Anyone Here Still Using Word 2003/Office 2003?

Ex_Brit

Staff member
I'm using Office 2007 and it no longer carries a Letter Wizard...

The letter wizard does still work in Word 2007 if you have it from a prior version,
but you'll need the Wizard and the templates for the letter styles in it (Elegant, Contemporary and Professional) that it uses.
Basically the Wizard was dropped because the new features and letter style in Word 2007.

I stupidly threw out my old 2003 version....anyone have those entities - the letter wizard, plus the Elegant, Contemporary and Profeesional templates?

I could then transplant them into mine if I can ascertain exactly where they should go.....that's another story.

I know, I should get with the program but I used to use it a lot.

I have Word 2003, but am not sure where exactly to locate those templates you need. :wink: I'll look around, and see if I can find them for you.

-Coolname007

Addendum:

Found it. :smile: They're in the 1033 folder, located at C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Templates\1033, though you will obviously need to put them in the correct location in your case. I'm using XP, and I suspect the path for Vista might be slightly different. You will need to put them in a place where the app can find them. Hold on while I upload it...

-Coolname007

Addendum:

Got it. :smile: Here you go:
1033.zip
I just figured it would be easier to upload the whole 1033 folder, and so I did just that, compressing it as a .zip, and then uploaded it to MediaFire. Let me know if it downloads ok for you. :wink:

Cheers,

-Coolname007

Last edited:
Thanks a million. I've got to now figure out where the heck everything goes in Vista. It's not the same in that 1033 folder so will have to be careful.
The wizards don't appear in there at all, will have to locate them.

The wizards don't appear in there at all, will have to locate them.

The wizards should all be in that 1033 folder, including the "Letter Wizard". :wink: Of course, you will probably have to extract everything first before you can use anything in there.

-Coolname007

I found them in your folder OK, it's locating the correct place to put them in Office 2007. It already has an envelope wizard, but I can't even locate where that is stored, so have some research to do. Obviously the letter wizard goes in the same folder....when I find it. The templates themselves shouldn't be an issue.
Yes, I have hidden files & folders enabled.

Thanks for all the help.

Hold on...let me reboot into Vista (since I'm in XP now), and check my own Word 2007 folders, and get back to you when I locate where they need to go. :wink:

Cheers,

-Coolname007

Thanks so much. My eyesight isn't the best but for the life of me I can't see anything.wiz anywhere...!!!! I'm assuming of course that the currently installed wizards use that extension still.

Ok...it appears to be located at the same place. :wink: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Templates\1033. I have both 2007 and 2003 installed at the same time (dumb, i know...) on Vista, and so that folder contains the Letter Wizard too in my system, but it appears to also contain the 07 files as well. I think it would work perfectly fine if you put the Letter Wizard, templates, and whatever other files don't currently exist in the 1033 folder of Office 07, in your 1033 folder, and copy them over from the 1033 folder you downloaded. :wink: Let me know if you have any problems. Your Envelope Wizard should also already be in that 1033 folder. 03 and 07 must put *those* files at least, in the same place.

-Coolname007

Last edited:
Well I copied them into the folder. The old ones are easily identifiable as they have .dot extension rather than .dotx, but I never did have any wizards there, despite having a working envelope wizard.

The wizards don't seem to integrate with the Word interface but rather one has to go to the folder and click them to activate.

I'll see if I can find more info online.

Well I copied them into the folder. The old ones are easily identifiable as they have .dot extension rather than .dotx, but I never did have any wizards there, despite having a working envelope wizard.

The wizards don't seem to integrate with the Word interface but rather one has to go to the folder and click them to activate.

I'll see if I can find more info online.

Hmm...could be because there's some kind of "proceedure" to perform to get them working in 07 if copied over from 03. :wink: I'll do some research myself, and let you know if I come up with anything.

-Coolname007

Thanks. I do know that each individual document can be converted into the new format but I'm still mystified as to why I couldn't find the envelope wizard at all prior to this despite it already being in Office 2007.
Also that letter wizard isn't the one I was hoping for. I think I was using the Works 2002 one now that I really think about it. It had a really neat interface.

