[Download] Vista Hide 'n Seek BETA

Read the reply in your other thread. Try to keep to one thread or everybody gets confused.
You don't need a shortcut.

We monitor all the threads in all the forums with the "new posts" button, so you won't get missed wherever you post, but it is a lot more difficult to follow advice if you have to jump back and forth.

You can run HnS by browsing like you did to the folder where the files were unpacked to or simply right on ui.exe and choose the create shortcut option to see that dragged onto the desktop. You can even rename that to something Build 61 being that version.

When first going to use it following the selection of the XP, Vista partitions/drives in order to see Vista hidden HnS will automatically see EasyBCD 1.7.2 downloaded at that time in order to see the XP entry made in the Vista loader. That also sees the option for restoring the Vista mbr.

The most likely and most common problem seeing XP or Vista load up at first is not having copied the necessary boot files from the XP root over to the Vista primary. Once you have the ntldr, ntdetect.com, and boot.ini files(essential) copied over you have to edit the boot.ini file itself to change the "rdisk(0)partition(1)" generally seen when XP is the only OS on the first primary partition to point to where it is now.

If XP is on a second hard drive like seen here it would then be "default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS". Notice the change on the rdisk item there from above. That will be in the default OS line while the HnS will change the lower with the multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Vista Hide 'n Seek: Windows XP" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect" seen under "operating systems".

For removal once the Vista mbr and boot information is restored simply delete the folder that the HnS files were unpacked into and use the uninstall option for EasyBCD seen in the Start>programs folder there. But the problem you saw booting was from not first seeing the boot files copied over and the edit of the boot.ini(copy on Vista primary only) seeing the needed edit.

For a second primary on the same the rdisk item would remain at (0) while then the partition item would see "rdisk(0)partition(2)" as simple as that simply allowing the save option as all files to overwrite the copy. XP should load right up. The Vista installation dvd sees a section for repair tools with an automatic startup repair option there.

MORE TO ADD: The information seen here is the full amount of detail for the unhandled exception error seen when trying to use any of the HnS options besides the add new entries which then opens up EasyBCD. I didn't see any option for uploading a copy+paste to a text file like NotePad.

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file 'C:\menu.lst'.
File name: 'C:\menu.lst'
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options)
at System.IO.StreamReader..ctor(String path, Encoding encoding, Boolean detectEncodingFromByteOrderMarks, Int32 bufferSize)
at System.IO.StreamReader..ctor(String path, Encoding encoding)
at System.IO.File.ReadAllText(String path, Encoding encoding)
at System.IO.File.ReadAllText(String path)
at NeoSmart.Vista_HnS.Core.Menu..ctor(Char bootDrive)
at NeoSmart.Vista_HnS.UI.Timeout..ctor(Char bootDrive)
at NeoSmart.Vista_HnS.UI.MoreOptions.btnDo_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.1434 (REDBITS.050727-1400)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
UI
Assembly Version: 0.5.0.61
Win32 Version: 0.5.0.61
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINVISTA/HIDE'N'SEEK/BUILD%2061/UI.exe
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
Vista HnS
Assembly Version: 0.5.0.61
Win32 Version: 0.5.0.61
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINVISTA/HIDE'N'SEEK/BUILD%2061/Vista%20HnS.DLL
System.Configuration
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.Management
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Management/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Management.dll
Accessibility
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Last edited:
It's detailed alright! :brows: I was hoping CG could make some sense out of this one since a fresh copy of build #61 still runs into the exact same thing without explaination following a clean install of Vista. XP was sucessfully added right in with EasyBCD but HnS simply won't open other then the add/remove entries option used initially to see 1.7.2 download and install.

(I must be going bald due to all of that hair pulling trying to figure this one out lately! :tongueout: )

bump and Update: The one item I forgot to include earlier was the lack of seeing the menu.lst file. For some reason that is not being created despite repeat efforts with #61. The add/remove entries option simply sees EasyBCD downloaded and installed with the others seeing the error information posted earlier likely due to the lack of that file not being generated. I will be trying the older builds in the meantime to see if the same problem is seen.

The HnS tool was a great idea there. Unfortunately here I'm trying to find out why I can't get it going again after the Vista side of things was reinstalled fresh all over again lately.

I went back as far as #58 and still only can work with the add/remove XP entries option that then turns everything over to EasyBCD.

The problem being seen here CG is no menu.lst is being created apparently. As soon as I click the add/remove entries for XP that automatically downloads 1.7.2 if not already installed.

When choosing any other option the fatal exception error posted earlier comes right up regardless of which build I pick from #58 to #61. A few fresh downloads as well as what I had running before haven't seen any results at seeing the file generated.

