Computer Gaming

I got Settlers (6) and the expansion for it last night, its pretty kool RTS

and this Friday is another LAN Party ^_^ YAY

FILESHARING TO THE MAX! lol

yep yep ^_^

its pretty kool, in the tutorial i had gathered too much resources so i couldnt get any further (in quest mode you must complete certain things before continuing)

story mode/quest mode is alright but i like the more open settlers mode, i can do whatever i want lol

ill get some screen shots of it today

thats kind of like my favourite online game runescape i tried to excell in the tutorial becasue everythign was so close and easy but i couldn;t gain more than 3 lvls

ATM I have 2 PCs, one is a business tower, which my boss was given and gave to me because of some advertising we did for a retailer. I also have a general PC, which I use for gaming, but it's pretty rickety.

Business tower:
Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 @ 2.13 GHz
HP 0A60h Motherboard
4GB DDR2 (32-bit can only use 3.5GB of it :frowning:)
500GB SATA HDD
DVD+/-RW drive with Lightscribe (No idea what make, never looked)
Lots of USB ports, media card slots, etc
Running Vista Business + Windows XP Pro
NO video/graphics card -- done onboard -- it's a business PC, after all. Do you think I should invest in one? Which?

My gaming/standard/old PC:
Intel Pentium 4 @ 2.66GHz
1GB DDR RAM
ASUS P4V8X-MX motherboard
Toshiba DVD writer drive (pulled from an external USB writer -- very crafty :wink:)
Philips CD-RW drive
120GB IDE HDD
64Mb Geforce MX440SE graphics/video card (CRAP)
Running XP Pro + Ubuntu 7.04
The fan makes funny noises when it boots, like a whirly growling. It stops soon after an OS boots, or when I give it a little bash... Not sure why it does it, it just suddenly started one day.

So, I don't do any gaming on the big PC, because I dont have a GFX card, but perhaps I should get one.
I play games like Combat Evolved, Call of Duty and Half Life 2 on the older PC, it wont take much more, even after I clock up the GFX card.

Here are the specs of my (hopefully) up-and-coming PC, I just need to shop around a bit, and models may vary:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
Gigabyte S Series Motherboard
4 GB DDR2 RAM (Maybe overclock to 1066MHz)
500GB HDD w/ 32MB Cache and 12,000 RPM
GeForce 8600 GT Super + Geforce 7150 GFX (dual!)
Blu ray drive
ETC

Yup - that should run minesweeper just fine :smile:. That is my ideal next PC, I might end up toning it down if I come to my senses.

^ pretty kool

GeForce 8600 GT Super + Geforce 7150 GFX (dual!)

when you say dual? you mean linked? or just two different cards, becuase the gfx cards have to be exactly the same to be SLi'd

Also, unless you really think you will be using the Blue ray extensively, i dont think you shoudl buy it, you could afford two 8800s for the price of the blue-ray(including the first on the price of the graphics cards)

and then with two 8800's you could in theory use 6 monitors. (four on DVI, two on S-video)

PJ, the noises on your 2nd PC are probably a worn sleeve bearing on the power supply fan.
Ignore the do not open warnings, unscrew the fixings, cut the wires to the fan motor, and slip in a £2 replacement ball-bearing fan with a grub-screw connector, and you'll have a silent machine again.
My old system had the same symptoms which gradually got worse and eventually wouldn't respond to the thumping. The fix was cheap and took 10 minutes.
You can verify that the fan is the source of the noise by shoving a cocktail stick or something like that through the fan grill as you boot the machine, and seeing if it stops the noise as you touch the fan. (Don't worry, nothing's going to overheat that early in the boot and the fan will only be stopped for a second or two.)

Last edited:
when you say dual? you mean linked? or just two different cards, becuase the gfx cards have to be exactly the same to be SLi'd

Also, unless you really think you will be using the Blue ray extensively, i dont think you shoudl buy it, you could afford two 8800s for the price of the blue-ray(including the first on the price of the graphics cards)

and then with two 8800's you could in theory use 6 monitors. (four on DVI, two on S-video)

Hmm, well that dual-cards were recommended by a friend, and you're probably right about the Blu-Ray.. I have a PS3 for playing movies anyways. BTW, what is SLI? I see it plastered everywhere.
I don't think I'd ever need more than 2 monitors -- what would I use them for?

@Terry
Thanks for the advice -- I'll see if I can get hold of a ball-bearing fan.

Hmm, well that dual-cards were recommended by a friend, and you're probably right about the Blu-Ray.. I have a PS3 for playing movies anyways. BTW, what is SLI? I see it plastered everywhere.
I don't think I'd ever need more than 2 monitors -- what would I use them for?

well SLi is Scalable Link Interface. It its Nvidia's technology of connecting two of the exact same gfx cards to boost performence. ATi's is called cross-fire.

If your friend referred you to two different cards, that seem strange, you should at least get exact same cards to put them together on SLi or Cross-fire.

also i cant find that card you mentioned. the Geforce 7150 GFX, the only dual-GPU 7 series is the 7950 GX.

As for that card, it has very mixed reveiws and wasnt the best. your better off going with two 8800's or one 9800 GX2

the most expensive 9800 GX2 that i could find is: EVGA GeForce 9800 GX2 Video Card - SSC Edition, 1GB GDDR3, PCI Express 2.0, SLI Ready, (Dual Link) Dual DVI, HDMI 01G-P3-N897-AR at TigerDirect.com

while the most expesive 8800 is:
Newegg.com - EVGA 768-P2-N882-AR GeForce 8800Ultra 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

i suggest just getting two 8800's if you want enough power to last you a couple years.

as for two monitors. Productivity, Productivity, Productivity, Productivity! lol its increased with more the one greatly for everything ^_^

^ portal is an AWESOME AMAZING GAME! lol

i loved it, great game, i just hope the rumors of the second game not telling you how to do anything are true. (or atleast an option of turning off the tutorial) So that would mean, you would have had to play the first one to know how to do anything :wink:

i think that would be a pretty kool thing to do, seeing as the whole portal game is a massive tutorial.

ive been playing MGS (metal gear solid) i bought the trilogy the other day ^_^ makes me happy, i im playing through the VR missions first :tongueout:

also i ever get to it, i need to install Dark Crusade on mt brothers machine too, so we can play lan together :smile:

I just bought S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and should have that in a couple of days. :smile:

It's a good game, a friend of mine is crazy about it. I tried it, it doesn't work well with my graphic card. Now I have more RAM, maybe now it would work, but I'm too lazy to install it, I don't get a chance to play games anyways. I'm playing Prey, and its awesome game, you should get it if you're fan of ID's engine (ID Tech 4) or FPS's or sci-fi/space.

I was looking at ID's presentation of ID Tech 5 lately, OMG Its so freaking cool! :S Tools and features are just... amazing. They bring great power to artist's hands. The thing I love the most is that you can add and add more and it doesn't affects the performance. Hm... my first thought is that, we'll play games done in it in next 3 years or even 5. So we could maybe get faster PC's by then :grinning:

They said Doom 4 is on it's way, they are hiring people, artists and whatnot to make it. It'll be done in new fancy engine and I can't wait! :evil:

Random: I want my blog back! :frowning:

Last edited:
Back