Lost my Mepis install

Muskt

Distinguished Member
Greetings group.

I am back for more assistance. Several months ago, I asked for assistance on a quad boot system on 3 SATA drives. My plan was to eventually delete one copy of Vista (after I migrated everything to the newer copy/drive). Well, I did just that and removed the drive. Yepper, you guessed it, I cannot now boot the Linux (Mepis8) OS.

I am using EasyBCD 2.0 Build 63. I have tried many combinations unsucessfully. With so many other users having similar problems, I find it disturbing that there is no "step by step" instructions on setting up Linux. I have never had a problem with any version of
Windows. EasyBCD always works flawlessly with Windows.

The current problem I am experiencing is an "error 17- cannot mount selected partition"

I am at work now, using my laptop, so I do not have access to the problem machine. I do remember that the Vista drive is the first drive with Win 7 on a separate partition of that drive. Vista is the boot & system partition. The second SATA drive has no OS installed & is just for backups & archives. The third SATA drive has the three Linux partitions and one additional storage partition,. The root for Mepis is the first partition (I do not know if I should call it 0 or 1). The storage is 2nd, swap is 3rd & home is 4th. That is where the install program placed them.

When I select Mepis from EasyBCD during boot, I get to the pretty colored Mepis boot screen and when I press the "Default" option, I get the error 17. I have tried adding Mepis with the "Grub is not----" checked & unchecked. I still cannot get a boot of Mepis.

I have attempted to copy the menu.lst file from a live CD boot onto a Windows drive and then paste it into the NST folder; however, it is always run together with no spaces or line breaks. Even if I could copy it, I really don't know what should be in the file.

So, I'm stuck AGAIN.

Jerry in Anchorage

Any Ideas?

Do any of the users have any ideas that I may try in order to be able to boot my Linux (Mepis 8) install?

I did it several months ago; however, I cannot recall the steps, and cannot locate any procedures that work.

Thanks,
Jerry in Anchorage

Error 17 is "wrong partition".
Did you point to the /boot partition in the dropdown if you have Linux in more than 1 partition ?

I believe I did

Thanks Terry.

Yes, I have the 3 recommended partitions (all on the same drive). The root partition is first in the catolog in the windows management program and in GParted. I selected the one that came up when I attempted to add the Linux install. When I check the "grub not insta----" box, that info becomes grayed out. I actually tried it both checked & unchecked with no success.

My feeble memory tells me that I needed to modify the menu.lst in the NST folder. I cannot remember how/what I did to make it work.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Again, today, I am using my laptop at work & do not have access to the computer at home. I will attempt to post a snip of the menu.lst from Linux and a snip of the GPart catalog later this evening.

Thanks again,
Jerry in Anchorage

I do not understand!

I just spent about 45 minutes creating a reply & then calmly pushed the close browser button. Must be nearly time to make pillow tracks.

I was under the impression theat BCD was clever enough to go and look for the Grub loader on the Mepis install drive. I thought that was the purpose of the NST folder on the Vista drive. So, how do I tell it what to do, & where to go?

Here are the entries from BCD:

Entry #1
Name: Windows Vista
BCD ID: {current}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

Entry #2
Name: Windows 7
BCD ID: {1f07fcba-f0e2-11dd-90d1-001d9266b01f}
Drive: F:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

Entry #3
Name: Mepis 8
BCD ID: {1f07fcca-f0e2-11dd-90d1-001d9266b01f}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \NST\NeoGrub.mbr

The pic below is the Vista disk manage display that shows Mepis as disk 2 & the root is the 16G partition (first partition). GParted in a live CD run of Mepis shows the same location for the Mepis root partition, but the Archive partition is second with the Swap & Home 3rd & 4th.

I guess one of my main problems is just simply to figure out what tell the BCD to look for, or where to go.

I have said it before: "Why does it have to be so complicated??"

Thanks,
Jerry in Anchorage

I forgot, here is the menu.lst from the NST folder in Vista.

timeout 0
default 0

title /boot/grub/menu.lst
fallback 1
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /boot/grub/menu.lst
configfile /boot/grub/menu.lst

title /grub/menu.lst
fallback 2
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /grub/menu.lst
configfile /grub/menu.lst

title /boot/grub.conf
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /boot/grub.conf
configfile /boot/grub.conf

Attachments

• Vista Disk Manage.JPG
    Vista Disk Manage.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I meant to navigate to the Linux tab in the Add/Remove Entries section of EasyBCD (after first removing the old Linux entry), open up the Device menu, and point the new entry at the /boot partition, instead of at the root partition. Do not select the "Grub is not installed..." box. You should only try configuring NeoGrub manually if the standard Linux option in EasyBCD does not work. :wink:

Failing all that, just copy over the entries from your Mepis menu.lst into your NeoGrub menu.lst, and do not modify it in any way, and it should work.
Also, make sure to re-read this thread, where I helped you figure out your previous problem booting in Mepis. It is possible you forgot how you made it work the last time. :wink:

Last edited:
I'll give that a shot. You are correct in that I could not remember how we accomplished it last time.

