Change Vista's 'System' partition / move BCD boot manager?

Success: Changed bios boot sequence with raid

I didn't understand the solution initally. hours later, i figured it out. make sure raid is first disk in bios, then did bcdeasy, then booted in recovery, ran diskpart, deleted old partition and put drive offline. rebooted into new drive! thanks!!!!

Hey all, Perpetual N00b back for the annual visit. This time my mainboard is failing little by little with an ever-increasing quantity of BSODs, so I need to replace it. Of course, finding an AMD motherboard with an NVidia RAID controller is not so easy these days and so all that effort I spent to create the RAID in the first place is now wasted (other than as a learning experience). The RAID contains three partitions - Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit and a Data drive.

I have a spare 500GB hard drive that will hold the Vista and Data drives comfortably, so I figured that it should be easy enough to use Easeus Partition Master to move them onto the spare 500 GB drive. Unfortunately, I'm back to where I was with the OldSys/NewSys drives in that I cannot boot without the RAID attached and that means that I can't move to the new mobo.

There was a problem in that the device drivers for the spare drive ended up with NVidia drivers causing crashes partway through boot, but even though I changed those back to the standard Microsoft ones, booting with the Vista DVD still recognises no Windows installations.

I'm pretty sure that the problem lies in the fact that the RAID Vista drive is still listed as System, even though the pic is taken while booting from the non-RAID Vista drive.

Here's the View Settings list from EasyBCD 2.02 in detailed mode:

Code:
Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier              {9dea862c-5cdd-4e70-acc1-f32b344d4795}
device                  boot
description             Windows Boot Manager
locale                  en-us
inherit                 {7ea2e1ac-2e61-4728-aaa3-896d9d0a9f0e}
default                 {36a20345-ec0d-11df-bef5-0013eff143d7}
resumeobject            {36a20344-ec0d-11df-bef5-0013eff143d7}
displayorder            {36a20346-ec0d-11df-bef5-0013eff143d7}
                        {36a20345-ec0d-11df-bef5-0013eff143d7}
                        {6772ff20-ebf7-11df-a0d8-001d92447c01}
toolsdisplayorder       {b2721d73-1db4-4c62-bf78-c548a880142d}
timeout                 3
resume                  No
displaybootmenu         Yes

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier              {36a20346-ec0d-11df-bef5-0013eff143d7}
device                  partition=G:
path                    \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description             Vista (non-RAID)
locale                  en-US
osdevice                partition=G:
systemroot              \Windows
resumeobject            {1a3e677a-4924-11e0-bace-806e6f6e6963}

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier              {36a20345-ec0d-11df-bef5-0013eff143d7}
device                  partition=C:
description             Windows Vista
inherit                 {6efb52bf-1766-41db-a6b3-0ee5eff72bd7}
osdevice                partition=C:
resumeobject            {36a20344-ec0d-11df-bef5-0013eff143d7}
nx                      OptIn
detecthal               Yes

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier              {6772ff20-ebf7-11df-a0d8-001d92447c01}
device                  partition=D:
description             Windows 7 64-bit
inherit                 {6efb52bf-1766-41db-a6b3-0ee5eff72bd7}
osdevice                partition=D:
resumeobject            {6772ff1f-ebf7-11df-a0d8-001d92447c01}
nx                      OptIn
detecthal               Yes

Sorry for seemingly not having learned anything at all from the previous times and throwing myself at you again... :shame:

B

Attachments

• Disk_Management.png
    Disk_Management.png
    92 KB · Views: 6
EasyBCD 2 > BCD Backup/Repair > Change Boot Drive
Point it at G when prompted
Change the BIOS to put the 500Gb HDD top of the HDD boot sequence.
Reboot, and G should be "system" "active" and "boot", and you can remove the other HDD.

I should boot off the RAID Vista drive to run EasyBCD? I'm sure I've done this but I'll give it another go if the machine can stay up for long enough... :S

Thanks again, in advance,

B

Addendum:

Okay done that but I get "A disk error occurred. Ctrl Alt Del to reboot." So I do with my Vista install disk and it finds no Windows installations (this is still with the RAID in). I put in the USB key with the NForce drivers and now I'm getting BSODs of PFN_list_corrupt and bad_system_config_info.

B

Addendum:

Okay, trying something new now. Removed the SATA signal cables from the RAID and booted with the plain Vista disk but it tells me no Windows installations can be found so I still need to load the NForce SATA RAID drivers to see the three possible boots that are in the BCD. I choose the Vista no-RAID partition and go through Startup Repair and of course Windows doesn't find a problem - this despite the fact that I can't boot the drive and that it's not found by the startup repair system, etc. I'm sure that the main problem lies with the fact that I still need to use the RAID drivers to find the Windows installations! It also means there's no way I can successfully move to the new mobo without getting rid of the dependence on them. The driver for the disk is back to being the standard Microsoft one AFAICT but still I need those drivers to see the partition, even without the RAID attached. I'm beginning to think it would be quicker to just reinstall and I may end up doing just that. All my files are backed up, it's just having to reinstall everything I'm not looking forward to. :frowning:

B

Addendum:

Right, next chapter. Reattached SATA signal cables and booted, this time got the boot menu and choose the non-RAID Vista, boots fine. Check Device Manager and still the RAID Vista is listed as System even though the Non-RAID has Boot. Getting closer to thinking I can take advantage of the fact that I still have the RAID Vista to refer to to just use the non-RAID Vista to install Windows 7 64-bit and forget about trying to make things work, it would probably take less time overall...

B

Last edited:
Back