This one is an odd one since HnS other then the floppy drive search problem we discussed earlier has always gone right on and worked well following any reinstall of XP or Vista. Now it's like it had some type of time limit and you passed the trial date as you would expect to see with a shareware version of some other program.

The information seen above is what is seen in the details windows when the error popup screen appears. I pasted that here for you to look over and maybe figure out why this is being seen as well as not seeing any menu.lst file at the root of the drive.

UPDATE:

Upon conducting an extended search of the drives here I found a copy I had originally saved of the menu.lst file at the root of the second storage partition on the Vista host. When copying it over HnS then worked normally. The question as to why a fresh copy with either of the builds doesn't see this created however is still the item remaining.

ANOTHER UPDATE:

Upon using the start over option and even when refreshing the drives shown the menu.lst file copied over to the Vista root disappears. The current configuration seen in EasyBCD remains intact while the file has to recopied again in order to open the other options without seeing the fatal exception error appear. The menu.lst file however was originally created long before ubuntu 8.10 was added in with NeoGrub.

That brings up one more question since HnS uses NeoGrub. Would installing NeoGrub into the VIsta mbr bring back the Grub boot screen with the new look?

Last edited:
I simply had to more or less backtrack to retrace the steps originally taken to realize that this form of Grub4Dos had originally been installed into the Vista mbr in order for HnS to work. The Grub loader then saw the menu.lst file placed at the root of the primary unlike the EasyBCD tool seeing that stored in the NST folder.

Someone else using NeoGrub in EasyBCD ran into almost an identical error.

I don't think HnS wants to go back on here for some reason.

Description:
Stopped working
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
Problem Signature 01: ui.exe
Problem Signature 02: 0.5.0.61
Problem Signature 03: 48ada1f9
Problem Signature 04: mscorlib
Problem Signature 05: 2.0.0.0
Problem Signature 06: 48d072ef
Problem Signature 07: 343f
Problem Signature 08: 26d
Problem Signature 09: System.IO.IOException
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Following a complete removal of HnS and 1.7.2 as well as seeing NeoGrub gone for the moment the latest attempt at getting HnS on again sees the information above in the MS check online/close program popup that appears with a new desktop shortcut.

The errors posted on this thread are easily solved. When first using the HnS tool you select the add new entries option to see EasyBCD downloaded and installed. Once the current version of EasyBCD(1.7.2) is finished installing you then proceed to the add/remove entries section and open the NeoGrub tab to see the NeoGrub version of Grub4Dos installed into the Vista mbr.

From there you won't run into any of the errors posted here for reference.

Latest build worked great. Did the install in Vista, selected the proper drives and that was it. Only other change I did was modifying the timeouts and default OS.

Great work!

Welcome to NST Cwartz.
Glad you like HnS.
It's been working nicely, completely stable for many months, and if they only knew it, is capable of automating the dual-boot of a new user from scratch, without all of the problems mentioned in the EasyBCD forum sticky
Drop by the "Water Cooler" and have a chat some time. We're so widespread, there's always someone about.

HnS working in Windows 7 beta with one solution tested. The first image here shows both the 7 and Vista primaries hidden while booted in XP using build #61.

On previous attempts the incompatible version error would come up until using the compatibility troubleshooter to end up seeing favorable results.

The details were seen in the next image here.

With the display time set to about 4 sesonds in the HnS tool the time shown in EasyBCD was simply lowered again to 0 seconds for the one time selection while booting. The 7 entry however is shown as Vista not 7. Presently Vista would have to be added into the HnS loader as a second Vista installation to see a working triple boot.

Hello,
I am dual booting Vista and XP on 2 HDD, Vista is on the C: and XP is on the D:, Vista was installed first. I have EasyBCD on the XP installation and I can boot to either OS. My question is should Hide 'n Seek be installed on Vista or XP? Thanks

system
Dell Dimension 9200
2GB ram
C: drive 80GB WD sata
D: drive 250 GB WD sata

Hi Blue, welcome to NST.
HnS must be run from Vista.
If you want to use EasyBCD , you'll need a copy on Vista too. (Once Vista is hidden, the copy on XP won't be able to see the BCD unless it happens to be on the XP disk in your case)
When HnS is controlling the boot it will chainload the Vista bootmgr when you select Vista from the boot menu. The Vista bootmgr will then display your current bootmgr menu (which will be redundant), so you'll want to set its timeout to 0 or delete the XP entry so that the second boot menu doesn't get shown. HnS will give you the ability to call EasyBCD to do this at the final tidying-up stage (where you can rename the entries, change the HnS timeout etc), so you'll want a copy available in Vista for that purpose.

Back