Can't boot recovery partition

The first time u posted directions u said to replace [c:] with my recovery partition letter which is E:
Yah, that is because I got confused with the MS wording the first time, but I figured things out, and I do believe the OSLoader entry needs to be pointed at the "system" partition, instead of the partition which contains the image.

ok that didnt work. when i click the ramdisk options this time i get an error saying that windows failed to start and asks me to insert windows disks.

info at the bottom says "the boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible" im assuming that means it cant find boot.wim on c:

Did you do:
Code:
bcdedit /set {yourrealGUID} device ramdisk=[c:]\sources\boot.wim,{ramdiskoptions}[FONT=monospace]
[/FONT]bcdedit /set {myrealGUID} osdevice ramdisk=[c:]\sources\boot.wim,{ramdiskoptions}
?

I don't know...maybe I was right the first time, and it should be pointed at the partition containing the image. Its just weird the article only mentioned pointing the ramdiskoptions entry at the drive letter of the partition containing the image (not the OSLoader entry).

EDIT: No, I'm pretty sure I'm right this time, and it is the ramdiskoptions that points at the partition that contains the image, and the OSLoader entry points at the ramdiskoptions, and sets the ramdisk to /sources/boot.wim.

Last edited:
Also im not sure if this means anything but originally when i could choose the recovery win windows boot manager it was listed as "Windows Setup [EMS ENABLED]"

Addendum:

yes i did do

bcdedit /set {yourrealGUID} device ramdisk=[c:]\sources\boot.wim,{ramdiskoptions}
bcdedit /set {myrealGUID} osdevice ramdisk=[c:]\sources\boot.wim,{ramdiskoptions}

Honestly the first time i did it with E: and booted i t looked like it worked until it bluescreened. I got the first windows installing files in black white page and then when the real windows page came up with the green bar thats when it blue screened saying it couldn't mount

Last edited:
i checked the time stamps on boot.wim and it says the last time it was accessed was the day the laptop was purchased (about 2 weeks ago). Not sure how it would get corrupted, ive never touched any file on that partition, but I guess u never know.

Last edited:
Try:
Code:
bcdedit /ems {GUID} on
for the OSLoader entry.
Anyway, I'm sure this was probably not originally how you were getting to the recovery partition. Most likely it was a special MBR which the OEM installed that handled that (until you overwrote it with Grub).

Last edited:
sry im not exactly sure what you mean by "for the OSLoader entry"
did u mean to type this

bcdedit /ems {GUID} on "Recovery Partition" /application OSLOADER

Actually this was exactly how the recovery was accessed from the beginning. F9 brought up Windows boot manager and there were 2 options to pick. Windowsand Windows Setup [ems enabled]

Anyway is the above what you wanted me to enter?

No.

Just copy exactly my above command, and replace "GUID" with the GUID of the OSLoader entry (named "Recovery Partition"), which you can find out by doing:

bcdedit

Last edited:
ok i get the same thing as before but now the ramdisk options has the EMS enabled tag like the recovery option used to have. Im gonna try and change the C: back to E: like we had it now that ems is enabled and see if that works

Yeah, but that still requires running the command from the Windows desktop (on the computer with the problem), and rebooting to test the entry...

EDIT: Nevermind. Guess it wasn't as fast as it seemed. 9:39 (time of my post) - 9:43 (time of your post) is 4 minutes which is about right. :smile:

Last edited:
I don't know I guess im just fast. I changed it back to this:

bcdedit /set {yourrealGUID} device ramdisk=[e:]\sources\boot.wim,{ramdiskoptions}
bcdedit /set {myrealGUID} osdevice ramdisk=[e:]\sources\boot.wim,{ramdiskoptions}

from c: and i get the windows load files and then the windows page with the green slider that goes back and forth but i got a blue screen again.

Instead of the unmountable error I get BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO

... oh well

What happens again when you try it from C?

it says the windows startup failed. Then some basic stuff like either use install disks are contact your vendor. AT the bottom it said this:

info: the boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible

Also i noticed when looking at the overview in BCDedit i see this

Code:
Name:  Recovery Partition
BCD ID:  {8cb2d9b6-7c05-11de-842e-b4611d44fefa}
Drive: [E:]\sources\boot.wim
Bootloader Path:  \windows\system32\winload.exe
Windows Directory:  \windows

but there is no directory on the recovery partition called windows.

Addendum:

yes it did the same thing with EMS enabled

Last edited:
Yeah, don't worry about that. I think the /windows directory is supposed to be inside the boot.wim image. If you can find some way to mount it and look inside, you can verify if that directory exists.

Yeah, don't worry about that. I think the /windows directory is supposed to be inside the boot.wim image. If you can find some way to mount it and look inside, you can verify if that directory exists.

ok. i switched it back to c: again just to double check and it is the same. just says windows failed to start. When I use e: it looks like its almost there. Before the bluescreen happens u can see the real windows loading up with the classic XP green bars that go back and forth.

Back