Issues dual booting XP after Vista on a Dell desktop

When you ran R165147.EXE, did it install the driver though? Maybe it does it automatically with this particular one, and you don't have to browse to the extract folder, and run the install.cmd, like I had to do with mine. Mind posting a screenshot of your Device Manager, with all the hidden devices shown (View tab), and any controllers you have showing up in there showing the minus (-) sign, instead of the plus (+) sign?

Last edited:
It does not automatically install. I guess I have to use the command as you did. How do I go about that procedure? Is install.cmd a recognizable command regardless of folder location? I
'll have to get back to you on the screen shot, I am making dinner for the wife:grinning:

All it is is a self extracter containing the driver files. Most of them are, but if there's something to install the installer should pop up automatically after the files have been extracted. You should get the software. Should be on your computers model page along with the driver download you got. The driver on its own is good for when you've booted from a disc such as an XP installation disc when it doesnt recognize your hard drive.

It does not automatically install. I guess I have to use the command as you did. How do I go about that procedure? Is install.cmd a recognizable command regardless of folder location? I
'll have to get back to you on the screen shot, I am making dinner for the wife:grinning:
There is no executable that I could see when I downloaded the driver that you have. So that is why I figured the install part might be included in the extractor program, i.e. "R165147.EXE".
@Justin: I doubt they would ship the driver without the installer included. Most likely it is part of the extractor.

Last edited:
You get the software package in order to install it. The drivers for XP cds.

What model are we dealing with here? I'll track it down...

The model of computer he's using is a Dell XPS 420 and the Intel Matrix Storage Manager I pointed him to is for that exact model.

Last edited:
Ok, part of your problem is XP isn't listed under your model, though it should still be possible anyway since the driver and software they provide are supposedly compatiable with XP.

Here's the download pages straight from Dell's support website:

Intel Matrix Software
Intel Matrix Driver

If you can't get this working, here's the solution I use:

Set my BIOS to use ATA mode. XP well work just fine under this as you already know. Vista can run in ATA but it must be installed in that mode, so re-install of Vista well be needed but after that both OSes should boot under ATA with no problems.

Edit: I don't think you need the driver download. The software installer should install it for you...

Last edited:
Ahh...there we go. The second link Justin posted has installation instructions for the same version I pointed you to:

Hard Drive Installation (via WinZip) from Device Manager for R165147.EXE

Download

1.Click the location, e.g. Americas, from which you want to download the file.
2.When the File Download window appears, click Save this program to disk and click OK. The Save In window appears.
3.From the Save In drop-down menu, click to select Desktop and then click Save. The file will download to your desktop.
4.If a Download Complete window appears, click Close. A new icon appears on your desktop.

Install

1. Double-click the new icon on the desktop labeled R165147.EXE.
2. The Self-Extractor window appears and prompts you to extract or unzip to C:\DELL\DRIVERS\R165147. If you did not print these instructions, write down this path.
3. The WinZip Self-Extractor window appears
4. Click OK.
5. If the Self-Extractor window is still open, close it.

Removing Incorrectly Installed Driver First in Windows 9x or Me

1. Click the Start button, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
2. From the Control Panel, double-click System.
3. Click Device Manager.
4. Under Other Devices, click to highlight Unknown Device.
5. Click the Remove button at the bottom of the window. The device and category both disappear.
6. Click Refresh. The Hardware Wizard appears.
7. Click Next.
8. Click Specify the location of the driver and then click Next.
9. Click Search for the best driver and if there is not a check mark is in the checkbox next to Specify a location, click to put one there.
10. Click once in the textbox beneath Specify a location, type C:\DELL\DRIVERS\R165147 and then click Next.
Windows finds the correct driver and asks you to verify it.
11. Click Next to install it.
Try it, and see if it works.

EDIT: Yep. It is as I thought. The self-extractor installs the driver automatically. You don't have to do anything, just extract. If you've already done that, then reboot, and see if it boots XP in normal SATA mode. If it does, then you know it worked.

