[Download] Vista Hide 'n Seek BETA

So what if I use IFW to make an image of the Partitions and I don't have BING but am using EasyBCD.... Am I screwed?
No, not at all. In this case, IFW functions just like any normal disk/partition imaging software. It'll let you image/restore any partition you have on any disk.
There will just be no EMBR to read from, only the standard MBR.
I don't mind paying for backup imaging software like Acronis (even though when I look into Acronis; seems as though more have questions than they do answers about it.) I just don't want to pay for something and then not have it work with EasyBCD because EasyBCD is what I have learned and also what I have already donated to....

I am down to these 3.
Acronis - The giant toolbox with some things that may even do more harm than good if not used properly. Advantageous in that is has features that allow you restore images on a different machine. Not sure about EASYBCD compatibility. Not sure about restoring images to partitions of different sizes either.

Macrum - Seems good but not sure about compatibility with EasyBCD - doesn't have a simple way to restore images onto different sized partitions.

IFW - Seems above average in that it allows you to restore images onto different sized partitions but Im concernted about getting roped into buying their BOOTIT software after I have another crash and have to start this whole miserable process of reinstallation again. Seems like the EMBR is something that is different from what EASYBCD has.

Can someone please do an editorial on this post?
You're right. First of all, EasyBCD is NOT a boot manager, but BootIT is. EasyBCD is only a tool for manipulating the Vista/7 BCD, and use it to boot other systems on the same computer. 3rd party boot managers such as BootIT install their own bootloader to the MBR, so it is what is in control of the boot process (NOT Windows), which is much better in my opinion. The EMBR is an extended master boot record that can hold up to 255 primary partition entries, though you obviously wont need as many as that. It extends the capabilites of the standard MBR by holding any additional primary partitions you have on a given HDD, in the EMBR, and loads 4 of them into the standard MBR when a particular boot item is selected, and chosen to boot. The beauty of BING is you can have multiple boot items in the menu, each configured differently (i.e. each set to load different combinations of partitions in the MBR partition table, so you can utilize as many partitions as you have on that - or any other - HDD). It also has another neat cool features on the side, ranging from username/password protection for any boot entry, its own built-in partition manager (which I found, in some cases, to be faster than Gparted), its own built-in imaging software, and other things which, although may never be needed, are still cool to have in case you ever do need them. It has all of this in a single easy-to-understand GUI, which will be loaded once pressing the "Maintenance" button at the BING boot menu, and pressing the appropriate button (such as "Partition Work") on the BING desktop.

As for the others, they're all "compatible with EasyBCD" since EasyBCD is not a partition or imaging software. Its a tool for manipulating the Vista/7 bootloader, that's about it. It does nothing that would impede or interfere with the process of imaging any partition.

It's working fine.
Are you logged on with "keep me logged on" ticked ?
Lack of tick can cause download problems.

HnS - Install Xp after Vista

I successfully installed HnS on my laptop.

I wish to thank all that were involved in providing a solution for protecting Vista's restore points.

My laptop was the test unit for dual booting.

After several reinstalls of Vista due to missing restore points, I researched & found HnS.

Since XP was already installed on a separate partition; my last reinstall of Vista, followed by HnS, took care of the problem.

I now wish to repeat the configuration for my desktop, except that XP isn't installed to a partition yet.

I've looked at many interchanges on the various NeoSmart forums, and articles such as APCMAG, and the links appended to the bottom of Moderator responses.

So far, the information is either pre-HnS or Xp is already installed.

Can I execute HnS with just Vista installed, so that I can install Xp, then, remove & reinstall HnS.

If what I'm looking for has been addressed, please point me to the procedure or discussion.

Thank you.

rickstev

Hi Rick, welcome to NST.
No you can't "pre-install" HnS.
HnS isn't installed as such, it's actually a GUI which installs a custom version of Grub4Dos, and auto-configures the grub menu.lst.
The important part is the "menu.lst" which contains the descriptions and positions of your OSs and which bits are hidden from which other bits.
Obviously, all the bits have to be in place before you can do that.

Make sure your Vista is in a secure and stable condition
Install XP, run this XP registry hack, check whether XP can access Vista files and folders
Repair the Vista boot
If the hack worked, you don't need HnS (It's provided for people like me, for whom the hack didn't work)
If the hack didn't work, run HnS on Vista
Set a Vista restore point with a unique name
Boot XP
Boot Vista, check that the restore point is still there.

HideNSeek - works, thanks! Default OS Timeout?

I am just a weekend computer tinkerer and haven't been able to get around the Vista - XP delete restore points issue even after trying multiple online suggestions. However, this works perfectly for me. Thanks a lot for your efforts!

Question: Is it possible to change the default OS timeout to a lower number? I think it must be set to 30 seconds now.

It gave you the option to fine tune those settings at the last stage of the UI.exe, but just find the menu.lst file on your "system" partition and you can use notepad to alter the timeout value.
HnS menu.lst looks like this example only less complex.

Somewhat.

EasyBCD 2 implements the single-level menu with multiple XPs and Vista/7s, but does not hide the XP drive when booting into 7.

Thanks all - So if I still want to protect Windows 7 restore points from Windows XP, I assume I need to still use hns?! I thought could always see the XP drive in Windows 7 - it was the Windows 7/Vista drive I couldn't see in Windows XP as it was hidden to prevent XP overwriting the Windows 7/Vista restore points? So does EasyBCD 2 hide the Windows 7/Vista drive when it boots Windows XP?

Last edited:
Unless the registry hack works for you. You still need HidenSeek to hide the system restores from each other. CG it would be nice for a W7 boot graphic as an option from the vista one :smile:

Hey Mike,

Not sure what you're referring to - do you mean the graphic inside the HnS software, that is overlaid on top of the drive icons?

Back