Advanced Setting Question

LunaEros

I'm trying to move my system to a new drive for 2-3 weeks. I'm at the point where I'm booting in UEFI to the new 8tb GPT drive. The new drive has both the system and boot files but it's booting with the system bootloader on the new drive but reading the boot OS files from the old MBR drive and I can't seem to get everything to work from the new drive.

I see on the EasyBCD Advanced section that I can apparently change where the bootloader reads the OS files from the old to the new drive but I'm concerned that maybe this isn't what that setting does and will leave the system unbootable and I won't be able to fix it.
Is that what that setting does and how could I fix it if it makes it unbootable?

Can you post a screenshot of your Disk Management and the contents of EasyBCD "view settings" (detailed mode)

What you've somehow contrived is to boot the OS on C from a BCD on H, the opposite of what you thought was happening.

Disk Management flags have the following meanings

"boot" = "this is the system you're running"
"system" = "this is where I found the boot files for the currently running system"
"active" (on the first HDD in the BIOS boot sequence) = "this is where I started the search for the boot files"
"active" (on subsequent HDDs in the BIOS boot sequence) ="this is where I will look if I don't find something in the MBR on the first HDD"

On GPT there is no "active" flag and an EFI boot will just look for the EFI System Partition, but you've somehow booted from H.
Is that a clone of C ?
If so the BCD on H will actually still be pointing at C because there are no letters in the BCD, only UIDs which are a hash of the unique serial number of the device and the cylinder offset of the partition start, so booting from H will actually load the OS on C. EasyBCD lets you interact with it using letters by translating in each direction from the registry's device map which links UIDs with letters, which are either user specified (using Disk Management) or dynamically assigned at boot time.
The BCD you posted shows that you are telling the BCD on the EFI System partition to boot from C, though Disk Management implies that you're not actually booting from the EFI partition anyway.
Is there a /boot/BCD in the root of H (you'll need folder options set thus
to be able to see it.
If there is, that's where the PC is being told to start the boot process.
How have you set the boot in your BIOS.
Are you booting in compatibility mode ?

There's a boot folder on H but no BCD under it.
The bios is set for UEFI at the moment if that's what you mean. The only other option in that is UEFI+LEGACY

Add an entry to the BCD pointing to H. Give it a name that distinguishes it from the copy on C
Boot and choose the new entry
Check that Disk Management now shows the GPT copy as "boot" to confirm that you're successfully on your cloned copy.
It will probably now show as "C", bearing in mind what I said before
EasyBCD lets you interact with it using letters by translating in each direction from the registry's device map which links UIDs with letters, which are either user specified (using Disk Management) or dynamically assigned at boot time.
and the copy on the old HDD will have some other letter (EasyBCD is translating from a different map on a different OS,)
You can then remove the entry for the old OS if you wish.

That would seem to confirm my initial diagnosis that the BCD details you posted are not from the BCD actually being used to boot your system.
Check that you don't have something specified in EasyBCD > Tools > Options > "Automatically load ..." that's forcing EasyBCD to look at the wrong BCD.
In File > Select BCD store, point it at C which the "system" flag is indicating as the location of the BCD actually being used, then repeat the drill from post #6

Ok. I did it and started up on the GPT drive which it also called C: now. But it's still showing the system files on the MBR drive. It also didn't assign my other drives any letters.

Boot Menu.jpg

Sorry, my fault. I said point EasyBCD at C when I should have said H which was "system" on your previous screenshot.
So you've successfully managed to create a BCD entry for your new OS in the wrong BCD, though I don't know why the PC booted from that drive when it had previously booted from the SSD. Did you alter the BIOS boot sequence too?
Can you post the contents of "view settings" again in that configuration please.

I don't have an SSD. Just SATA drives. the MBR and GPT. The BIOS is set to boot from UEFI Hard Drive first entry and the 2G NBR drive secondly.
So I'm not 100% sure if it's booting from the GPT and throwing it to the MBR or if it's not finding anything to boot from on the GPT and just proceeding to the MBR and finding boot menu there.

Sorry, just assumed the GPT drive would be an SSD these days but it makes no difference to the boot logic.
Can you post the view settings as currently seen the way the system is booting now.

Wow. You mean they make SSDs as big as 8TB now? Bet those cost some bucks.
Ok. This is the detailed when when choosing the menu entry for Stormfront Windows which is the 8TB GPT I'm trying to get everything on.

When I first cloned to this 8TB drive it made it an MBR drive. I forget which program I used but it did have the option of cloning to a "graphical user drive/system" or something like that but I didn't choose it because I didn't know what it was at the time. I've been trying to fix it for weeks since then.
I wonder if it's only gonna be able to work if I just clone it again and choose that GPT option.

EZBCD.jpg

That confirms what I thought. You're booting in legacy BIOS mode (winload.exe).
In your post #3 you'll notice winload.efi indicating a UEFI boot which should have meant the "system" flag would be on the EFI System partition instead of where it was on H.
If you're not booting in UEFI mode then there's no use for that EFI system partition.
Have a read of
Windows and GPT FAQ and decide exactly how you want your system set up

Right now the bios is set at "Legacy + UEFI". The only other option is "UEFI" but I don't know if it will boot up that way.
Should I try that?

Oh, and I definitely want it to be GPT. I have a huge amount of media and need the GPT to get all the space I can from the 8TB.

Last edited:
If you boot in UEFI mode, you should see a "Windows Boot Manager" option in the boot sequence among all the device options.
If you put that top of the boot order it should boot using the BCD in the ESP that you posted in #3 and you should see the winload.efi loader being used in EasyBCD. Make sure that contains an entry for your new GPT W7.

Back