Dual booting between XP Pro SP3 and 7

Ntdetect failed... you sure you got ntdetect.com on both drives? They need to be on the "active" partitions.

No go. Got the same message again:

Invalid BOOT.INI File
Booting from C:\windows\
NTDETECT failed

Yeah, like Justin said, you will need to have a working ntdetect.com on your Win 7 partition. :wink: That file is included in the zip on that page I gave the link to. Try replacing your ntdetect.com file with the downloaded copy, and see if it works.

-Coolname007

Addendum:

Yes the Ntdetect.com files are on both the 7 and XP drive. In the root.

Try the one from here: Windows XP - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

Maybe it will help. Or maybe it wont! :lol: Just try it though, to see if it does...:wink:

-Coolname007

Last edited:
Go into disk management and see which partitions have the "active" flag for each drive. If the ntdetect.com file doesn't reside on any of those partitions, it needs to be copied there.

Ok so I went to the backup page and put that ntedect file in my 7 root.

I got the error message again

So I went back and edited the boot.ini again to do that 1 instead of 0. This time it let me save. Tried it again did not work.

Addendum:

Ok so far here is what is flagged:

Disk 0 (Windows 7)
- Boot
- Page File
- Crash Dump
- Primary Partition

NOW here's something else:

200 MB partition:
- System
-Active
- Primary Partition

4.58GB partition:
- Primary Partition

These two are both in Disk 0

Disk 1 (Windows XP)
- Active
- Primary Partition

Last edited:
Ok so I went to the backup page and put that ntedect file in my 7 root.

I got the error message again

So I went back and edited the boot.ini again to do that 1 instead of 0. This time it let me save. Tried it again did not work.

Ahh...so you didn't save it the last time? :wink: That may be the cause of your problem then. try it again, this time remembering to save it with the rdisk values set to 1, as well as the partitions. Also, how many partitions do you have on the XP drive? that may need to be edited too, in boot.ini...

-Coolname007

Active partition, Justin...not partitions! :grinning: There can only be one active partition at any particular point in time on the same computer. :wink:

-Coolname007

There can only be one active partition per disk. Since this user has two hard drives, they'll have two active partitions.

Ahh...so you didn't save it the last time? :wink: That may be the cause of your problem then. try it again, this time remembering to save it with the rdisk values set to 1, as well as the partitions. Also, how many partitions do you have on the XP drive? that may need to be edited too, in boot.ini...

-Coolname007

What I did before when I could not save it was I saved it to my desktop. Then copied it from the desktop and put it over into the C (7) drive.

As far as the partitions go for my D (XP) drive there is only 1. Not like 7 that has 3.

Also here is what my boot file looks like. *after modifing it*
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Should anything else be changed?

There can only be one active partition per disk. Since this user has two hard drives, they'll have two active partitions.

Right...I just figured that out right before you posted! :smile: I was under the impression before that there could only be one active partition at a given time, no matter how many disks, but it seems i was thinking of what BING calls "active", and not Windows. :wink: Sorry, my bad. :smile:

-Coolname007

Disk 0 (Windows 7)
- Boot
- Page File
- Crash Dump
- Primary Partition

NOW here's something else:

200 MB partition:
- System
-Active
- Primary Partition

4.58GB partition:
- Primary Partition

These two are both in Disk 0

Disk 1 (Windows XP)
- Active
- Primary Partition

hmm...interesting. :smile: So it now seems like your boot files should be on that 200 MB partition, and not the Win 7 partition, since it is the former that is active. :wink:

So go ahead, and put your XP boot files on that partition instead. That should solve the problem. :smile:

-Coolname007

EDIT: I see Justin has already beat me to it...

Last edited:
hmm...interesting. :smile: So it now seems like your boot files should be on that 200 MB partition, and not the Win 7 partition, since it is the former that is active. :wink:

So go ahead, and put your XP boot files on that partition instead. That should solve the problem. :smile:

-Coolname007

EDIT: I see Justin has already beat me to it...

How do I access it?

I am not able to check the 200MB partition. When I right click on it in the disk management section it's faded out for me to explore it.

Can you access it from "Computer" or whatever Win 7 calls it? it seems this a problem of greater magnitude than i had first suspected...:wink:

-Coolname007

If its really the active partition you should have access to it...
Is this install of XP pre-installed or did you install it? from the sounds of it it is running through that partition first when you boot from that drive in case you want to use the recovery options and than procceds to boot XP, but this could be a problem with dual-booting from another hard drive since it must have ntdetect.com to work properly.

If its really the active partition you should have access to it...
Is this install of XP pre-installed or did you install it? from the sounds of it it is running through that partition first when you boot from that drive in case you want to use the recovery options and than procceds to boot XP, but this could be a problem with dual-booting from another hard drive since it must have ntdetect.com to work properly.

I installed it. I have a copy of XP both home and pro.

No I am not able to get to it from the win 7 computer screen.

BUT

I had to get into XP today so I just swapped drives in the bios menu to have my XP drive boot first. When I got into it the active drive was visible there and was called the D drive.

So it was like:

XP = C
the MB drive = D

Then the 7 drive I think was E.

Or something in that nature.

I installed it. I have a copy of XP both home and pro.

No I am not able to get to it from the win 7 computer screen.

BUT

I had to get into XP today so I just swapped drives in the bios menu to have my XP drive boot first. When I got into it the active drive was visible there and was called the D drive.

So it was like:

XP = C
the MB drive = D

Then the 7 drive I think was E.

Or something in that nature.

But can you access it now? It sounds like to me things have changed since...:wink:

-Coolname007

EDIT: Realized we're talking about seeing it from Win 7 here, not XP...

Last edited:
Ok from Win 7 in disk management right click on that active partition, select "Change Drive Letters and Paths" and try to assign it a letter.

Back