April

thank you anyone who posted has passed i don't mind posting its no trouble i was just making sure that there was someone to read it thank you
quite some nice ones today:
april 9th:
1-Confederate General Robert E. Lee surrenders to Ulysses S. Grant at Appomattox Courthouse, ending the Civil War. (1865)
2-French explorer LaSalle reaches the Mississippi river (1691)
3- The U.S. Senate passes a law making Winston Churchill the first honorary U.S. citizen. (1963)
4-Winston Churchill Day

I didn't have a chance to post anything yesterday (server problems galore) so you'll excuse this one-day-late comment:

April 9th 2008 marks the 60th anniversary of the Massacre of Deir Yassin (1948); when Zionist forces stormed the village of Deir Yassin and murdered over a hundred women, children, and old men....

The impact of the mideast conflict being what it is here, yesterday was recognized as a day of sorrow in Jordan.

Quite a few big historic events today
t.gif
t.gif
1606: The combined English-Scottish 'Union Jack' is created by royal decree, originally for use at sea only.

t.gif
1861: The first shots of the American Civil War are fired as the Confederates take Fort Sumter, South Carolina.

t.gif
1961: Soviet cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin becomes the first man in space, aboard the spacecraft Vostok 1.

i believe the first shot of the civil war was known as the shot heard around the world because both sides claimed that they didn't shoot first

In American history Ali, it refers to the opening of the war against us (UK), the war of Independence, rather than the Civil War.
I think more generally, globally, it refers to the assassination of the Archduke Franz Ferdinand by a Serbian revolutionary, which started a chain of declarations of war by the European nations as a result of their declared alliances, which, like a line of toppled dominoes, led to World War 1 and the death of a large proportion of the youth of the early 20th century.

I didn't know the shot of the assassination of the archduke was also called "the shot heard around the world.."

Then again, I have the American education system to thank for my up-bringing in the field of history... :wink:

ironic the civil war started and ended within days of each other
did anyone ever read the book across four Aprils
we read it in school its about the civil war if i recall correctly

Yeah the Civil War stuff would only be required reading in the USA. Even then it was not required reading in my school either.

t.gif
1775: The American War of Independence begins with the Battles of Lexington and Concord. The British win both.

t.gif
1949: The Republic of Ireland comes into being, but the six counties of Northern Ireland remain part of Britain.

t.gif
1986: South Africa repeals the 'pass laws' restricting the movements of non-whites, enforced since 1948.

April 20th in History

1812:
George Clinton is the first vice president of the United States to die in office.
trans.gif

1841: Edgar Allan Poe's "The Murders in the Rue Morgue," considered the first detective story, is published in Philadelphia.
trans.gif

1902: Marie and Pierre Curie isolate the radioactive element radium.
trans.gif

1968: Pierre Elliot Trudeau is sworn in as Canada's new prime minister.

t.gif
1770: British navigator and explorer Captain James Cook becomes the first European to discover Australia.

t.gif
1945: As Adolf Hitler celebrates his 56th birthday, the first Soviet artillery shells fall on Berlin.

Two teenage boys go on a shooting rampage in Columbine High school in Littleton, Colorado. One teacher and 12 students are killed. (1999)

i read somewhere that recycling laptops takes alot of money that they don't bother to do it in most places
either yesterday or today is or was national book day it is also the day that Shakespeare died
april24:
1981: IBM-PC introduced
1970: China becomes the 5th nation to launch a satellite into orbit
1953: British PM Winston Churchill knighted by the Queen
1800: Library of Congress established with $5,000 allocation
1961: General de Gaulle of France order a blockade of Algeria

Back