iReboot 2.0 Discussion Thread

My first screenshot can be found in Post 34.
iReboot 2.0 Discussion Thread - Page 3 - The NeoSmart Forums

Ubuntu can be found right above "Alle Programme".

However: I don't really see the benefit of this over the taskbar icon, at least not enough to make this worth the effort.

The essential benfit is to have all Options in one list
and to have this list right there where it's used to be in Windows so that all Users are able to find it.
For e.g.:
I'm Administrator for a PC or Network with more Users.
There is no problem for me to find the new options after installing iReboot - but what about the stupid Users? ^^

That was just an Idea.
It's not necessary for me to get this, but I think it would be nice to have an option to Add Operating Systems in this list if wanted.

For me it's just important to get a shortcut like the "Ubuntu" using command line.
I have been able to find this information about iReboot 2.0:
Features of iReboot 2.0:

• Command-line support for scripting
    [....]
Where do I find the command I have to Use?

I've tried to install 2.0 Beta Build 19 but it's not working.
I'm able to install it but then - after the icon appears in the taskbar - it's not klickable at all.
There is no reaction on right Mouseboutton, left Boutton, Double... nothing at all to do with it.

Buildt 16 is working showing a 1.XX Version in "About".
Buildt 17 is working as 2.0.0.17 Version in "About".
Buildt 18 and 19 are not working.

Last edited:
My first screenshot can be found in Post 34.
iReboot 2.0 Discussion Thread - Page 3 - The NeoSmart Forums

Ubuntu can be found right above "Alle Programme".
Oh, I see. Sorry, I briefly looked at the pic when you first made that post, but thought you were talking about a different pic when you made the second post.
I now see the Ubuntu icon in the Windows menu. I was expecting to see it in the reboot/shutdown/etc. menu.
That is interesting. I guess you just made a shortcut to the virtual machine file?
I doubt that technique would work to boot other OSes on different physical partitions though.

The essential benfit is to have all Options in one list
and to have this list right there where it's used to be in Windows so that all Users are able to find it.
For e.g.:
I'm Administrator for a PC or Network with more Users.
There is no problem for me to find the new options after installing iReboot - but what about the stupid Users? ^^
I think if anyone was smart enough to find iReboot to begin with and install it, they wouldn't be so stupid as to not notice the iReboot icon in the taskbar, and to read the instructions on how it works. :wink:
That was just an Idea.
It's not necessary for me to get this, but I think it would be nice to have an option to Add Operating Systems in this list if wanted.

For me it's just important to get a shortcut like the "Ubuntu" using command line.
I have been able to find this information about iReboot 2.0:
Features of iReboot 2.0:

• Command-line support for scripting
    [....]
Where do I find the command I have to Use?

I've tried to install 2.0 Beta Build 19 but it's not working.
I'm able to install it but then - after the icon appears in the taskbar - it's not klickable at all.
There is no reaction on right Mouseboutton, left Boutton, Double... nothing at all to do with it.

Buildt 16 is working showing a 1.XX Version in "About".
Buildt 17 is working as 2.0.0.17 Version in "About".
Buildt 18 and 19 are not working.

Addendum:

Genius! It works!

See attachment for details.
Ok, cool.
How did you make a shortcut to an OS in iReboot's menu?
I might want to do something like this myself.

Last edited:
Jake: Just use the command-line arguments to tell it what to boot into. See the 2nd post on the iReboot 2.0 download page.

German User: nice stuff!!

No need. You just create a shortcut to iReboot.exe. In the shortcut properties, just modify the "path" to add the command line arguments.

Right, I guess I can put a couple of commands in a batch file or something, then put a shortcut to the batchfile in the Windows menu.

That should work.
I'm using a batch File for starting Skype and Thunderbird after detecting a special sorrunding of wireless networks...
The effect for me:
1. Start Skype only after connecting the internet.
2. Start special software when I'm at home, and other software in university or other locations.
I dont need to start Skype after starting my computer at home, but I'm not disturbed by skype at work. That's pretty cool but not important here.

