[Download] Vista Hide 'n Seek BETA

Did you run HnS after deleting all the 129 stuff ? It creates the boot.ini, that's why you had to remove the other one first. Of course XP won't boot without one, but HnS should have put the correct new one in for you.
Don't know why the notification didn't work, have to leave that for Guru or Mak to sort out with their moderator skills.

Yes I did and it did not create any Boot.ini files.

Something CG should work on although he seems to be less interested in this as it drags on and on...

Still wasn't notified of your reply!

Just chance that I thought to look if anyone had responded.

Please check your junk mail folder; I just ran the email test suite and it returned no errors on our end.

Boot.ini should always be created w/ HnS.... There aren't any conditionals regarding its creation on the disk.

The only requirement is that you have selected one or more drives as "Windows XP" entries on the initial screen.

On this occassion ONLY I DID receive an e-mail notification. Your test must have fixed whatever was wrong as I had already checked the SPAM filter on my ISP.

As regards the Boot.ini I followed your instructions (#129) to the letter and NO boot.ini file was created by HNS. And YES I had selected 1 x XP & 1 x Vista.

Cheers

Dave T

Hi.

When I try to install HNS on vista I get the attached error at stage 0/4and I can close the installation window only through task manager.
Any solution?
Thanks.

Attachments

• errore hns.txt
    4 KB · Views: 7
  • Immagine.jpg
    Immagine.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 13
Hi mittolo, welcome to NST.

Can you please provide us with a screenshot of the first page (with your selections of XP and Vista drives made clear).

Hi Computer Guru.

Thank You for the very fast response and for Your help. Here is attached what You asked.
Ah... is there any final version of HNS?
Ciao.

Attachments

• VISTAHNS.jpg
    VISTAHNS.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 10
Not anywhere on the near horizon, at least not with all these errors.

None of the screenshots above really tell me much, I think I need to add a logging option to HnS detailing exactly what's happening at each and every point up to the failure.

<sigh>

Maybe I can do that today..........

Ok, thank You very much. I will wait with confidence!:happy:
I attach also the result of drivegrabber, in case it can help.

Attachments

• dischi.jpg
    dischi.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 9
Maybe the partition G: should be " Type: Installable file system "; but since it is logical and not primary maybe it is correct....I don't know. I attach the output of Acronis Disk Director.
Can You check please?. I don't have experience with Drive Grabber.

Attachments

• dischi1.jpg
    dischi1.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 12
New build 40 now integrates bootsect.exe updates and logging functionality.

mittolo, please run it and post "Vista HnS.log" from the directory you extracted it to.

Addendum:

Updated to build 41 with changes to the way HnS creates XP entries in menu.lst. No changes to boot.ini code ATM.

Download: The NeoSmart Forums

Last edited:
Happy to report CG that all is now fine with HnS on my system again.
I don't know what was on build 39 (I seem to have missed that one) but whatever has changed as regards indentifying rdisk number which seemed to regress 38 back to 35 or 36 post SP1, has now unregressed it back to a proper working state.
The menu.lst is identical bar the new order changes in the XP boot commands, and both systems boot perfectly.
No issues at all, so I haven't bothered posting the log, but I can if you still want to see it for any reason.

omg, Terry, you've just made my day!

All the bugs in the world left in the program I can deal with, just so long as I don't have mind-read the BIOS drive numbers again!

Computer Guru, I ran UI.exe (v. 41) and Igot the same error as per my first post.
I didn't understand if I have to run bootsect.exe ???:frowning:

Attachments

• Vista HnS.log.txt
    389 bytes · Views: 8
Just FYI, Guru, build 41 sorted out all my problems! Nice work.
All I'm waiting for now is iReboot support, and according to the issue tracker, a prettier interface :grinning:

One question -- when hide is called, does it remain hidden right up until unhide is called? (i.e. If I was to reboot, the partition would still be hidden until I selected Vista, or called unhide)?

pj, thanks for the confirmation and your testing of previous builds. As for a hidden partition: It'll remain hidden. That's why the Vista entries have an unhide notation associated with them.

mittolo: I'm not sure why this happening, let me look into it some more.

Addendum:

mittolo: Can I see a screenshot of HnS itself when this error appears?

Addendum:

Build 42 with even more extensive logging. I'd appreciate if you could do your testing and screenshots w/ this build, mittolo - and post the new log file.

DL: The NeoSmart Forums

(NB: I don't expect it to work, just hopefully it'll tell us where things are going wrong)

Last edited:
Back