Dual booting between XP Pro SP3 and 7

Worked!

Fast last Question if you two aren't tired of me.

Is there a way to make the partition that has 7 on it be the active one instead of my new H drive?

Also

THANKS A LOT FOR the help!

I have never done duel booting like this before and you two were a great help! Thank you for teaching me and helping me expand my knowledge on computers!

Like I said before each drive has its own active partition....
So don't worry about it! :smile:

And glad you got it working...

Worked!

Fast last Question if you two aren't tired of me.

Is there a way to make the partition that has 7 on it be the active one instead of my new H drive?

Also

THANKS A LOT FOR the help!

I have never done duel booting like this before and you two were a great help! Thank you for teaching me and helping me expand my knowledge on computers!

Glad you got it sorted. :smile: And in answer to your question, yes, there is a way i think, but I will have to first research how MS determines "active" for partitions, since it seems to be different than the way BING does it. :wink:

I'm glad I could be of assistance! :happy:

-Coolname007

FOUND THE SOLUTION!

Never mind! :smile: Got it now! Simply select your Win 7 partition, while in Disk Management, click on "More actions" on the right side of the window, and then "All tasks", and click on "Mark partition as Active." Done! :joy:

-Coolname007

Last edited:
yea... why fix whats already been fixed? Don't wanna break something else in the proccess... thats the worst

Good night and good luck with beta testing. And make sure you feedback to your hearts content to MS. I've made a good 5-6 reports tonight on stuff from previous versions that should still be there, so let em know what you think if you want to see it in the final release...

yea... why fix whats already been fixed? Don't wanna break something else in the proccess... thats the worst

Good night and good luck with beta testing. And make sure you feedback to your hearts content to MS. I've made a good 5-6 reports tonight on stuff from previous versions that should still be there, so let em know what you think if you want to see it in the final release...

"Why fix what has already been fixed"? Simple reason. Because the OP wants his Win 7 partition to be marked as active...that's why! :lol: And anyway, providing he left his 3 XP boot files in the Win 7 root, it will work perfectly, once he points the XP entry back at the Win 7 partition! :brows:

Cheers and goodnight! :grinning:

-Coolname007

His win 7 partition should already be active since that is the only partition on that hard drive. With the newer OSes they don't always make it apparent. And if it isn't and he changes it, he'll need to startup repair from the disc to get Win 7 booting again.

His win 7 partition should already be active since that is the only partition on that hard drive. With the newer OSes they don't always make it apparent. And if it isn't and he changes it, he'll need to startup repair from the disc to get Win 7 booting again.

No, Justin...:wink: His other partition, the one that he just copied XP's boot files over to, is the one on Disk 0 that is active...not Win 7's partition! :smile: The other partition is on the same hard drive as the Win 7 partition is! :grinning:

-Coolname007

Addendum:

Ok so far here is what is flagged:

Disk 0 (Windows 7)
- Boot
- Page File
- Crash Dump
- Primary Partition

NOW here's something else:

200 MB partition:
- System
-Active
- Primary Partition

4.58GB partition:
- Primary Partition

These two are both in Disk 0 <<<<<<<<

Disk 1 (Windows XP)
- Active
- Primary Partition

There it is. :smile:

-Coolname007

Last edited:
Ok, but you also haft to remember that because that is the active partition for win 7's drive and he is booting from that drive as the primary boot device, making win 7 the active partition will still make it so he can't boot Win 7 without startup repair. That is the partition that it looks for Win 7 boot files as well, so no bootmgr even if he changed it....

Ok, but you also haft to remember that because that is the active partition for win 7's drive and he is booting from that drive as the primary boot device, making win 7 the active partition will still make it so he can't boot Win 7 without startup repair. That is the partition that it looks for Win 7 boot files as well, so no bootmgr even if he changed it....

True. I forgot about Win 7's boot files...:wink: But he could easily move over "bootmgr", and "bcd" to the Win 7 partition to fix that problem. Then it will work fine without any need to run a startup repair...:wink:

-Coolname007

Last edited:
Don't mess with the "active" flag.
It's there for one purpose. It tells the MBR IPL program where to go to find the boot files.
If you point it to a different partition, the boot will fail.
If you insist on your W7 being truly the "active" partition, you'll need to start again and repair the W7 boot after changing the flag, then you'll need to do all of the XP stuff again.
Don't fix what isn't broken.
If you'd ready the sticky more carefully (point 3), you'd have seen the vital point, locate the "system" partition on the 1st HDD in your boot sequence. That's where everything to do with Windows boot has to be. You could have saved a lot of time last night.
Glad to see it all worked out in the end.

Don't mess with the "active" flag.
It's there for one purpose. It tells the MBR IPL program where to go to find the boot files.
If you point it to a different partition, the boot will fail.

Again, that's only if he doesn't move his Win 7 boot files over to his Win 7 partition before he sets it to active! :smile: If he does that, then it will work perfectly. :brows:

-Coolname007

Last edited:
Back