I Need My Head Examining

Any updates on that clock? Surely you've got it back by now :smile:
When I made that comment about a year passing, I was joking but seriously, its getting there...

Not yet, they are still servicing it. It's already a heck of a lot longer than the 14 weeks they quoted. I'll have to start bugging them I suppose.

"It's the squeaky wheel that gets the oil" Peter. You're being too English. Get in there and give them a poke with a sharpened stick.

True, but I have other priorities right now. Like attending a series of tests to determine why I'm getting stabbing pains in my midriff from time to time, plus getting my living room ceiling painted....LOL....it never ends.
I just called them - it's in the final process of "being timed" - I guess checking for accuracy and that will take "a week or two".

As I said they told me 2 weeks tops, so that's fine. The longer all that money stays in my savings the better.

My most accurate timepiece, the one I use to set all the others, (roll on BST in 3 weeks !) is my electricity meter.
It's an Economy 7 meter (dual rate night/day) so it has to switch between 2 counters at fixed times. Older meters had electro-mechanical timers included, but this one has a radio link to the british atomic clock time signal, so it's always within the odd billionth of a second of GMT, and can be temporarily switched to display time rather than the meter reading.

Timepieces fascinate me.......more's the pity sometimes...!!:lol:

Addendum...hey Terry, now that is accurate...LOL.

Last edited:
Got it back and it looks almost like new. Between this and my new TV I'll be on bread and water for the next little while...LOL.
No more credit card spending for a while. I've done enough to beat the recession, it's someone else's turn now.

We're 51 degrees North here Peter, in southern England (It always seems strange to think of Canada being South of UK in part), so a year without BST would be awful. I always look forward to the switch from GMT to BST, which coincidentally is tonight ! just 26 hours to go.
It gets dark at 4pm mid-winter, but stays light till 11pm in summer, and where you used to live (oop narth) it must have been even more extreme.
I had a proposal for double triple and quadruple BST on a sliding scale as the year progressed to keep dawn at about 7am and allow summertime midnight partying before sunset, and had I been Prime MInister ............ ?

Actually Terry I have noticed the difference when I visit. We are further south here and it's amazing the difference a half dozen degrees make. We're around Madrid I think latitude-wise.

Footnote to all this several years later. I had guests over the other weekend and one of them barged into the étagère that has the clock on display and gave it a real jarring. Ever since then it wont run for more than 4 hours at a pop, or if it does manage longer, it loses time drastically. The pendulum is suspended on a fine metal wire and I suspect they damaged that part and the suspension is the most expensive part to replace apparently.

Jaeger LeCoultre has been taken over by the Swiss time company Richemont, who are now the only service outlet for Canada, & want $1200 minimum just to look at it, plus any parts that may be needed. Considering all parts are gold plated,...well you can guess.

So, I found another used one on eBay. The seller has an excellent reputation and they assure me it's working fine and it will be shipped to me soon, from Massachusetts. That saved me several hundred dollars over the repair cost of the old one and according to the eBay listing and what correspondence I have had with the Auction House that is selling it, is in A-1 Mint Condition. My original one above was pretty badly scratched in several spots, but still a thing of beauty. These clocks on eBay are usually pretty old but are supposed to last a lifetime. This particular one's serial number puts it's manufacture earlier than my original one; somewhere between 1960's and 70's.

Here's the "new" one (Dimensions are: 9.5" (24.1cm) in height , 8" (20.3cm) in width and 6.5" (16.5cm) in depth, weight: 15lbs (6.8kg)):

atmosnov62012_(17).JPG

I hope I've made a good purchase. I know I'm nuts but I have a mania for clocks and I always wanted a working Atmos.

Money-wise bang goes another holiday. However, there may a silver lining, these clocks still fetch top dollar on eBay even if they don't work.

So I may just resell my old one.....we shall see.

Knowing my luck the second the 'new' one is set up here, the old one will probably decide to work normally again.

By the way the seller made a rather bad spelling mistake in the eBay listing header so there were only 2 bidders that found the listing. I had to use an advanced search to find it so I hope I have made a killing as a result.

Pity perpetual motion, which this clock virtually has barring accidents and mechanical failure, can't be a feature of humans growing old. :tongueout:

Last edited:
Beautify clock! If you MUST have any parts replaced be sure to get and keep safe the old parts. The replacement parts will reduce the resale value significantly unless you have the old parts.

Back