[Download] Vista Hide 'n Seek BETA

CG, I tried build 42, but this time the program closes immediately when I click
the "hide my drives" button, so no screenshot. Here is the log file but I think is not significant.

Attachments

• Vista HnS.log.txt
    127 bytes · Views: 3
whoops, my bad.

I left an Exit() command in there from testing. I've re-uploaded build 42, sorry for the confusion.

DL: The NeoSmart Forums

Addendum:

omg, nvm.

I just figured out the problem. It's rather simple, and stupid too.

Drive Grabber explains the problem:
"Disco #0, Partizione #1"
vs.
"Disk #0, Partition #1"

<stupid>I'm checking for the latter, not taking into account discrepencies caused by differences in the languages.</stupid>

Give me 10 minutes or so.

Last edited:
CG, it worked this time. Now, after a prayer, I will reboot.
I hope I will be able to access my system again! I will let You know ... if I can.

CG, OK it worked ! The only problem is that whatever XP installation I select in the GRUB4DOS it boots the one in disk D: (hd0,0). I attached the menu.lst file. Tomorrow I will also investigate. Now I go to bed: in Italy it is 1.05 am. Thank You for Your help and goodnight.

Attachments

• menu.lst.txt
    490 bytes · Views: 5
CG, find them attached. The only XP I can boot in is the one on D:. I think that the problem could be the partition # in boot.ini on disk F:; according to drivegrabber should be #4 not #5, but then why does it boot the XP on partition #1: I am confused!
I also have a WIN 2000 installation on disk E: (disk #2, partition #0), how should I modify the menu.lst file for it to appear in the boot menu and I can boot in to it?
PS: sorry for my english.:grinning:

Attachments

• Vista HnS.log.txt
    1,016 bytes · Views: 4
  • boot.ini_(D).txt
    207 bytes · Views: 5
  • boot.ini_(F).txt
    207 bytes · Views: 5
Don't worry about your English, it's great!

Windows 2000 partitions should be marked as "XP" in Vista HnS, that would do the trick.

Try changing your menu.lst to this and tell me if the F: entry works now:

Code:
# NeoSmart Technologies' Vista Hide 'n Seek Beta
# DO NOT MODIFY!!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

timeout 30
default 0

title Microsoft Windows Vista
unhide (hd0,2)
find --set-root /BOOTMGR.HNS
makeactive
chainloader /BOOTMGR.HNS
boot

title Windows XP [EUROPA (F:\)]
hide (hd0,2)
rootnoverify (hd0,4)
chainloader /ntldr
makeactive
boot

title Windows XP [GIOVE (D:\)]
hide (hd0,2)
set root (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader /ntldr
boot

# All your boot are belong to NeoSmart!

No but it's charming in a comedy oriental "Charlie Chan" sort of way.
Imagine Peter Sellars with pinned back skin round the eyes, and a long drooping moustache.
It works !

GRUB4DOS responds : "Error 13: Invalid device requested", after changing menu.lst.
And about Win 2000, how can I mark it as XP in HNS? If I run it again I understand that it will ask me to uninstall... or not?

Don't worry mittolo, "uninstall" is a bit of a misnomer in this case. It doesn't uninstall HnS (ie remove the software) It just undoes the boot changes to the system as if you'd never run it. Then you can run it again, with the disks marked up differently.

Now I have a problem. I ran UI.exe and I clicked on UNINSTALL but I got this error: IMPOSSIBLE TO CREATE A FILE IF THE FILE ALREADY EXISTS (translated from italian). Now I am scared to reboot. Which procedure can I follow to manually revert to the situation before HNS installation? Please help me.

Attachments

• Vista HnS.log.txt
    329 bytes · Views: 3
Post 129 lists the files to delete if you're having problems removing HnS. get rid of them then rerun it.

I didn't know that Mak - but my oriental pidgin english take on it was obviously spot-on.

:wink:

mittolo: once you've re-ran HnS, try this:

1) Create a file called XP.F.HnS on F:\ (just leave it blank)
2) Use this updated menu.lst:
Code:
# NeoSmart Technologies' Vista Hide 'n Seek Beta
# DO NOT MODIFY!!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

timeout 30
default 0

title Microsoft Windows Vista
unhide (hd0,2)
find --set-root /BOOTMGR.HNS
makeactive
chainloader /BOOTMGR.HNS
boot

title Windows XP [EUROPA (F:\)]
hide (hd0,2)
find --set-root /XP.F.HnS
makeactive
chainloader /ntldr
boot

title Windows XP [GIOVE (D:\)]
hide (hd0,2)
set root (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader /ntldr
boot

# All your boot are belong to NeoSmart!

I'm trying to figure out why people are having a problem uninstalling HnS sometimes.

Addendum:

Now I have a problem. I ran UI.exe and I clicked on UNINSTALL but I got this error: IMPOSSIBLE TO CREATE A FILE IF THE FILE ALREADY EXISTS (translated from italian). Now I am scared to reboot. Which procedure can I follow to manually revert to the situation before HNS installation? Please help me.
btw, where do you see this error?

Last edited:
Back