Last edited:
So I have been through all of those steps at one time or another during this install and I still cant boot XP in SATA mode. Device Manager states that my Serial ATA Storage controllers and good and working. When I try to update the driver with R165147 it says my driver is more modern. I have tried R173416 which is the newer driver, which under the compatibility list on the download page from whence it came, say XPS 420 and XP among others. This driver actually has a setup command and runs a little installer. WHen I run this, after extraction and a few NEXT clicks, the install cancels and the message says 'Installation will cancel, minimum hardware requirements not met. My machine is less than a year old and is very stout. This is where I am stuck.
So in saying that, if I reinstall Vista, what steps would be required to make that OS work in ATA mode, and would there be a performance sacrifice by doing so??

Read the second half of my [post=36802]last post[/post]. It explains how I'm running things so Vista/XP both work in ATA mode.

So I have been through all of those steps at one time or another during this install and I still cant boot XP in SATA mode. Device Manager states that my Serial ATA Storage controllers and good and working. When I try to update the driver with R165147 it says my driver is more modern. I have tried R173416 which is the newer driver, which under the compatibility list on the download page from whence it came, say XPS 420 and XP among others. This driver actually has a setup command and runs a little installer. WHen I run this, after extraction and a few NEXT clicks, the install cancels and the message says 'Installation will cancel, minimum hardware requirements not met. My machine is less than a year old and is very stout. This is where I am stuck.
You said that you were going to post a screenshot of the XP Device Manager, but you never did...
Can you please do so?
So in saying that, if I reinstall Vista, what steps would be required to make that OS work in ATA mode, and would there be a performance sacrifice by doing so??
My understanding was that Vista on your computer boots in normal SATA mode, but XP doesn't. And you have to set the operating mode to "RAID auto-detect/ATA" in order to boot into XP. And Vista wont boot in this mode, so you have to set it back to normal SATA mode when you want to boot into Vista.
Is this not the case?

SO its as simple as reinstalling Vista with the BIOS mode in ATA??? Also, have you taken a performance hit by doing so?? Thanks.

Addendum:

Cool007 you are right on the money with but I was more or less figuring out what the other guy was explaining. Also screenshot with Device manager coming soon to a forum near you.

Last edited:
You can upload it to this forum. Just scroll down the page in the new post area, and click on the "Manage Attachments" button. Then you browse to where you saved the screenshot, and upload it here.

Here you go

attachment.php

Attachments

• DM screen.JPG
    DM screen.JPG
    137.9 KB · Views: 13
Could you scroll up the Device Manager window, and post another screenshot? There should be something called "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers", or something like that, and if there is, make sure to click the plus sign so it changes to a minus sign and reveals the devices beneath it in the tree. Also, if the version of the Intel Matrix Storage Manager driver is anything like the version I have, there should also be something in your Device manager called "SM Driver", and when you click on the plus sign to change it to a minus, and reveal the devices beneath it in the tree, there should be something called "SM bios service". I believe that is what actually interacts with your BIOS, and makes the driver to be detected.
And which one did you install last? The one I pointed you to, or the other one? If it was the other one, maybe you should uninstall that device in the Device Manager, and install the one I pointed you at again, and maybe it will work.

EDIT: Yeah, so make sure to uninstall the driver you installed with R173416, and try installing again the one installed by R165147.exe.

Last edited:
SO its as simple as reinstalling Vista with the BIOS mode in ATA??? Also, have you taken a performance hit by doing so?? Thanks.

Yes its that simple. Its beginning to look like you're not going to have any more luck than I was having, so this is the solution. I know cool's downloaded a modded driver apparently that allows him to run XP in AHCI, but I'd rather stick with the stock drivers from Dell's site. I havent noticed any difference in performance.

Yes its that simple. Its beginning to look like you're not going to have any more luck than I was having, so this is the solution. I know cool's downloaded a modded driver apparently that allows him to run XP in AHCI, but I'd rather stick with the stock drivers from Dell's site. I havent noticed any difference in performance.
Actually, the version of the IMSM driver I installed on my system that lets me run XP in AHCI was from the offical Lenovo site, not just some random site...
And actually, Dell in his case provides the same exact IMSM driver I pointed him to in the first place. :brows:
BTW, Vista in his case already boots with normal SATA mode, so I don't really see any point to him reinstalling the whole OS...
HIS problem is he can't boot into XP with normal SATA mode, but has to change it to "RAID auto-detect/ATA" mode each time, which in turn wont work for Vista. So, as you can see, it is a catch-22 situation, and he needs the IMSM...

Last edited:
Back