Dual boot with Vista & XP Errors

Hi,

I read page 2 as u mentioned HDD need to be raw format, but my screen seems look something like this.

install+xp+01.article-width.jpg

Can I still proceed to install on tat partition which nvr indicates raw?

No, you absolutely cannot.
As you can see, it has already identified Partition1 as being Drive C: - meaning that there is no way it'll ever make the Unpartitioned Space drive D:

I don't see what is so difficult about my original instructions:
Use acronis to hide the first partition.
Install to the second partition
use acronis to unhide the first partition.

Addendum:

One more thing: why do you need XP to be drive C:\?

Last edited:
Oic, so now I need to achieve that is to hide vista partition, then go back to the XP cd and should be able to see Raw drive and install to there? After installation finish, then restart and unhide, if unhide, both will become to what drive letter? It really sounds quite complicated to me to complete the whole process.

My motive for XP to be drive C: is for installation purpose which some software hardcode to c: as installation path.

No, you absolutely cannot.
As you can see, it has already identified Partition1 as being Drive C: - meaning that there is no way it'll ever make the Unpartitioned Space drive D:

I don't see what is so difficult about my original instructions:
Use acronis to hide the first partition.
Install to the second partition
use acronis to unhide the first partition.

Addendum:

One more thing: why do you need XP to be drive C:\?
Just 1 question. How is it that when i installed XP after Vista i was still able to get both recognized as C:\? I used the same ahrd drive and i already had Partition 1 recognized as C:\. Wait no that i think about it. I was using 2 seperate hard drives. But i did get XP after Vista to be recognized as C:\ i just dont remember how i did it.

Oic, so now I need to achieve that is to hide vista partition, then go back to the XP cd and should be able to see Raw drive and install to there? After installation finish, then restart and unhide, if unhide, both will become to what drive letter? It really sounds quite complicated to me to complete the whole process.

My motive for XP to be drive C: is for installation purpose which some software hardcode to c: as installation path.
There are very FEW applications that need to be hardcoded as C:\. Come to think of it i havent seen anything like that since the Windows 98SE days. Almost anythign in XP can use any drive letter. Cause not everyone isntalls apps to their C:\ Drive. I knwo i dont. I have yet to find a app that wont work this way.

Yes, that should do the trick.

There is nothing wrong with software installing to C: even if your copy of Windows is on drive D: - it's just a matter of preference, but it'll run just fine.

The main problem is driver issues, somehow I install a network driver, after a restart both LAN and WLAN cannot be use and network connection folder is blank with an error message. I suspect this is the cause of XP not being in C: as last time I won't encountered such problem.

So now if I would like to try out the both C: thingy, the steps to complete is hide vista c:, boot xp cd install xp to unpartition space, restart and xp will become c: I suppose, d: backup partition, vista drive letter unknown hidden? But if I run easybcd, drive hidden I need to unhide it, but after the unhide, what drive letter will vista be assigned to, this is the part I'm quite curious about it.

Vista will see itself as C: and XP will see itself as C:
Each will see the other as D:

Your driver issue has nothing at all to do with C: or not, drivers are stored via an API call, which knows to stick them in the system directory of the current OS, so there is no way they're going to D: by accident.

Back