Use this for starting Software via batch:
start "" "E:\Software\NeoSmart\iReboot.exe"

Coolname007 said:
I now see the Ubuntu icon in the Windows menu. I was expecting to see it in the reboot/shutdown/etc. menu.
That is interesting. I guess you just made a shortcut to the virtual machine file?

No. I'm using a shortcut with commands:
E:\Software\Sun\VirtualBox\VBoxManage.exe startvm "Linux Ubuntu"

EDIT:
I've just tested iReboot on Vista. It's the same Error with Build 19 in all my Windows operating systems.
No reaction, no shortcuts, nothing - I#m actually using Build 17.

Last edited:
German User:

No clicking on the icon means that the iReboot service is not running. Can you check that for me? Run "services.msc" and look up iReboot in there.

After installing Build 19 there is a service in the List called:
"iReboot Background Service"

It is configured for starting automatically but is turned off.

Starting it manual causes an error. A screenshot is attached.

This error reports the service has been stopped automatically, becuase it is in "Leerlauf".
I'm not sure with translation but this means something like:
It was stopped because there is nothing actually done by this service..!

I've checked this in XP Professional - should be the same with Vista I think.
Maybe this automatic stop can be changed in Windows?

Since having shortcuts I'm not runnig iReboot on Windows start anymore.
It is started by shortcut when there is something to do for iReboot and turned of while normal usage of Windows.

Attachments

• info5.PNG
    info5.PNG
    28.9 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
thanks.

It seems that there is a bug in build 18+ where the service doesn't run. Will look into it.

I've just detected that it's not possible to configure iReboot for rebooting in the actual operating system on "Neu starten" (reboot) and not start this System after "Ausschalten" (turn off).
Am I right?

I will try to explain in steps:

That's the situation:
1. I'm running Windows XP and iReboot.
2. I've not checked "Reboot on Selection".

Then I choose an operating system in the tray bar.
Let's say to Windows Vista.

This will be booted next time the computer is started.
That's what iReboot is supposed to do.

But now (with this setting) I'm not able to use the "Neu starten" to directly reach XP without changing it in iReboot.
And for reboot directly in Vista there is the "Reboot on Selection" to check in iReboot, so that I dont need to use "Start" -> "Turn off".
It would be nice to have an option like this... I'm not sure with this Idea... if you don't understand - just forget about it.
Now here's what I thought about (see atachment):

Attachments

• info6.PNG
    info6.PNG
    59.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
I think I remember reading in another thread awhile back on iReboot, CG mentioning that you can accomplish this (i.e. rebooting into the current system from the Windows options dialog) by changing a configuration file used by iReboot, but I'll have to find it.

For me it would be nice to use the green "Neu starten" just for reboot into the current operating system once.
For changing operating system from XP to Vista I'm using the shortcut in XP.
For changing operating system from Vista to XP I'm using the shortcut in Vista.

When using "Start" -> "Neu starten" I want to reboot directly into the operating system I've just left and not to get the Vista bootloader.
Reboot from XP leads to XP without showing the bootloader.
Reboot from Vista leads to Vista without showing the bootloader.

Turn off ("Ausschalten") will show the bootloader upon next start to choose the operating system.

It is supposed to do what is now possible with a checked "Reboot on Selection" by clicking the operating system wich is already active for a simple reboot into the same system.

It's a bit like the Idea of having iReboot integrated into the Windows-Options.
I do not need this but it might be a nice option to have if it's not to hard to realise.

Thanks a lot - to all of you!

In order to achieve what you want iReboot would need to start with Windows.

In each OS, you'll need to customize the startup command, or create one of your own. You can add a new task to run at login to accomplish this for example.

Code:
"C:\Program Files\NeoSmart Technologies\iReboot\iReboot.exe" /reboot no /target {current}

The above well work for Vista/W7 OSes where the booted OS can be specified with {current}. For XP you would need to get the actual BCD ID, simple bcdedit/EasyBCD output well give you this.

Last edited:
Back