Dual booting between XP Pro SP3 and 7

Ok so copied over the two remaining files from my XP drive to 7 drive.

Just to say:

7 = C
XP = D

Now in EasyBCD I went to change settings went to the XP OS and changed its drive from D to C.

Now it's saying:

Entry #2

Name: Windows XP Professional
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \NTLDR

Everything good?

PERFECT! :brows: That is exactly the way it should be setup! :wink: Now it should work, providing your boot.ini is configured correctly, of course.... :smile:

-Coolname007

Yes... now to work on your copied boot.ini file.
Change the ...rdisk(0)...s to ...rdisk(1)...s

The exception here though is if 7 sees itself as second. If it does, than you don't need to do this. You can find out by going to disk management.

I can't save it.

I right clicked on the boot.ini file when to properties and read only was not checked. When I save it it says that there is already one there. Asks me if I want to over write it so I do then it says it can't create it.

SO I saved it to my desktop and then just did a copy and paste. Which apparently worked. BUT I still can not boot into XP.

When I select it and hit enter it just reboots my system.

But just to make sure... THis is all right right?

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

I can't save it.

I right clicked on the boot.ini file when to properties and read only was not checked. When I save it it says that there is already one there. Asks me if I want to over write it so I do then it says it can't create it.

SO I saved it to my desktop and then just did a copy and paste. Which apparently worked. BUT I still can not boot into XP.

When I select it and hit enter it just reboots my system.

But just to make sure... THis is all right right?

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Yeah, it looks fine to me...unless of course the partition numbers are off! :lol:

Or it could be a separate problem you're having now, not related to boot.ini...:wink:

-Coolname007

Now this boot.ini file is at the root of your Win 7 partition?

Yes. Along with the other three files.

Now I was looking at the Disk management again and it looks like my Disk 0 (Windows 7) has three partitions on it.

200 MB
107.01 GB (Windows 7 C Drive)
4.58 GB

Could this be doing anything?

Yes. Along with the other three files.

Now I was looking at the Disk management again and it looks like my Disk 0 (Windows 7) has three partitions on it.

200 MB
107.01 GB (Windows 7 C Drive)
4.58 GB

Could this be doing anything?

No, that will not affect things, since we are dealing here with XP's partition, not Win 7's, in boot.ini...:wink:

-Coolname007

Nope... I know this sounds crazy since I told you to do the opposite, but I'm curious if it'll start working if you put back rdisk(1) to rdisk(0). Have you tried this yet? Also, is your XP really on partition 1? Is there multiple partitions on your XP drive like there is on Win 7s'?

Nope... I know this sounds crazy since I told you to do the opposite, but I'm curious if it'll start working if you put back rdisk(1) to rdisk(0). Have you tried this yet? Also, is your XP really on partition 1? Is there multiple partitions on your XP drive like there is on Win 7s'?

Good question. :evil: Especially since you were jumping my case earlier, saying that the partition numbers didn't need to be changed! :tongueout:

Hahaha! :lol:

-Coolname007

Well I did change my NTLDR file and when I tried to boot into XP it told me I had a bad boot.ini file.

So I'll just re copy over the one form the XP drive back int he 7 drive and give it a try.

Good question. :evil: Especially since you were jumping my case earlier, saying that the partition numbers didn't need to be changed! :tongueout:

Hahaha! :lol:

-Coolname007

Typically partition won't matter. But in cases such as the Vista/Win 7 bootloader it could be anything, regardless of how Vista sees it. I know first hand from today's experiences I've had with getting my laptop setup with win 7.

Back