Can't boot recovery partition

Mount and Modify an Image

Once you mount it, and look inside, you should also look for /boot/boot.sdi.
Let's find out if that even exists in there, either.

Addendum:

ok. i switched it back to c: again just to double check and it is the same. just says windows failed to start. When I use e: it looks like its almost there. Before the bluescreen happens u can see the real windows loading up with the classic XP green bars that go back and forth.
Yeah, its probably E then.
Honestly, that's what I originally thought, until re-reading the line "To create an entry to boot a Windows Imaging Format (WIM) image, you will need to create an OSloader type entry with RAMDISK options pointing to the boot partition.", after which I assumed the writer of the article knew what he was talking about, and you were supposed to point the OSloader entry at the partition containing the boot files. :brows:

Last edited:
Mount and Modify an Image

Once you mount it, and look inside, you should also look for /boot/boot.sdi.
Let's find out if that even exists in there, either.

ok i will try this. ImageX is already on the recovery partition so i just have to install Windows OP. Also boot.sdi is in the main directory of the recovery partition along with imageX.
There is also a 1mb image file K60IN.bin in the main directory. the model of the laptop is K60IN.
i can post a pic of the whole directory if that helps. I will mount and look in the boot image now

ok i will try this. ImageX is already on the recovery partition so i just have to install Windows OP. Also boot.sdi is in the main directory of the recovery partition along with imageX.
Ahh...well, guess you found that then. Yeah, just read up on that file, and its the ramdisk which the recovery partition apparently uses. Its a virtual disk volume that is created in RAM to hold the "boot image" (which I guess is probably "boot.wim").

Addendum:

Instead of the unmountable error I get BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO
That could be a problem with a system file inside the boot.wim itself. Once you get it mounted, yeah go ahead, and post a screenshot of the contents of the root directory (along with the root directory of the partition as well) if you want. I'd like to take a look at it. Maybe there's some kind of config file which is mis-configured, and pointing at the wrong place.

Addendum:

Also boot.sdi is in the main directory of the recovery partition along with imageX.
WAIT! Hold on...
You say its in the main directory? not in a folder called "boot"?
If that's the case, then the other command should have been run like this:

Code:
bcdedit /set {ramdiskoptions} ramdisksdipath \boot.sdi

Last edited:
im having a bit of trouble downloading the the windows opktools. I used the link on the microsft site and it makes me login with my Live ID at oem.microsft and then forwards me an error page saying that the page isnt redirecting properly. : / . I will see if i can find it anywhere else. here the screenshot in the meantime.

recovery.jpg

Addendum:

ok i will try

bcdedit /set {ramdiskoptions} ramdisksdipath \boot.sdibrb

Last edited:
(Could you post the contents of the "wimscript" file? Just in case the below fails...)

Run this command, then try the entry again (and make sure its still pointed at E, not C):
Code:
bcdedit /set {ramdiskoptions} ramdisksdipath \boot.sdi
Now I'm going to bed for the night. :smile:

OK I switched it but it still blue screens in the same spot after windows start loading with the same error BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO. I will try and mount that image and take a peek inside and see whats up. Have yourself a great sleep, you deserve it!!! Thanks so much again for all your help!

Here the contest of wimscript.ini from the recovery partition

Code:
[ExclusionList]
\ntfs.log
\hiberfil.sys
\pagefile.sys
"\System Volume Information"
\RECYCLER
\$Recycle.Bin
\Windows\CSC
\WINTEST

[CompressionExclusionList]
*.mp3
*.zip
*.cab
\WINDOWS\inf\*.pnf

Ok, I don't think that file has anything to do with the recovery partition not booting.

Mind changing it back to C: and trying it again now that the ramdisksdioptions path is correct, though? :brows:

Last edited:
Figures. :smile:
Well its obviously some file in the recovery partition itself (probably inside the "boot.wim" image) that's either mis-configured or corrupted, and that's why it can't boot. Otherwise, I'd imagine the recovery partition would work perfectly fine (with the entry pointed at E, that is).

OK Coolname007, I have a little bit more info. First off, I made a mistake. I had reinstalled Windows on the laptop from the recovery dvd yesterday morning before i went to bed. So last night after we worked on this I realized I had not yet edited my folder options, so system folders were still hidden! doh! :shame:. So you were right that there IS a folder called boot on the recovery partition!