I appreciate your assistance.

Jerry in Anchorage

I don't believe it is worth it!

I have spent nearly 3 hours this evening attempting to get it to work.
No progress at all. I estimate that I have spent over 20 hours (unsuccessfully) just attempting to boot an OS.

I did as Cool suggested above to no avail.

I reread the thread from several months ago and refreshed my memory. The conditions are different this time. Then, the system & boot drives were not the same(I do not know how or why, they just were.). They are now the same (C drive).

I realize that I sound like I am whining. Be that as it may, I am not, I am ticked off beyond words.

I must walk away and let it go of I may do something to the computer that I will regret tomorrow. This is unbelievable.

I sincerely do appreciate the efforts you folks have expended to help me. I also appreciate the developers of EasyBCD. I think that it is a very good program - as long as Linux is not in the equation.

Good night
Jerry in Anchorage

Here they are

After much anger last evening, I (today) reinstalled Grub to the root partition in the Mepis install. Next I removed the entry for Mepis in EasyBCD and saved the file. Then I added an entry for Mepis and told it where the root was and did not check the "grub is not" box and saved the file. I checked the NST folder, and NO menu.lst was present, only the nst_linux.mbr file was there.

I rebooted and selected Mepis and got a black screen with "Grub" & a single flashing
cursor.

Next, I went back to Vista and removed the Mepis entry from EasyBCD and saved the file.

Then I added Mepis, told it where root was and checked the "grub is not" box and saved
the file. Then I checked the NST folder, & there were 2 filesthere. Menu.lst and
NeoGrub.mbr. I rebooted and selected Mepis. It went through the load process till it
showed the Mepis screen that asks which kernal to boot. I selected the first one, & was
rewarded with the error 17. GAME OVER!!

OK, so here is the menu.lst from Mepis (Live CD boot).

timeout 15
color cyan/blue white/blue
foreground ffffff
background 0639a1

gfxmenu

/boot/grub/message

title MEPIS at sdc1, newest kernel
root (hd2,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz

root=/dev/sdc1 nomce quiet splash vga=791
initrd /boot/initrd.img
boot

title MEPIS at sdc1,

previous kernel (if any)
root (hd2,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz.old root=/dev/sdc1 nomce quiet

splash vga=791
boot

title MEPIS at sdc1, kernel 2.6.27-1-mepis-smp
root (hd2,0)
kernel

/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-1-mepis-smp root=/dev/sdc1 nomce quiet splash vga=791
initrd

/boot/initrd.img-2.6.27-1-mepis-smp
boot

title Windows Vista/Longhorn (loader) at sda1
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

title Windows Vista/Longhorn (loader) at sdb2
map (hd0)

(hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
rootnoverify (hd1,1)
chainloader +1

title MEMTEST
kernel

/boot/memtest86+.bin

Here is the menu.lst from the NST folder.

# NeoSmart NeoGrub Bootloader Configuration File
#
# This is the NeoGrub configuration file, and should be located at C:\NST\menu.lst
# Please see the EasyBCD Documentation for information on how to create/modify

entries:
# EasyBCD Documentation Home - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

timeout 0
default 0

title /boot/grub/menu.lst
fallback 1
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /boot/grub/menu.lst
configfile /boot/grub/menu.lst

title /grub/menu.lst
fallback 2
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /grub/menu.lst
configfile /grub/menu.lst

title /boot/grub.conf
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /boot/grub.conf
configfile /boot/grub.conf

# All your boot are belong to NeoSmart!

Below is the Vista disk management shot of my disks.

I'll be leaving the house for the remainder of the evening, & will check back late tonight.
Again, thanks for your assistance.

Jerry in Anchorage

Attachments

• Disk Catalog.JPG
    Disk Catalog.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 6
Ok, so replace what's in your Mepis menu.lst now, i.e.
timeout 15
foreground ffffff
background 0639a1

gfxmenu

/boot/grub/message

title MEPIS at sdc1, newest kernel
root (hd2,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz

root=/dev/sdc1 nomce quiet splash vga=791
initrd /boot/initrd.img
boot

title MEPIS at sdc1,

previous kernel (if any)
root (hd2,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz.old root=/dev/sdc1 nomce quiet

splash vga=791
boot

title MEPIS at sdc1, kernel 2.6.27-1-mepis-smp
root (hd2,0)
kernel

/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-1-mepis-smp root=/dev/sdc1 nomce quiet splash vga=791
initrd