Ok cool, the template folder you're referring to though in Office folder at program files would only apply to '03 I think. Where it needs to go for 07 I have no clue. Templates folder for your user profile or as stated elsewhere in macro settings would probably be it. Within that folder the different versions of Office are separated into sub-dirs, like for example, Office 07 is typically installed in a folder by the name Office12.

Even if you do get it all in the correct locations, I'm still not sure if its going to work, espically if the templates or wizards take advantage of macros and you've got the new format set up as the default save type. I had a thread awhile back on how macros don't work in the new office formats... unless they've patched it by now.

Last edited:
Thanks. I do know that each individual document can be converted into the new format but I'm still mystified as to why I couldn't find the envelope wizard at all prior to this despite it already being in Office 2007.
Also that letter wizard isn't the one I was hoping for. I think I was using the Works 2002 one now that I really think about it. It had a really neat interface.

If you still can't find the Envelope Wizard, and its not in the 1033 folder, then just do a Search for "Envelope Wizard" without the quotes, and you should be able to find it no matter where it is. :wink:

-Coolname007

Addendum:

Ok cool, the template folder you're referring to though in Office folder at program files would only apply to '03 I think. Where it needs to go for 07 I have no clue. Templates folder for your user profile or as stated elsewhere in macro settings would probably be it. Within that folder the different versions of Office are separated into sub-dirs, like for example, Office 07 is typically installed in a folder by the name Office11.

I wondered about that. :wink: In mine, I noticed two different folders, one named "Office12" and the other named "Office11" (most likely the 03 version). I was going to suggest putting them into the "1033" folder found in Office12, but then I compared the files in my XP Templates/1033 with the ones in my Vista Templates/1033, and I noticed that there were some files in Vista's that weren't in XP's, so I figured 07 must also install its templates and/or wizards to the same folder as 03. And I also checked the 1033 folders in Office11 and Office12, and didn't find any wizards there...

-Coolname007

Last edited:
Well actually I meant Office12 for 07 and Office11 for 03. Fixed now :smile:

But still, even finding the right location here may only be half the battle :frowning: Unfortunately, I don't got 03 on any of my machines anymore, but I'll try to look around anyway to see if we can resolve this issue.

Last edited:
I tried searching for "Envelope Wizard" and the only one it found was yours that I had just imported.

As far as anything in my own name folders, all I can find their that is at all relevant are the recent items.

I tried searching for "Envelope Wizard" and the only one it found was yours that I had just imported.

As far as anything in my own name folders, all I can find their that is at all relevant are the recent items.

Then the only thing that can be concluded from that is that 07 must not have the Envelope Wizard and/or the Envelope Wizard you said you had somehow got deleted or lost. :wink: Have you tried searching hidden folders too?

-Coolname007

Yes and I assure you that Office 2007/Word 2007 has the envelope wizard, but that is the only one that I have ever found (by clicking "Envelopes" - but have never found its location). It's the combined envelope/labels wizard. I have never found a new fax wizard or any of the other wizards.

Yes and I assure you that Office 2007/Word 2007 has the envelope wizard, but that is the only one that I have ever found (by clicking "Envelopes" - but have never found its location). It's the combined envelope/labels wizard. I have never found a new fax wizard or any of the other wizards.

Well, try using it now, and see if the app can find it...:brows:

-Coolname007

Sorry, not sure what you mean. Use what now and let what app find it? I thought that's what I've been doing up until now.

The envelope wizard was always there so am not worried about that anyway.

All I'm, trying to do is re-introduce the missing wizards back into the Office interface. I know that I can open them anyway by clicking on the ones that you zipped for me. But it would be nice if they appeared in the Office interface.

Sorry, not sure what you mean. Use what now and let what app find it? I thought that's what I've been doing up until now.

I meant to try using the Envelope Wizard from Office 07, to see if it still works...:wink: It could very well be it no longer does, especially if you can't find it by searching for it.

-Coolname007

Back