (XP, Vista, 7 or 8) before you go to download
- Burn the image. Follow these instructions on how to burn the bootable ISO image very carefully, as making a bootable CD can be tricky!
- Boot into Easy Recovery Essentials
- Choose Automated Repair option and click Continue
- Choose your Windows installation drive’s letter (usually
C:\) and click on Automated Repair
- Easy Recovery Essentials will now begin to fix the error automatically
- Once the process is complete, click on Restart
- Fixed, the “winload.exe is missing or corrupt” error is now solved:
You can download Easy Recovery Essentials from here.
Fix #3: Use sfc /scannow
sfc /scannow (sfc stands for System File Checker) command will scan all Windows protected files to try replace the corrupt ones with the correct versions.
Here are the steps to run
- Boot from the install CD
- Select your language, time and keyboard method
- Click on Repair your computer
- Select your operating system when the System Recovery Options box appears, but note down the drive’s letter (e.g.
G:etc.). In our example this will be
- Select Command Prompt
- Type the following command with your hard drive’s letter:
- When scanning is complete, type
exitto quit the Command Prompt:
- Restart your computer
- Easy Recovery Essentials for Windows, an easy-to-use and automated diagnostics disk. Our recovery and repair disk is available for Windows 8, Windows 7 and Windows Vista. It’s also available for Windows XP or Windows Server editions.
- The NeoSmart Support Forums, member-to-member technical support and troubleshooting.
- Get a discounted price on replacement setup and installation discs: Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8.
This Windows-related knowledgebase article applies to the following operating systems:
- Windows Vista (all editions)
- Windows 7 (all editions)
- Windows 8 (all editions)