/boot/initrd.img-2.6.27-1-mepis-smp
boot

rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

title Windows Vista/Longhorn (loader) at sdb2
map (hd0)

(hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
rootnoverify (hd1,1)
chainloader +1

title MEMTEST
kernel

/boot/memtest86+.bin
with this instead
timeout 15
foreground ffffff
background 0639a1

gfxmenu /boot/grub/message

title MEPIS at (hd2,0), newest kernel
root (hd2,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sdb1 nomce quiet splash vga=791 resume=/dev/sdb1
initrd /boot/initrd.img
boot

title MEPIS at (hd2,0), previous kernel (if any)
root (hd2,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz.old root=/dev/sdb1 nomce quiet splash vga=791 resume=/dev/sdb1
boot

title MEPIS at (hd2,0), kernel 2.6.27-1-mepis-smp
root (hd2,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-1-mepis-smp root=/dev/sdb1 nomce quiet splash vga=791 resume=/dev/sdb1
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.27-1-mepis-smp
boot

rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

title Windows Vista/Longhorn (loader) at sdd1
map (hd0) (hd3)
map (hd3) (hd0)
rootnoverify (hd3,0)
chainloader +1

title MEMTEST
kernel /boot/memtest86+.bin
It worked the last time you had a booting problem, so maybe it'll work again. :wink:

Did you save the menu.lst file after replacing the contents? >.< Which entry did you select in the boot menu?

Last edited:
Affirmative

Yes, I saved it. I am in Mepis now (Live CD) & double checked the file to be certain.
I selected the first version (newest kernal).
Jerry in Anchorage

Is there a folder on your Mepis root partition called "boot" and does it contain a file called "initrd.img"?
Please post the output of the following command run from the Terminal in the Live session:

Code:
su fdisk -l

Last edited:
Here you go.

Affirmative on the folder & file.

Disk /dev/sda: 300.0 GB, 300069052416 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 36481 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x7e06a008

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 21236 170570748 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda2 21236 36482 122462208 7 HPFS/NTFS

Disk /dev/sdb: 320.0 GB, 320072933376 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders
Disk identifier: 0x00000001

/dev/sdb1 1 16716 134269952 f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/sdb2 * 16716 38914 178298880 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sdb5 1 16716 134268928 7 HPFS/NTFS

Disk /dev/sdc: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders
Disk identifier: 0x46a7a360

/dev/sdc1 * 1 2167 17406396 83 Linux
/dev/sdc2 4289 19457 121844992+ c W95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/sdc3 2168 2677 4096575 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sdc4 2678 4288 12940357+ 83 Linux

Partition table entries are not in disk order

Af
/dev/sdc1 * 1 2167 17406396 83 Linux
/dev/sdc2 4289 19457 121844992+ c W95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/sdc3 2168 2677 4096575 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sdc4 2678 4288 12940357+ 83 Linux

Partition table entries are not in disk order
You have two "Linux" partitions. Are you sure sdc1 is your Mepis root partition? :wink:

Absolutely

When I did the install, I called the first one (16G) Root.
The other one, I called Home. It only contains the following folders: jmorris and lost+found. I cannot say why they are not listed that way.

Do I really need 3 folders? I have 4G of ram & lots of disk space.

Jerry

Hmm...upon comparison of your Disk Management screenshot and the fdisk ouput, I see Disk Management even managed to screw up the order of the partitions as well (in addition to the disks). :brows: For instance, your Fat 32 partition (which is shown as on "Disk 2" by Disk Management) is shown as the 4th partition (if you count starting at 1 as normal) on the disk, while fdisk shows it is actually the second partition on the disk. But that be as it may.
Basically, in Disk Management, what is shown there as Disk 2 (i.e. your Linux disk) is indeed Disk 2 in the BIOS's mind. But, your other drives are not displayed accurately by Disk Management. What shows there as Disk 0 is actually Disk 1 (sdb), and what shows there as Disk 1 is actually Disk 0 (sda). :??
But regardless, if everything was installed correctly on your system, Mepis (and all its boot files of Grub) should be installed to (hd2,0) which translates to sdc1.
Which makes the fact that it didn't boot when you pointed it there in your menu.lst a real mystery. :brows:

Ok, so change all "sdb1"s to "sdc1"s instead in your Mepis menu.lst. Then proceed to copy over into your NeoGrub menu.lst the entire contents of your Mepis menu.lst, replacing the existing contents of the NeoGrub menu.lst.

Then try to boot again from NeoGrub.

BTW, I see you got rid of your "Original Vista" disk which only had one partition. I'm wondering if its possible that that disk maybe contained something essential to your Mepis boot.

Last edited:
Back