In bcdedit I pointed back to \boot\boot.sdi but it still gives the same error. Here is a snapshot:

recoverya.jpg

Also in the boot folder were the only files on the partition that have been modified recently probably on the day when this got all screwed up.

bootzs.jpg

I looked at the recovery DVD and its looks pretty similar to the partition so if I need to copy over any replace any files that's no problem.

I was also able to mount the boot.wim. So the actual image seems to be fine and not corrupt. Heres is a screenshot:

bootwim.jpg

I did some reading after we talked and you are right, after everything we have done it SHOULD work. I tried a few things that had no effect so if you have any suggestions I'm all ears! :wink:

Is that all the files that are in the boot.wim (in the root)?
Did you check /Windows/system32 just to verify that the winload.exe is indeed there?

Could you post a screenshot of the Program Files folder in the boot.wim?

Last edited:
yes that is the full root of boot.wim, also winload.exe is in fact there in /windows/system32

Addendum:

Well there is only 2 folders in program files

Common Files and Internet Explorer

Last edited:
What does the inside of the Windows folder look like? Is there a lot of files in there, like there is with a normal OS installation?
Could you post a screenshot of the contents of Windows/System32?

Yes the windows dir is fairly full:

windowsqi.jpg

System 32 is really full. Here is 2 pictures to show the directories and few files. The rest is hundreds of dll files:

system321.jpg

system322.jpg

looks like a full install to me! Also I need to step out for about 20-30 min but I will be right back to try any suggestions you have!

Could you cut/paste the file "bfsvc.exe" from the Windows folder in the boot.wim image to somewhere else, and then download a new one from this link, placing it in the same place?
And while you're at it, do the same thing with "fveupdate.exe" from this link.

Just in case they're corrupted...

Addendum:

Also, please post the contents of the system.ini, and the win.ini.

Addendum:

(Obviously I'm grasping at straws here, but you never know...I might be able to find something wrong with some file)

Last edited:
OK I will try that now

Addendum:

here is win.ini

Code:
; for 16-bit app support
[fonts]
[extensions]
[mci extensions]
[files]
[Mail]
MAPI=1

and here is system.ini

Code:
; for 16-bit app support
[386Enh]
woafont=dosapp.fon
EGA80WOA.FON=EGA80WOA.FON
EGA40WOA.FON=EGA40WOA.FON
CGA80WOA.FON=CGA80WOA.FON
CGA40WOA.FON=CGA40WOA.FON

[drivers]
wave=mmdrv.dll
timer=timer.drv

[mci]

I will have to look for bfsvc.exe and fveupdate.exe somewhere else. the link to download bfsvc at the site u posted points to picasaweb_setuo.exe and the there is no link to download fveupdate.exe there. Im sure i can find them somewhere.

Last edited:
I will have to look for bfsvc.exe and fveupdate.exe somewhere else. the link to download bfsvc at the site u posted points to picasaweb_setuo.exe and the there is no link to download fveupdate.exe there. Im sure i can find them somewhere.
Sorry about that. Something to do with the site's code (maybe it changes files per session or something? i don't know).
Anyway, here is the original links (where you can then click Download, and it'll take you to a new page):

bfsvc.exe: bfsvc.exe File information - Microsoft Operating System 6.0.6000.16386 by Microsoft Corporation
fveupdate.exe: fveupdate.exe File information - Microsoft Operating System 6.0.6000.16386 by Microsoft Corporation

lol those links don't work either, when i click on them they just forward me to the links you posted previously. I can just mount the boot.wim from the recovery dvd and get them from there i guess.

Ok, nothing very important in either of those 2 files.
What I'm wondering is which executable file is the program run when booting the recovery partition.

Could you open up the BCD in the /boot folder in the recovery partition, and see if it contains any entries? Maybe that will give a clue.

Addendum:

lol those links don't work either, when i click on them they just forward me to the links you posted previously. I can just mount the boot.wim from the recovery dvd and get them from there i guess.
Not for me it doesn't...:wtf:
I clicked those links myself, and it takes me to a page giving the information for the files, then you can scroll down the page, and click the Download file_name button. The download button then takes you to a page where you can download the file using the links provided.

Last edited:
Back