Fairly new website

Coolname007

Distinguished Member
Most of you probably already know this, but for those of you who don't, I have created a new (free) website lately, with Webs.com as host. For anyone who wants to view it, you can find it here:

Expert Technology Storehouse - Home

Feel free to join, and add content at will. It'll have lots of cool stuff when I'm done with it. :smile:
Also, do give feedback. I'd like to know most people's first impression of the site.

One initial observation Jake.
I clicked on your link and it broke Vista Aero. I had to close the tab and restart Maxthon to get my glass back.

One initial observation Jake.
I clicked on your link and it broke Vista Aero. I had to close the tab and restart Maxthon to get my glass back.
What?! That's a new one for me (and I have no idea how it could have happened). Are you sure the event was connected, and it didn't just break? >.<

No, it's reproducable.
I get exactly the same symptoms with RedShift 5, because it handles the screen itself.
Click the link, and the screen "blacks out", then returns with Aero turned off.
I need to stop Maxthon and restart it to get Aero back.

Last edited:
No, it's reproducable.
I get exactly the same symptoms with RedShift 5, because it handles the screen itself.
Click the link, and the screen "blacks out", then returns with Aero turned off.
I need to stop Maxthon and restart it to get Aero back.
Try Justin's site to see if it occurs there too:

kairozamorro's hangout - Blog

He has a Webs.com site too. I'm using Firefox over here, and Justin's using IE. So perhaps it has to do with the browser you are using.

It's got something to do with flash-player I think. It does the same thing with Maxthon and Opera (which both have flash incorporated) but not with IE8 (x64) which doesn't.
It does come up with the flash-installer message on IE8 asking for permission to install it.

It's got something to do with flash-player I think. It does the same thing with Maxthon and Opera (which both have flash incorporated) but not with IE8 (x64) which doesn't.
It does come up with the flash-installer message on IE8 asking for permission to install it.
Odd thing is I just tried going there with Opera myself, and though it displayed the page differently than in FF (it looks better in FF), I didn't get the problem you described (of course, then again, I still have the default settings on my Opera, so perhaps that has something to do with it too)...

EDIT: I see why you might think its the flash. I did include a few widgets that need flash on the home page, but it still shouldn't be ph*cking up like that...

Last edited:
Those 2 links are fine, but the original is in some kind of loop. It shows a progress bar taking about a minute to get to 100%, with the status bar flashing messages too rapidly to read, then suddenly back to 9% and counting again. After a few minutes it still hadn't finished flashing messages, though the page looked substantially complete.

Those 2 links are fine, but the original is in some kind of loop. It shows a progress bar taking about a minute to get to 100%, with the status bar flashing messages too rapidly to read, then suddenly back to 9% and counting again. After a few minutes it still hadn't finished flashing messages, though the page looked substantially complete.
This is in Maxthon only, or in Opera too on yours? Ok, I'll have to look into this. I'll contact my members and see if they're experiencing the same trouble too. Perhaps the problem can be reproduced by somebody else as well.

Addendum:

Do you mind posting a screenshot of what you're experiencing, so I can describe it better to my members? Thanks, Terry.

Last edited:
In opera, the messages are not so rapid. I can read "transferring data from ctyourminis, statsyourminis, coolname. something" amongst others, and because of the elements count in the address bar I can see the nature of the loop.
It says x-1 elements downloaded / of x elements, where x is steadily increasing, but the downloaded count is always minus one.

Just reloaded the home page 5 times in the last few minutes in Opera, but still haven't seen what you're describing...:wtf: This is really bizarre. I would appreciate if you posted a screenshot of what you're seeing, so I can see it firsthand.

Cool, it has to do with the widgets on your page. They require flash and you know how buggy some of those services/flash in itself can be. I was getting quicktime messages when visiting your site a few weeks ago until I upgraded to the latest version.

before and a few after. Note the elements count rising, though this time it's always x/x not x-1/x

Attachments

• fnw1.JPG
    fnw1.JPG
    203.4 KB · Views: 5
  • fnw2.JPG
    fnw2.JPG
    206.4 KB · Views: 2
  • fnw3.JPG
    fnw3.JPG
    165.8 KB · Views: 2
  • fnw5.JPG
    fnw5.JPG
    200.6 KB · Views: 4
Cool, it has to do with the widgets on your page. They require flash and you know how buggy some of those services/flash in itself can be. I was getting quicktime messages when visiting your site a few weeks ago until I upgraded to the latest version.
The Quick Time thing is because I decided to have music to play in the background when viewing the home page. Nothing I can do about you not having the latest version of Quick Time unfortunately...
before and a few after. Note the elements count rising, though this time it's always x/x not x-1/x
Hmm...yes, I can see what you're talking about with the elements, but I can't see in those screenshots what you described earlier (i.e. the screen going black, and the rest), however. Are those other effects still occurring?

Last edited:
Yes, but I can't capture it with a screenshot, it's transient. It's something to do with UAC, when a task takes over the graphics and a change in elevation status takes place I think. CG would understand it, he's used to programming in this area.
My Camedia software for my Olymus camera, does it too (and that uses Quicktime too because the camera takes movies in MP4)

Addendum

Talking of my camera.
Download the attached file, rename it from .txt to .MP4, and click it.
It's a very truncated video clip of the screen blacking, very brief to squeeze into the 2Mb limit, and renamed because MP4 is an invalid filetype to the uploader.

Attachments

• fnw.txt
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Ok, I watched the clip. A very weird occurrence, if you ask me...
Not sure what can be done to fix that problem, because I really like my widgets. :??

Run Quicktime Player from your Start/All programs.
Doesn't it blank your screen and turn off Aeroglass until you stop it again ?
It does on my system.
Have you disabled UAC ?

Back