I Need My Head Examining

With those clocks repairs can only be done by qualified repair people using authentic parts and here there is only one place in the entire country so what I would have to do is take it to the nearest retailer (not far) and have them send it in for repair, or courier it to the repair place direct (only 10ml/16km away but they don't do drop-offs), so there would be no parts for me to keep. However, as I've bought the replacement clock, hopefully I wont need their services for a few years at least.

Of course, yes there are and those are where I get my watches fixed, but these clocks have to be serviced by a licensed and trained Jaeger LeCoultre person. The local Swiss Watch Repair used to do it, but now they redirect me to the official place, which costs the Earth of course.

In other news my 'new' replacement clock is at the Post Office but missed delivery today so I should get it Monday.

Here's the eBay listing by the way: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/150942753552...l?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=150942753552&_rdc=1

Last edited:
Ouch, that is a nasty typo in the title!

Yeah, I meant something along the lines of your local Swiss repair shop. Any idea why they stopped?

I thought it would have natural movement for the minute hand, I was surprised to learn (from this poorly-narrated video: Jaeger-LeCoultre Atmos Perpetual Motion Clock - YouTube ) that that is not the case, and that it still "ticks" (though the twisting pendulum at the bottom is certainly tick-free). Admirable clock, there.

Well they sort of tick...it's silent. The weight is on the end of a long spring loaded spindle which has a cam at the top that 'catches' a fork shaped piece that in turn turns the clock mechanism. The whole thing is suspended on a fine wire, all very delicate. The clocks are so expensive that you wouldn't want an unqualified person looking at it. By the way thanks to that typo only one other person found the listing, so those 7 bids were 4 of mine and 3 of theirs. There are loads of Atmos clocks for sale but most aren't in as nearly good a condition as this one appears to be. By the online progress report it looks like I'll get it Monday. At least buying this way I'm covered by eBay/PayPal if something goes wrong.

Last edited:
I guess I didn't mean "tick" so much as "the minute hand is not constantly (but imperceptibly) moving towards the next mark," if that makes any sense :smile:

I don't believe this....yesterday I had some friends over to help me put up a new ceiling light fixture in the kitchen and they were asking about the clock, so I unlocked the mechanism to show them how it works expecting it to stop after a maximum of 2 hours or so, as usual. It's still going 20 hours later and keeping accurate time. Ah well, 2 clocks are better than one I suppose. Sigh.
For inanimate objects these things certainly seem to have distinct personalities.

Last edited:
Ah well, 2 clocks are better than one I suppose. Sigh.

Brings to mind the old adage: "a man with one watch always knows what time it is, a man with two watches is never sure."

Do you have any idea why it started working again?

None at all I'm afraid, unless it has something to do with the longer it's left off the more the spring is wound up by the atmospheric pressure/temperature changes...only a theory though. Maybe it was off long enough to give it that extra "push" or perhaps whatever got twisted in the jolt, finally untwisted itself. It's anyone's guess I suppose and only someone familiar with these strange clocks would have any idea. It's still 'ticking' merrily so am just hoping it stays that way. I really didn't want to have to sell it for scrap, although non-working Atmos clocks still fetch anything up to $850 US on eBay, so I could have sold it, but I was certainly not looking forward to doing that with all the double packing that would be needed and all the red tape eBay selling involves.

Keep it around for a while, and if it doesn't act strange again, put it up for sale on eBay as working with a minor caveat? Or craigslist/kijiji.. no packing needed there!

I will keep it here for a while. This is all assuming the replacement arrives in one piece and is in working order or course.

Edit: arrived and works well and is in excellent condition, better than my original one despite being older than that one.

Last edited:
Back